• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play solo rounds, and if so how does it change your round?

I used to play solo a ton the first couple years. When I first really caught the bug I couldn't find people to play with enough. I also wanted to play when I wanted to play and not wait around for people or travel all over to play a course I was less than stoked on. I was also making some great progress and liked experimenting and trying shots twice and stuff when there weren't others around.

Now I don't get out as often and prefer to play with a handful of close friends that get out. I enjoy the game still but I realized I topped out and wouldn't ever be a top contender so I got less obsessive with the competition and just enjoy the companionship and outdoors.

Some may hate that I am considered to be such a "casual" player these days but some may also hate the hardcore guys at the courses so I figure it evens out. I'm respectful while I'm out there and that's about all I can say.

Solo I throw extra discs like everyone else, but I still try to keep score by choosing the disc I would use in a money round first from each spot, and playing that shot regardless of how much better the rest are. Usually I still take a couple mulligans, or play a cali round so I can practice the strategy in case I'm the odd man out at doubles league. I also never take my big bag out solo or I destroy my shoulder from taking too many shots everywhere.

I also like to bring extra putters and play the all-in game on anything inside the circle before I can move to the next hole.

I spend a lot of time playing solo. It lets me work on things that I know need improving. When playing with other people, the competitive juices kick in and I want to win.

I'll do things like every upshot is an anny, etc... to keep the parts of the game I struggle with current.

I play solo a few times a week as I work noon to 8pm. I can zip through an early round in the am & make it to work. Play with friends or league most weekends.

I play better by myself 99% of the time. Must be just relaxed or less pressure.

Most of my play is via solo rounds (even though I'm a pretty sociable guy). I enjoy disc golf in any format. I work a school day/year schedule, which means I can get my rounds in earlier in the afternoon/ evening than most folks, and on holidays and weekends.

We're also blessed with a lot of good courses in the Cincinnati area, so I can most often find a place that's not too busy. For extra practice, I throw two sets of discs and score them against each other. Sometimes (like yesterday), I played a 'real' round and just forced myself to throw one extra off each tee, but could only use a form I wouldn't normally (forehands and rollers, since I'm dominantly rhbh). A couple of times a month (if possible), I like to get out of town and bag new courses the same way. Lone wolf on a new course is really enjoyable to me for some reason.

I usually find the faster pace and relaxed attitude mean these solo rounds are lower than tourney rounds. I don't know why I mess up a few shots a round when playing with a really good buddy. I need to relax for those rounds, and really go for the zen relaxation for tournaments! :eek:

I mainly play solo due to family and other obligations. As a newcomer, it's helped me considerably due to the fact that if I throw a bad shot, I can reset and shoot again or switch to a different disc and try a different line.

I am new to the sport and new to Maine so I almost exclusively play solo rounds. I also play solo when I travel for work in other states.

The one issue I have had is spotting discs, especially on courses with blind shots. I tend to play courses that are new to me (especially when on the road) and this makes for some frustrating times searching for discs. Thank god for this site because I am able to scope out courses prior to going so I can avoid heavy brush or too many blind shots.

I also learned the benefit of just throwing a mid range or putter and laying up if necessary. Not worth worrying about my score when I end up spending 45 min looking for a disc.

Rarely. Disc golf is a social sport to me. My wife plays as well, so I have a nearly permanent built in golf partner. The few times I might head out solo, I would work to hook up with others on the course to play.

I play solo all the time, but if I catch up to someone else or a small group I'll ask if they want to throw together. There's a group of retirees that hit up my local course daily that I'll throw with if I can help it, I nicknamed them the Golden Girls. During solo play the first disc thrown is the one that counts if I'm actually keeping score . Sometimes solo rounds suck because I usually air out a few , which usually has me looking for at least one errant throw for 20-30 minutes each solo round. I'll even do safari if the course has the landscaping needed to get creative just to mix it up.

I play a bunch of solo rounds, and even more rounds with just my wife (and dog) and I that I treat basically the same as solo rounds. I'll throw extra shots to try out fun lines, take an extra shot on missed putts, not really count score unless I feel like it that day etc.

I mostly play alone, and I play to win (against the course). I rarely have a really good scoring round when playing with others, but I ALWAYS have more fun.

I play mostly solo rounds, but don't play nearly as well solo compared to with someone else. I think its because I don't concentrate as hard when I'm by myself.

I play solo 75% of the time, and I'm working hard to reduce that number. I shoot so much better when I play alone, even when I abide by every rule. At first I assumed it was because I'm competitive, and put too much pressure on myself to win, but I shoot worse even when playing with people who have no chance of beating me, or that I have almost no chance of beating. I've realized that it's not competition, but timing. I want to throw my tee shot, walk up to my disc, and throw my approach. The less I think the better I shoot. So my challenge is working on taking my time more when I play solo, to mimic the conditions I find myself under when playing with groups.

I'm debating the merits of throwing a second shot with my eyes closed every few shots. It should do a good job of mimicking the way guys in my usual group watch their shots to the ground...:rolleyes:

Early morning weekend solo rounds, especially on wooded courses, are awesome. Empty course, lots of nature around you, and if you can throw that extra shot any time you damn well feel like it.

This. Also it works best around family, work, etc. Plus I can plow through 2 rounds on long courses in 3 hours. I find that I putt worse solo though, since I don't pay as close attention -- I should stop doing that and reinforcing bad habits.

About the only time I'm not playing a solo round is during league, or a tourney. I can only get on the course a couple of times per week. Its usually at a time when I have the course to myself, so I will take at least 4 shots from every tee. Out of those, I will shoot 4 from the worst lie, and so on.

I play solo rounds mostly for the increased exercise. I don't run the course but I walk it as fast as possible. I play tourney rules and keep score (to par in my head) and I rarely throw second putts (or shots). Also, I tee off with my off hand (lefty backhand) to learn and develop new lines and to take a bit of pressure off myself attempting to shoot a "great" score every round...

When I play solo, and if I throw multiple shots (usually I don't), I always continue play from the worst lie...

... unless it's a PITA... :eek: