• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you Scoober (Brodie style)?

txmxer

* Ace Member *
Watching Goat Hill, there was one 40' putt Brodie threw the Scoober. Clanked metal, but not in.

For the right situation, it seems like a pretty functional technique.

I started to throw a few this evening and the weather turned bad before I could really try it out.

RH Scoober, it seemed like in a left to right crosswind it was really handy. Right to left not so much.

It seems like a good way to get a little more snap on an upside down putt.

Do you Scoober ? When?

I throw them when, "****...I know I can't make this putt. I should be able to but I can't, so I'll take a tap in on my next stroke."

To elaborate, foliage/brush/guardian trees/whatever occasionally make putting borderline impossible. FWIW I play mostly woods golf. They're great at sliding or skipping off of hard pack [dirt] and even mulch, less so grass. Laying up or pitching out after a rough drive/approach are inevitable and that's when I throw them...for the tap in on my next shot.

I'd rather throw a grenade, hammer, thumber, turbo putt, hell even a "useless" or "nothing" (same throw different names) if I can. But if the shot calls for scoober then I listen to Gaia and throw a scoober. I don't like throwing them, but I do if that helps me score better.

I throw them when, "****...I know I can't make this putt. I should be able to but I can't, so I'll take a tap in on my next stroke."

To elaborate, foliage/brush/guardian trees/whatever occasionally make putting borderline impossible. FWIW I play mostly woods golf. They're great at sliding or skipping off of hard pack [dirt] and even mulch, less so grass. Laying up or pitching out after a rough drive/approach are inevitable and that's when I throw them...for the tap in on my next shot.

I'd rather throw a grenade, hammer, thumber, turbo putt, hell even a "useless" or "nothing" (same throw different names) if I can. But if the shot calls for scoober then I listen to Gaia and throw a scoober. I don't like throwing them, but I do if that helps me score better.

Is the "I don't like to throw them" a Brodie thing or something else ?

I could not care less that it's Brodie's gig. I want to score (baby)!

Austin Powers reference.

In my minimal throws, I liked the control of the flick and the apparent control. I'm going to work on it this week some.

Trust me that "scoobers" have been around longer than Brodie has been alive. I have been throwing it for three decades as a recovery shot. Not very often at the chains, but certainly a lot to get there.

I've only tried it a couple times. Usually in the wrong situation because it still doesn't compute in my brain. It is something I'd like to get better at though.

And hey Grip, what is the "useless" or "nothing" shots you mentioned? Never heard of either one. Maybe it's called something different around here. Do tell.

Trust me that "scoobers" have been around longer than Brodie has been alive. I have been throwing it for three decades as a recovery shot. Not very often at the chains, but certainly a lot to get there.

Got it. I've seen the old videos. Scoob(ie/er) has lots of history and has been used for lots of different OH throws.
I don't care that it's now a Brodie thing. But I am referring to the upside down flick he throws, so as to differentiate from other techniques that look like a good way to tear a rotator cuff.

Wind blows la lot around here and the more techniques one has for touch throws the better. This one seems to work well for specific lines and/or wind conditions.

Got it. I've seen the old videos. Scoob(ie/er) has lots of history and has been used for lots of different OH throws.
I don't care that it's now a Brodie thing. But I am referring to the upside down flick he throws, so as to differentiate from other techniques that look like a good way to tear a rotator cuff.

Wind blows la lot around here and the more techniques one has for touch throws the better. This one seems to work well for specific lines and/or wind conditions.

It is more of a flick shot that a full throw. It is super useful, because it lands on its back and slides. So, forethought of the landing terrain is important.

I don't, but I throw basically the same shot right side up frequently.

So I probably should...

I think I've thrown maybe two scoobers. Both were pretty much out of necessity because of the position of my lie and I couldn't figure out any other way to make the shot. Both of them played out very well but it still isn't a shot that I would go out of my way to throw.

It seems Brodie will throw the scoober when he doesn't have the confidence to make a putt. I am guessing that as his game develops you'll see him use it less and less and probably only for utility type shots where it's necessary.

Admittingly, I tried them out after watching a Brodie tutorial. I actually have found a decent use for them and throw them every now and then. Usually as a get out of jail kind of thing.

However, there's one tee shot on my local course that I throw it off the tee. It's like 150' and suuuper downhill. Ground is also always covered in pine needles. Its nearly impossible not to go long. I used to jump putt and it was either draw metal, or glide 30' long, or try and slide it close, and the disc slides a mile on those pine needles. And....who wants to lay up a 150' shot??? I've found I can run the basket with the scoober and not go a mile past if (when) I miss metal.

