• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Do people still throw PDs?

Beable

Double Eagle Member
I don't buy a lot of discs and haven't played much for the last few years. PDs have been my primary drivers since like 2011. I carry C, S, and P PDs and they cover everything from overstable to understable for that speed. But when I went to look for replacements P PDs this week, I'm not seeing them for sale anywhere (new).

Is this just due to Covid or is there another similar disc that people throw more these days? I'd prefer to not rely on weird, rare plastic that can't be replaced.

They discontinued the P line PD, which is when I stopped throwing them. Availability also sucks for the S line for the most part

Availability is kind of a pain for a lot of manufacturers. Discraft has some nice alternatives in the Vulture and Anax. I went back to the Orion LF which seems fine because it's a bit more obscure manufacturer.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will look into those Discraft discs. I'll probably throw my PPDs until they die though. I think I have 4 total, including 3 of the DGR ones. Bummer that they're not making them, I love how they fly.

Another option would be the Innova Thunderbird. I believe it's the same bottom/wing mold with a different top. Plus you can get stock runs in all the same plastics that you're used to with the PD.

MOLF is the closest P-PD replacement that I've tried.

I'm in a similar boat where I'm out of PD's and my backups are Roaming Thunder CD2's. I just realized those are getting valuable so it's sort of dumb to start throwing them now. Probably gonna flip them for a stack of OLFs. I am considering the Legacy Vengeance as a replacement too.

I can't get over how much DM likes getting in their own way throughout their growth cycle...

Awesome molds that were overlooked because of lame vector images stamped on them that didn't represent any actual correlation to the disc name.

Poorly handled *glamour* releases that ranged from far less than advertised availability to basically allowing a single purchase to buy out the entire inventory.

Current short/non-existent supply of legacy molds that got them to where they're at today, but with no eta on restock. But oh, hey! Buy this mold that we'll fake hype due to limited quantity that we don't even produce inhouse.

Due to hoarding I have more than enough DM molds that I throw to last a lifetime, but if I were in the market for DM discs these days I'd definitely look elsewhere. They *had* a lot of solid discs in their lineup that they could've made a priority for production. Too bad.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot the obligatory "PD is a longer Teebird" !!

Last edited:
I can't get over how much DM likes getting in their own way throughout their growth cycle...

Awesome molds that were overlooked because of lame vector images stamped on them that didn't represent any actual correlation to the disc name.

Poorly handled *glamour* releases that ranged from far less than advertised availability to basically allowing a single purchase to buy out the entire inventory.

Current short/non-existent supply of legacy molds that got them to where they're at today, but with no eta on restock. But oh, hey! Buy this mold that we'll fake hype due to limited quantity that we don't even produce inhouse.

Due to hoarding I have more than enough DM molds that I throw to last a lifetime, but if I were in the market for DM discs these days I'd definitely look elsewhere. They *had* a lot of solid discs in their lineup that they could've made a priority for production. Too bad.
With regards to the last part, I think I've heard rumors that DM has been feuding with Innova for awhile now about getting their legacy molds higher in priority with Innova's production schedule. Hence their branching out to Latitude and Yikun for alternate disc lines.

Oh and to answer OP's question, I still bag this factory 2nd C-PD that I have like 3 aces with. It's gotten so straight I'd like to put a fresh one in for more fade but yeah, it's slim pickings out there.

With regards to the last part, I think I've heard rumors that DM has been feuding with Innova for awhile now about getting their legacy molds higher in priority with Innova's production schedule. Hence their branching out to Latitude and Yikun for alternate disc lines.
That's actually a reasonably fair explanation, albeit still unacceptable from my perspective. :D

Also, Bro D, 2nd run C-PD's were plus molds... is that what you're throwing, or were you thinking 3rd run (non+, flat, stiff, OS)? If you want replacements for either, I can hit you up if/when I ever get back to my out of state storage unit.

I throw a Dark Maul 2 in my glow bag and like it a lot. Also was given a 159 SPD recently and though I don't know if I would bag it on the reg by it flies great.

Could be strategy by Innova to separate. Maybe because Innova & Infinite have such a good partnership.

I like the FD3 but have backed off from Discmania because it's too annoying to find flat stars. Too many limited releases etc.

Personally, I think the Titanium is like a tad shorter PPD. Where the PD is in control/distance bracket of range, I think the Vulture truly is a faster fairway. I would put it between a Teebird and PD, with it closer to the PD.

Looking at my ITB I got rid of PD's about a year and a half ago. Started out with P & S lines, went to just S then dropped them altogether because recent were getting too beefy for my liking. The straighter S- Lines were pretty awesome, ones with patent numbers were money and there were a decent amount out there without patents that still had the same characteristics. Ultimately did come down to low availability.

Even if I wanted to, you can't find em anywhere. I picked up a couple Anaxs for the slot instead, seems legit.

That's actually a reasonably fair explanation, albeit still unacceptable from my perspective. :D

Also, Bro D, 2nd run C-PD's were plus molds... is that what you're throwing, or were you thinking 3rd run (non+, flat, stiff, OS)? If you want replacements for either, I can hit you up if/when I ever get back to my out of state storage unit.

I'm honestly not sure what run it is, I got it as a factory 2nd/x-out. I don't think it's a + rim but I'm not great at feeling those unless it's really plussy. It's flat but not board flat, always had really strong HSS.

I'm not desperate for a 1:1 replacement but I definitely appreciate the offer, brother! Don't bother yourself on my account. :thmbup:

Love me some PD's. Got stacks of freak P-lines (most fun disc ever) , penned s-lines and some freak s-lines.

I have a good supply of older patent number S-Lines and 3rd run C-Lines. Those are what I usually bag. P-Lines are nearly impossible to find nowadays. I also use a 13th run C-Line in place of a Firebird at times.

Latest posts