• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

I think that an Ace is exactly that, an Ace. Even if it's made on a mulligan, (as much it would kill me if it ever happened) I don't think that it would be an Ace if several throws have already been made.

Unless it is the only time in my life I will ever get to play that particular hole and it is just to cool to pass up, I try to resist the temptation to throw mulligans/B-teams on aceable holes, just in case I do accidentally make it. I don't want to live with a bogus "ace" in the back of my mind.

Do I dare even mention the words Black Ace?

cubby is the king of aces, and more often then not he probably warms up on the hole and then sets the video camera then sinks his ace, it counts as an ace because it doesn't matter how many throws you had ias long as you went from the teepad to the basket its an ace, its no different then me hitting an ace on my first drive at my home course because well i have probably played my home course a hundred times this summer, i can ussually park it on every hole, however sometimes i have bad luck and just barely miss the gap i always go through, or the wind throws me off.. every throw is different, even if they are all in a row, different disc, different luck, different wind...ect, ect.... so i believe it counts as an ace....

I'm sorry, but I dont think 90% of Cubbys aces should count! He sets the camera up, and keeps throwing t-shots until he makes it in..

Aaaaaaand, I don't think it counts… In that case, lets let a field goal kicker just keep kicking until its good. Lets let a QB keep throwing the ball until he gets his TD. Lets let a hockey player keep shooting until he scores. Lets let a basketball player keep shooting free throws until he makes one. Lets let a soccer player keep kicking until he scores. Lets let a pitcher keep pitching until he throws a strike, and let the batter keep swinging until he hit's a homerun…. LMAO

I'd call it a real nice shot but thats it.
one more voice for the "gotta be your first throw" crowd.

Call it a "pink ace"

Yeah, that is hillarious. I wonder what the most embarassing thing we could call it is so that there is no way anyone would want to brag about an Ace that isn't an Ace.

I played with a guy once who hit chains and had it pop out, not an Ace and he still did all the ink stuff on the back of the disc. I was about to steal his sharpie away, but he did hit a real Ace earlier in the round.

i think its funny how soooo many of you get so bent out of shape about this....get off the rag and stop whining about it...your just jealous cuz you haven't/didn't hit one....what a bunch of sore losers...who cares what the dude calls it....let him call it whatever makes him happy, and you can call it whatever your crusty a$$ wants to call it...personally i dont give a damn, bc it doesnt really affect me, its not gonna change my mood/view towards my aces, nor is it gonna affect the way i play....so why dont you get off your little "you know all" soap box and stfu

thank you :)

MLB hitters don't get a HR added to their stats for putting one over the fence in batting practice... Good shot, but who cares. I don't really keep track of my own count, but have hit plenty. Tons of metal this summer, but on a dry streak for aces.

i think its funny how soooo many of you get so bent out of shape about this....get off the rag and stop whining about it...your just jealous cuz you haven't/didn't hit one....what a bunch of sore losers...who cares what the dude calls it....let him call it whatever makes him happy, and you can call it whatever your crusty a$$ wants to call it...personally i dont give a damn, bc it doesnt really affect me, its not gonna change my mood/view towards my aces, nor is it gonna affect the way i play....so why dont you get off your little "you know all" soap box and stfu

thank you :)

well if you get into that then you have people claiming they have like 300 aces when more than half are on a sixty foot hole. i mean seriously that is a freaking putt, if it was your first ace thats understandable but come on.

"Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?"

Is it a strike if you use two balls to knock down all the pins?

HELL NO!!! Then I would have several more aces than 2. There is no debating it, an ace is your 1st throw from the tee, mullies don't count

On another note: This is why I think Cubby's #'s are skewed, he just sits there and throws drive after drive until he hits it, the other throws are edited out

I teach in the public schools and have to deal with touchy, feelly stuff all the time. You can not acknowledge someone or give someone an award without doing it for everybody. It's making of youth soft and unappreciative. This is sort of that same thing. If someone wants to go throw a couple hundred discs so they can beat their chest about an ace, so what. They are just living up to what they have been taught and this is their way of feeling good about themselves. That's how things work now a days. Personally, if I'm on the course, I'm playing. Practice is what I do at home with my portable basket or in a field or whatever. I do sometimes throw multiple drives to evaluate discs or my mechanics, but if one of those additional throws finds its way into a basket I'll wahoo, maybe high five and get excited but that ace would never make a scorecard cause it is like the previously mentioned batting practice home run. So call it want you want but not having scored an ace in 10+ years, all this ace talk is really making me not feel so good about myself. I think I'll go stick my head in the oven.

First time I ever saw an ace was on a hole that had a very sharp mando that forced the throws to fall right (RHFH). The shot missed the mando (a tree) some how missed all the other trees and skipped in. With us all being fairly new at the time (this was YEARS ago) we counted it without question. now that I've been around a while I question whether we would do the same today. I wouldn't take an ace away from a noob or ruin his moment, but I'm wondering what the (how can I say this right?) Disc Snobs on here would say about it. :p

I am as yet undecided if it were to happen to me at this point. I have one, so it's not like it would be as important as if it were my first. If it were my first, I would count it without a doubt.

I agree with most people on here that while it was a great shot and definatly worth some excitment, it's not an ace. sorry.

What? I've played both ball golf and disc golf for years. They mean the same thing...they're synonyms. Do you consider it a "hole-in-one" if you throw it out of bounds on your first shot and tee up another and make it? By your definition, you are implying that this situation would be a hole-in-one that would count as a 3. Definitely not.
Yes i would consider that a Hole in One , one throw from the tee into the basket "hole in one" . Thats still a very good shot and should be commended but its not an ace. also from what i understand by the rule book you cant re-tee an o.b. unless it lost. The rule states it can be moved to the previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc .

Last edited:
Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

No, they do not.

thread-lock.jpg

Keep in mind my acceptance of this rule eliminates my only "ace". I have no aces.

Last edited:
I hit a fourth teeshot ace and a second teeshot ace this month, and I'm not counting either. I had my only three aces back in February too, so I feel like I'm due...