• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Zone

zensuit

Par Member
Okay, now I know why these work so well in the wind. It's not all that different from throwing a manhole cover.

Does anybody use these for anything except putting?

Z

I'll throw a manhole cover if it gets me a few more yards and tends to stay in the fairway more. I'm having some good results from some, not all, of the Discraft stuff. I think to say only Innova, or only Discraft, or only Gateway, etc. is going to deprive a DG'er of some good discs for their game. Eclectic is good!

I can't grip the Pro D Zone and so it always slips and i've given up on that one. I think I might like the ESP version better.

I can't grip the Pro D Zone and so it always slips and i've given up on that one. I think I might like the ESP version better.

I'm very much a discraft thrower and it is easier to grip the esp plastic, imo.

Finding the Zone's Zone

To give you an idea of my level, I drive consistantly at 320 ft, use mid ranges out to 260 ft, and putters for shots under 150 ft. In my area, I would say that I am a low end advanced amature player. Nothing special, but I have the basic shots down.

I picked up an 175 g ESP Zone last sunday, and was able to play 2 rounds today, and practiced throwing at a target for 40 minutes earlier this evening. Today we had consistant 15 mph wind, and almost all holes I played today were open to the wind.

I agree with the earlier statments that throwing the Zone is like throwing a manhole cover (so aim a little higher if you use this as a putter). It has virtually no glide, which is very nice in the wind. If you throw the Zone with the nose up, it will continue climbing, act just like a Drone and hook left in a hurry.

If you throw the Zone level or slightly nose down, no higher than chest high, and with a little snap, it will go dead straight for the vast majority of its flight, and only glide left during the last quarter of its flight. For me the glide left was more of a gently glide than a hard hook.

If you do not put enough snap on the disc, then it will glide left for most of its flight. Kind of like a long hyzer shot.

If you try to hyzer the disc, which I did a couple of times on accident, it seems to hook left just about as much as a drone, and with just as much speed.

I did not drive with the Zone, so I do not know how far I can throw it, but I was making decent approach shots from around 100 ft (I actually hit the chains on one shot, but no stick:().

All in all, I have yet to find a comfortable grip with the Drone, where as the Zone fits my hand like a glove (rim feels like a slimmer Aviar P&A), so I will leave it in my bag for some more testing.