• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Does this change seem sensible?

Ctufankjian

I've been playing for a little over a year now, and throw two Z Nukes for max distance shots. One is a 169,and the other a 175. Right now, I can get them out about 325' consistently (RHBH pretty exclusively). While I find them to be quite accurate, I've noticed that there is a fair amount of high speed turn developing prior to straightening out and fading at the end. This seems to take up a lot of fairway space, and eliminate room for error.

I feel like I started throwing 13 speed drivers a bit early in the game, so i keep/throw a 169 star beast in the bag to give me form feedback, etc., in an effort to prevent myself from developing bad habits that have to be erased down the line. However, I'm finding that disk is getting much flipper lately as well, and am debating replacing it with a teebird... I guess.

Here's where I might be completely off base... While I've seen Forces and Destroyers compared, generally when nukes and destroyers are compared its determined that they're completely different discs. My theory is that if I replace the nukes with destroyers the lack of high speed turn will give me more fairway, and the (minor) speed reduction may give me more straight distance? (flight info has a lot to do with the Marshall street chart)

I'm also suspicious of the fact, as well that I'm turning these nukes this much, and not getting the distance that other folks do! OAT???...

This is my first actual post here BTW, and I apologise in advance if it's a bit long, or I didn't search the topic right beforehand.

Here are the drivers in my bag btw:

Z Nuke 169
Z Nuke 175
Z Predator 171
Star Beast 169

:D

welcome to the site.
i think you should know first that nukes as well as destroyers should have turn. i will also comment that these discs are not really doing you any good if you are only putting them out to 325. scaling back to a teebird, may be some help. you may want to think about throwing the teebird as your distance driver until you can get that out to 350 or so. in addition, if you just cant let go of the nukes, start throwing with some hyzer if you dont want them to turn. the energy that once went into the turn, will be energy that forces the disc to pop up to flat. hope this is helpful.

I would suggest taking some video of your form and posting it here for feedback. A beat nuke might turn at 325' of power, but it sounds like oat to me. Also, if you want feedback on your form, I would suggest trying something like a Comet. Beasts are pretty fast, and can still hide form flaws.

What exactly is it that you want to know or achieve? If possible providing a video of yourself throwing will be the most beneficial for your actual technique but there are many things which you should get familiar with first so the advice given is understood and you can actually use it.

While most sports require practice and repetition, disc golf also requires a vast understanding of the equipment in order to actually figure out what discs are doing and why they act that way for YOUR throwing style.

Re

welcome to the site.
i think you should know first that nukes as well as destroyers should have turn. i will also comment that these discs are not really doing you any good if you are only putting them out to 325. scaling back to a teebird, may be some help. you may want to think about throwing the teebird as your distance driver until you can get that out to 350 or so. in addition, if you just cant let go of the nukes, start throwing with some hyzer if you dont want them to turn. the energy that once went into the turn, will be energy that forces the disc to pop up to flat. hope this is helpful.
I think this sounds like good advice. I'm all about scaling down to a teebird until I can grab more distance. That was kind of what I was thinking and I'm glad someone confirmed this. I really feel like these nukes are characteristically bad for masking form issues.

What exactly is it that you want to know or achieve? If possible providing a video of yourself throwing will be the most beneficial for your actual technique but there are many things which you should get familiar with first so the advice given is understood and you can actually use it.

While most sports require practice and repetition, disc golf also requires a vast understanding of the equipment in order to actually figure out what discs are doing and why they act that way for YOUR throwing style.

I've definitely got to post a video of myself throwing. There have to be tons of issues going on that I haven't noticed. I did film my shot a few months back and managed to address some issues, but I'm confident that's just the tip of the iceberg

at your power/distance i would say you should stay in the 10 speed or slower
try a saint or pd for tighter fairway flights
for some form feedback get a river

Not only does this change seem sensible but it's a change you should absolutely make

At the distances your getting the Nuke is to much of a disc for you. The reason your Nuke has some high speed turn is b/c it's beat in. If you were really getting it up to speed it should have high speed turn out of the box. High speed overstable discs hide form flaws & teach back habits if you don't have the arm for them. I bet that you also have a problem with OAT. I'd recommend throwing Fairway Drivers, Mids & Putters until you gain more distance. Also throwing understable discs is a great tool to use to show form flaws & to help with limiting OAT. I'm willing to bet that if you threw a Teebird & a Nuke that the difference in distance would be very minimal & you may even be able to get a Teebird farther than a Nuke. So I'd say pick up a neutral disc like a Teebird & an understable disc like a Leopard or River.

