• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

I agree I was hoping for a little more stability as well. I threw two in the 170-172 and three in the 174 range. And the lighter weight ones were def less stable I would say they were comparable to the Memorial ESP Nukes and then the heavier ones were more comparable to the first run ESP nukes. So they are def still very usable but I still have to be careful cause If I hit it to hard they wont come back out of their turn.

a heads up to the Nuke throwers, we just released my Halloween stamp for Disc Nation and to my surprise they got stamped on Black ESP Nukes and Glow Z Nukes among other stuff.

here's the stamp... click the image and you'll see all the Halloween discs up for sale.

I was pretty happy with my nukes this weekend at the danish championships. Though tossing it into a headwind is not a good idea, but no wind or tailwind situations it really shines. It is really long, and you I dont have to nut it to get it to go.

(that said I think it is a VERY situational disc, and if you dont have any open holes at your course, there wouldnt be much point in using it.)

My ESP 170 Nuke worked well for me in moderate headwinds last week. Released flat or a few degrees of hyzer depending on the wind it flew beautifully. Released anny high on a distance line I achieved the longest headwind throw I've ever had thanks to the added lift of the headwind. 429'. It would have skipped way farther had it not hit a wall because the field ran out of space.

I love the z nuke, but the plastic sucks. Mine is already getting thrashed with hardly any abuse, I have a z preadtor with 20x the abuse that has hardly a scratch. The shitty plastic has forced me to switch to eco star destroyers.

J Espi said:
I love the z nuke, but the plastic sucks. Mine is already getting thrashed with hardly any abuse, I have a z preadtor with 20x the abuse that has hardly a scratch. The shitty plastic has forced me to switch to eco star destroyers.

I've been impressed with the Z plastic in the Nuke, of course I'm comparing it to the ESP...It is not the same plastic used in a lot of the older runs of Preds, that's for sure. Not to mention stability difference in a Pred is a lot less noticeable. They have to add filler to the plastic so that a larger volume (Nuke mold) will have the same mass (168-175). I've had my Z's for a bit, and I've not noticed too fast of a break in. A couple had some brand new Boss-like stability, but broke into their flippier Nuke character with a few hits. They have not continued to get flippy at that rate though. I just switched from Eco Destroyers and they lose their stability as fast (or maybe faster) than the Z Nuke. The plastic holds up visually, but the stability gets really flippy. My most broken in E* Destroyer looked like my new backups, but was about a -4 in HSS.

if the destroyer is a suitable replacement in your bag for a nuke than you probably don't have the arm to really air either of them out. Destroyer is way more stable than a nuke.
Nuke=Hyzerflip Bomb disc
Destroyer=Stable straight bomb disc.

Thats probably why the flight on your Nuke seemed thrashed so much, is it starts off a hell of a lot less stable.

The only thing I really have is disc golf is a big arm, that being said when I say thrashed it is visably thrashed. I play on a very very heavily wooded course and I am not horribly inaccurate but I am not by any means pinpoint and the Z nuke plastic is just not up for the pounding.

Thatdirtykid said:
if the destroyer is a suitable replacement in your bag for a nuke than you probably don't have the arm to really air either of them out. Destroyer is way more stable than a nuke.
Nuke=Hyzerflip Bomb disc
Destroyer=Stable straight bomb disc.

Thats probably why the flight on your Nuke seemed thrashed so much, is it starts off a hell of a lot less stable.

It depends which Destroyer...I went on a full on Destroyer kick earlier this year and basically tested every 170g+ version available. Flatter and gummier ones are less stable than some of the Nukes I've thrown. I used the E*'s the most, and as I mentioned above, they broke in really fast for premium plastic and became very flippy in a couple months.

I've been testing a few different Z Nukes for a few weeks now. I have 4 different colors, all 173-174. I have pale yellow (almost clear), light red, pink, and a Glo. I'm very impressed. It is without a doubt the best of the wide rimmed drivers for pure D. The best way I can think of to describe this disc is a faster Flash. It is VERY straight for a wide rimmed disc. For example, hole #1 @ Cliff Stephens is over 500' in the long position, but it is pretty tight. There is a road width walking path that plays the entire length of the hole on the left side and woods/ditch beyond that. There is a huge oak tree about 380' down the fairway that prevents long hyzers, and water on the right if you turn your disc over. So the perfect shot is one that goes on as straight of a helix as possible and fades as little as possible. Since discs got faster than the Wraith it seems like 90% of people end up throwing a wide rimmed disc on a shot that goes straight, fades onto the pavement, and skips into the shule. Anyway, the Z Nuke is the first fast disc I've used on this hole that is relatively easy to keep straight and on the fairway and still get 420'+ of D. I throw it with about 5-10 degrees of hyzer, it flips up and barely over in a very straight line, and then fades forward. Today I landed on the sidewalk at the very end of the fade and the disc was so spent that it stayed on the pavement.

All of my different Z Nukes fly pretty similarly. My red one is the flattest (though they all have nice domes) and is also the least stable, but it's not dramatically so (maybe -.25 less HSS). The Glo is just as flat as the red, but it is as stable as the others. The clearish yellow is the most stable, but again, not by much.

I still prefer a Boss for hyzers that must hold their angle, for winds in excess of 10-15mph, and in the wide open where I can take a full swing. Besides that the Z Nuke has taken over my max D slot.

I will also mention that the Z Nuke is one of the nicest discs for my FH that I've ever thrown. For some reason it comes out of my hand 100% clean and is very forgiving from a hyzer release. I get a long shot just about every time, but I don't throw anything but straight/hyzer lines with it. I can't trust it for a helix FH, but my FH just isn't that good.

I just grabbed some more Nukes as it's now solidified in my bag enough to seek backups....Among them is a purple one that is only 172, but has a PLH that is visibly higher than any of my others. I'm looking forward to testing them out tomorrow.

This is the longest, most accurate driver I've ever thrown @ 85%. It has noticeably improved the consistency of my D drives due to this.

How much more HSS and LSS is the Z Nuke vs the ESP? My ESP is not PDGA legal any more and I want a more durable replacement that also flies far. That ESP is quite hefty and a little bit too much for me for general use but i do get a few different lines out of it. Is the power requirement of a Z higher than that of ESP?

JR said:
How much more HSS and LSS is the Z Nuke vs the ESP? My ESP is not PDGA legal any more and I want a more durable replacement that also flies far. That ESP is quite hefty and a little bit too much for me for general use but i do get a few different lines out of it. Is the power requirement of a Z higher than that of ESP?

It depends on what your ESP Nuke was like. In general the Z is very similar (and pretty damn consistent disc to disc) to the FR ESPs. The Z flies on better lines with smoother transitions while turning over and coming back and seem better in the wind, but I wouldn't say they have more HSS. The Z does seem to have a bit less LSS though. I had many shots with the ESP that went out and then flipped late and unpredictably and I haven't seen this type of behavior from my Zs at all.

To sum it up...The Z Nuke is a better mold made with better plastic.

Thanks discspeed. That's cool about the Z vs ESP because mine was a FR and it was too LSS for me and if i get the same HSS with better gust handling imma gonna get me some Z love :-D

i dont know about gust handling, if we are talking gusts less than 5-6 m/s then maybe. But anymore than that and it was flip city for me. But anything else than that they are a delight to throw. Very easy to get going when compared to a force, and looong. and they respond nicely to tuning

i have a 1st run z nuke(blue), but it was so-so to me, my E* destroyer was more predictible and could be used on narrower fairways, are the regular production runs noticibly different in stability?

Latest posts