• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft XL: I just don't understand this disc

my really beat pro d xl turns so hard that i use it mainly for just backhand spike rollers.

i mean, it TURNS hard.

perfect when you need the most understable disc in your bag.

I am not a fan of D plastic in general. Love DX for a lot of discs, but Discrafts equivalent just doesn't seem to tickle my fancy at all.

I am not a fan of D plastic in general. Love DX for a lot of discs, but Discrafts equivalent just doesn't seem to tickle my fancy at all.

I've had Zones, Drones, Magnets, Rattlers, Buzzzes, and Bangers in nice pro D blends. The quality is hit and miss though, much like DX these days.

When you look at the wing of an XL, it looks like a cross between an Eagle-X and an Eagle-L. That's about how I would classify their stability.

I'd try out an XL in a different plastic than FLX. FLX plastic is such a squirrely bitch from mold to mold.

FLX Avenger SS = More stable than most Z Avenger SS I've thrown
FLX Predator = So much more stable than any other Pred I've thrown (and I own maybe 20 Preds)
FLX Surge = Flippy out of the gate. Would make a bomb roller disc if it weren't so flexy.

As always with Discraft, color means quite a bit as well.
If you want a more stable XL, get a Z XL in pink or red. If you're looking for a less stable Z XL, try green or yellow.

That's odd, I had a FLX XL that I couldn't turn over if I tried. I used it fore short forehand shots or into the wind like a slightly more stable teebird. Generally speaking FLX plastic sucks, if you want an XL get it in Z or X

I have a red Z XL that is about as stable as a Meteor. It was like that from the get go. It's predictable in a tailwind, but that is it.

Could be the FLX plastic, what's the weight? I would think if it's not heavy, it won't be very stable. My beat in 1.0 Elite X XS is still pretty stable.

I had an old stamp Z XL that I loved but I threw it into a river. I got a ESP one in trade and it was complete garbage. It was squirrely, gummy, and ridiculously easy to turn over into epic fail. My 150 Champ Leo is leagues more stable than that disc was. I haven't revisited the mold since.

Wow? My Z XL is like a shorter River and just a tick less stable than a Stalker? Use it allot in the woods, but really surprised people are saying that it is as stable as Eagles, and a 1.5 rating? It holds straight lines like a Comet with a little bit of hyzer and all snap. Think of it as a slower river.

Well, based on this thread, the XL is a very unpredictable disc from plastic to plastic. I'll probably look at a Gazelle or a Champ Leopard instead then.

The XL isn't really unpredictable from plastic to plastic, it's really just the FLX plastic that varies wildly.

You have to understand that all the people who are telling you their input on XL's all have different throwing styles and power levels and form flaws.

The XL is easier to throw far than the Champ Leopard and Gazelle. I don't have a bad word to say about the Ch Leopard and Gazelle, but they are only marginally longer than most midranges. The XL is just another step up in distance, it's right up there with Teebirds and Eagles.

I guess the lesson here is just to be wary of FLX plastic.

The XL is a great midrange that can cover a wide variety of shots with the same mold. Pro D XL is very DX Leopard like, while the Z XL is more Champ Teebird in stability. I would not recommend the FLX plastic. In fact, I believe we just had a long thread about FLX plastic the told of the advantages and disadvantages.

I threw ESP XLs as my primary fairway driver for quite a while. I found XLs to be very workable (turnable, but with a decent fade) and sneaky long. I had a 166 orange ESP that was pretty stable, and a pink ESP in the low 160s that was easier to turn.

I would probably still be throwing XLs if I had not switched to 150s for drivers. If Discraft made 150 ESP and Z XLs I would definitely give them another look.

The XL is a great midrange that can cover a wide variety of shots with the same mold. Pro D XL is very DX Leopard like, while the Z XL is more Champ Teebird in stability. I would not recommend the FLX plastic. In fact, I believe we just had a long thread about FLX plastic the told of the advantages and disadvantages.

I meant to say that the XL is a great fairway driver not midrange.

FLX plastic can be realy understable when it is realy realy soft. I wouldnt trust it, to be honest. I have one Buzzz in FLX and while it is a great disc, I would never use it for throws that I normaly use a buzzz for.

Seems like the ESP is behaving like an old Pro-D. It should be more stable than that. You may have a lemon on your hands.

It's funny cause this thread started out talking about a bad XL and I start thinking about the good XLs I had in X plastic. Had to fight myself from ordering a couple again. lol I know there is a reason I chose the Leopard over them, but they were nice discs.

Latest posts