Scoober seems like it's really just a tomahawk that's reduced to just the wrist, where you are starting it out already rolled over. Kind of like throwing a forehand, but a "true" flick where you are just popping the wrist.

The big advantage seems to be for tossing soft bids. Once it runs out of steam, the "lift" of the disc will push it to the ground. It can't get away from you the way a soft bid with a putt can, especially in a headwind.

Then there are the plays where you intentionally want it to slide. On the right ground surface, that seems super useful as well. Let's you keep it low without fear that you will lose too much distance to an early ground contact.

For players that bang 25 footers at a high rate, the scoober probably doesn't translate? They just aren't as worried about the comeback putt on a miss.

It is an excellent shot to have, but only applicable to certain situations. When I played Ultimate, my friends and I would warm up by throwing trick shots to each other from very short distances to warm up and get loose. From that, I'm fairly comfortable with most shots, including the scoober. It's great for throwing an overhand soft, for a safe run that (depending on the ground) won't go too far past, going under and then over something sharply, etc.

However, I do not see it replacing a C2 putt for many pros for the following reasons. First, as has been pointed out, it only works in certain conditions. If you're putting to a basket on sloped dirt, it can easy slide away (even if you're putting uphill). Second, it's more finnicky than a BH putt. The nose angle, left/right angle, speed, and spin all drastically affect the flight, as they do on any shot. However, most pros release their putts with a flat-ish nose angle and either flat or slightly hyzer left/right angle, making it fairly easy to judge if the angles are correct. A scoober requires different angles at different distances. Maybe I'm not saying it's a completely different degree of difficulty than a regular shot, but it does seem harder. Brodie definitely has it figured out.

Anyway, combine these two factors together (having a putt that only works in certain conditions that is slightly harder to master) means that pros will probably not be using it as much. Heck, there are a few pros that still play only backhand all the time.

With that said, I'd love to see more of them. They're a neat shot to use, and I like watching odd shots (I'm looking at you Jeremy Koling).

I'll use the scoober if I need to throw over a bush or some other obstacle. I see it kind of opposite of the turbo putt, which I use for the same reason. I'm right-handed, so a turbo putt starts high-right and finishes forward. A scoober for me will start across my body, high-left and finish forward.

And hey Grip, what is the "useless" or "nothing" shots you mentioned? Never heard of either one. Maybe it's called something different around here. Do tell.

Similar to a scoober or backhand throw mechanically, but your thumb is on the bottom of the flight plate and your four fingers are on the top of the flight plate. Quick little wrist flick, not an entire reach back or anything.

Used as an escape pass in ultimate occasionally. Not super practical by any means but it exists and can be great in the same way I throw scoobers or grenades (my NEXT shot will be from a good location). I do sink one every once in a blue moon and whoever I'm playing with always laughs (looks funny).

In my limited attempts, I found it to be pretty easy to control and seems like a great tool for either the right line or the right wind.

Autocross had mentioned FH for long putts, I played with that some as well. All this is just looking for the right tool for the task at hand.

Why would anyone throw a scoober vs a grenade from putting range? That would be like putting forehand vs backhand. Does anyone putt forehand without some crazy stance restriction?

I putt upside down into a strong headwind, but that is it. I know some players do it when they are worried about a rollaway, but I have seen many a disc slide on the top down a steep hill. In fact one of the shots I use a scoober for is sliding under low hanging limbs.

Why would anyone throw a scoober vs a grenade from putting range? That would be like putting forehand vs backhand. Does anyone putt forehand without some crazy stance restriction?

I putt upside down into a strong headwind, but that is it. I know some players do it when they are worried about a rollaway, but I have seen many a disc slide on the top down a steep hill. In fact one of the shots I use a scoober for is sliding under low hanging limbs.

A grenade in putting range? I think of grenade I think up and over trees. What are you describing?

A grenade in putting range? I think of grenade I think up and over trees. What are you describing?

An upside down putt. Which is a softly thrown grenade :). Or is there a separate term for an upside down throw not intended to be thrown high?

An upside down putt. Which is a softly thrown grenade :). Or is there a separate term for an upside down throw not intended to be thrown high?

Works for me.

So I like the Scoober finger flick for cleaner release over upside down putt, but still just learning so it could change.