• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for beginner female?

Field practice (just throwing discs over and over and over somewhere open) is a great way to teach the muscles to groove the throw and to learn what each disc will do without having to worry about scores or lines or hitting stuff. Stand farther apart than when playing catch and have her drive to your location then work on your mid/short game while throwing them all back to her. Use both of your discs so you can experience the differences that weight changes make, too. :D

Eventually you'll have to keep moving farther and farther apart, and that's a GOOD thing! :thmbup:

Last edited:
Any putter recommendations and weights?

Maybe thinking of getting a Dart for her. I know it is personal preference, but the local Play It Again doesn't have much (no dedicated store that I know of) ...

I have a 171g DX Aviar P&A, 175g R-Pro Aviar for her to try too.

Any weight or putter recommendations?

I figure Putter, her current 149g DX Cobra and a lightweight 155-160g Leopard (can't seem to find any 160g Leopards though) for a three disc set ...

Putters are so highly personal it's hard to suggest something.

I started with an Aviar P&A but have settled on the Soft Banger GT as the one with the best feel for me. I'm also playing around with a couple of Omega Supersofts (same mold as Aviar but softer plastic) and just picked up an FLX Challenger for sh!ts and giggles. I got 3 Gateway glow putters (Magic, Wizard, and VooDoo), but I'm not really loving them so far.

Putter weights in the high 160s to 175 would be the choice.

My wife has just started going discing with me this past year more often....

She drives 75% of the time with an organic wizard..... she can put it out about 200 feet at her best.

we throw alot of normal frisbee(ultrastar)... so driving with a putter has been easiest for her.

She is now driving more with a mid-range(buzzz), but with less constitency than a putter. but she is getting better. and putting it further than the wiz by 25 feet or so.

I suggest starting out simple with a putter that drive with some ease.... like a wizard or voodoo or something of that nature...

I have played with a lot of newbies (including females and children) and tried many molds. The best results I've seen are with the ESP Meteor.

Putter wise, just have her find something she likes the feel of. I've seen girls use full weight Rhyno's and learn to hyze-putt with great success. Or, if she'd rather toss something straight at it, try a sonic, polecat, or rattler. Those are more like frisbees. Again, it's about her grip. Don't get her a Hydra, though. Just don't.

Not disc selection advice, but technique.

As a former baseball player myself, I have found that throwing a disc shares the same motions as throwing a baseball/softball. The forehand shot should be easy to translate. Tell her that the motion, follow through, and release are the exact same as turning a double play(if she was a short stop) or a quick shot over to first(if she played second base). Throwing a backhand is the same smooth motion as hitting a ball, as well. The only difference is that you do it from the opposite side of the plate. If she can concentrate on keeping her hips and shoulders square, just like softball, then it won't matter too much if she throws a roc, buzz, comet, leopard, or any other "beginner" disc.

I would suggest heavier for putting and maybe a second lighter putter for driving. There is nothing more magical than learning to drive a putter and you might as well start her now, she will thank you some day when women she is playing against are throwing leopards on a tight 160' shot and she drops her putter right next to the basket 4/5 times.

Thats good advice. I have been keeping my eye out for lower weight warlocks (my wife really likes them) so she will have more contrast between the two putters she carries.

She has been playing with me more this year, and is probably not considered a beginner anymore, but she does well with her current set up.
150 JLS main Distance driver
160 JLS Headwind/harder finish distance driver
165 Gazelle Control driver
168 Diablo DT overstable ( doesn't throw much should be replaced with a whippet or something)
160's Comet
160's Roc
170 KC Roc overstable mid
170 Warlock approaches
173 Warlock Soft Putts

She has been doing most of the disc selection for a while, and has been happy figuring out more for herself, and playing with the few ladies that come out for leagues.

Latest posts