• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

I feel like dog owners are a lot like bicyclists. Most are courteous, well-behaved human beings who do the right thing. A few are either thoughtless, spacey, or just *******s, and they which give the rest a bad name. Speaking as both a biker and former dog owner, I sometimes complain about both, but I realize it's a pretty small minority who are actually the bad actors.

i guess there are 1%ers in every facet of life......

Not much difference than with some children....

This! There are so many terrible parents that just don't give AF. They may not try to bite your face off, but they will try to deafen you with their keening. I know I am over generalizing, but that's what is going on in this thread anyways so bite me (pun?).

I'm "that" guy. I take Sheeba everywhere I go. That includes every place of business I go to. If she isn't on a leash she's in her pet stroller. She is ALWAYS on a leash when I play.

Your cat can flush? :hfive: I have 2 that can open doors, the push down handles. One of them can get into the cabinets. :mad:

No. I don't have a cat. I only like 1 kind of pet. Other people's. I don't have to feed, bathe, take to groomer, the vet, or clean up any excreted nitrogenous waste.

Oddly enough most pets love me. I guess they sense my indifference and feel determined to win me over. Suckas!

I don't have anything against pets or pet owners. Just not my cup of tea.

One of my disc buddies is an absolute pro at training his dog. That pup will never stray more than 5 feet from his heel without a hand signal allowing it. Doesn't matter if there are dogs, squirrels, whatever. It's like there is an invisible leash on him all the time.

His old dog (Hayes, passed a couple years ago) would respond to the command "ching" by picking up a tap in putt placing it in the basket, release it and then return it to my buddy. Hayes would also retrieve discs that turned over into the baseball field at Zebulon DGC. saving the disc owner from a lengthy trek. Hayes would also carry his own bag of poop until he found the next trash can regardless how many holes he had to carry it. Best dog ever.

The new dog has the invisible leash down but not the ching or poop carry (yet).

Anyone notice the dog off-lease & on-course in the 2nd Mcbeth Vlog???
Somehow seeing that makes me feel better about also frolfing sans leash

What about dogs off leash at course work days? Selfish dog owners being inconsiderate while they work on the course.

What about dogs off leash at course work days? Selfish dog owners being inconsiderate while they work on the course.

I don't care if it's a disabled military veteran volunteer firefighter who is holding a firehose pointed at a burning house in one hand while giving chest compressions to a kitten with their other hand, and a Red Cross nurse is taking a blood donation from them while they do all this-- if their dog is off leash in a park, they're doing it wrong.

I don't care if it's a disabled military veteran volunteer firefighter who is holding a firehose pointed at a burning house in one hand while giving chest compressions to a kitten with their other hand, and a Red Cross nurse is taking a blood donation from them while they do all this-- if their dog is off leash in a park, they're doing it wrong.

oh, I'd cut them slack for the kitten part, for sure. the other stuff doesn't impress me....

I try to be pretty laid-back about this. It's hard sometimes, though, because off-leash dogs are a big part of the reason I can't bring my dog on hikes, etc (she's very dog-aggressive outside certain scenarios and is a pit bull, and a 'friendly' dog running up to her could be a big, big problem). I don't think most dog owners think about things like that, though. Who can blame them? They're having an amazing time with their dog, blissfully ignorant, and maybe I'd be the same way if I'd never had an, um, special needs dog.

What I just don't get is why people with off-leash dogs think it's easier than having their dog on a leash. Off-leashers on the dg course are always having to call their dog away from other groups, other dogs, the guy teeing off. It seems like a giant hassle. If the dog is exceptionally well-trained, then having it on leash should present no problems whatsoever. If it is not well-trained, then it really needs to be on-leash even more so.

I've seen one dog in all my dg experiences that was completely fine being off-leash. One. The owner is an amazing trainer and basically controls that dog like he has a remote control. He can say "left" and it goes left. "Right" and it goes right. "Stop" and it stops. Incredible.

Latest posts