Agreed. It will be discouraging at first throwing the teebird, bc it still most likely wont fly like you want it to and you might lose some distance the nukes were giving you. But if you stick with the tb, by the time you can throw 6' high lasers 350', with almost no fade, your form will be very good.

I've recently switched to throwing strictly teebirds for my distance bc simply it is such a good disc. The slower discs are easier to keep straight and be accurate. And the tb is maybe 5% shorter than my drivers, but so much more controllable. Try a star or champ 170-175g.

I havent thrown a lot of nukes, but I have not thrown one that flips at 325' of power. Unless it's a light esp thats beat in. But anyways, I would get a gl saint or lucid escape and use that as your distance driver. I guarantee you will get more distance and accuracy. I personally didnt even think of throwing anything speed 11 or higher until I was hitting 375' with my fairway.

Re

Ok, so I decided to disc down and pulled the nukes out of the bag for the time-being. This afternoon, I picked up a 170 champion Teebird, and ripped around the field a bit. The results so far have been REALLY telling!

It's definitely a bummer having lost about 30ft off, my drive, but have been able to throw this thing much more accurately @300ft than the nukes. I think the fact that were talking about thirty feet at full power less with a 7 speed fairway driver than a 13 speed max d pretty much confirms what a lot of you said. Which is the I just don't have the arm for the nukes yet.

Ok, so I decided to disc down and pulled the nukes out of the bag for the time-being. This afternoon, I picked up a 170 champion Teebird, and ripped around the field a bit. The results so far have been REALLY telling!

It's definitely a bummer having lost about 30ft off, my drive, but have been able to throw this thing much more accurately @300ft than the nukes. I think the fact that were talking about thirty feet at full power less with a 7 speed fairway driver than a 13 speed max d pretty much confirms what a lot of you said. Which is the I just don't have the arm for the nukes yet.

I've been playing for about as long as you, and the only thing I really have the arm speed for is a speed 10 PD.

I'm still not up to the Warp speed distance stuff yet.

Just keep it up, practice with what feels good, and keep trying to hit 400-450 and get your first ace!

I have a glow nuke and a bunch of destroyers.
It does seem the nuke turns more, especially if you have OAT and just pull it.

I like the turn on a destroyer more for whatever reason, but that nuke is money for forehands.

Ok, so I decided to disc down and pulled the nukes out of the bag for the time-being. It's definitely a bummer having lost about 30ft off, my drive, but have been able to throw this thing much more accurately @300ft than the nukes. I just don't have the arm for the nukes yet.

its always hard to let go of the distance, its counter intuitive to our competitive nature. i know i would have made myself a little more happy had i been throwing 250ft placement shots, over the 350ft attempts i was taking. you can stay competitive in AM tournaments only ever driving 2/3 the way down the fairway on any given par 3. slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Teebirds are great for a lower speed driver but IMO Eagle are a better lower distance speed driver 7/4/-1/3. Glow Champ Valkyrie's are a great 9 speed driver it has some good stability. If you want to stay with a higher speed driver, I would suggest and Wraith. It is a solid 11 speed disc with very similar numbers to a Destroyer. I've tried Destroyers and Nukes, at the moment I can only get them out 300 and I an very inaccurate, however with my Wraiths, I'm more accurate and am usually around 350 and can reach 400 with my blizzard wraith.

I know it's just an expression, and I use it all the time, but something that may (or may not) help is realizing when we are talking about not having enough "arm" speed, that arm has little to do with it. Really work on your mechanics...which is almost all legs and core.

I know it's just an expression, and I use it all the time, but something that may (or may not) help is realizing when we are talking about not having enough "arm" speed, that arm has little to do with it. Really work on your mechanics...which is almost all legs and core.

very true. i know when i got home yesterday, it was not my arm that was tired, it was my legs.

Latest posts