• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

I love dogs and generally could care less but I HATE it when people bring their dogs to dg. Mostly because the last thing I want to worry about when playing is stepping in shat. One of my buddies has the most disobedient shepherd type dog ever that he brings with him and I secretly try and hit it every throw.

I love dogs and generally could care less but I HATE it when people bring their dogs to dg. Mostly because the last thing I want to worry about when playing is stepping in shat. One of my buddies has the most disobedient shepherd type dog ever that he brings with him and I secretly try and hit it every throw.
Sounds like your buddies dog is the one you have to worry about. Keep trying to hit the dog and maybe someone will hit you. Its not the dogs fault its the owners!

i hit a dog once....i laughed at first but felt bad the rest of the round cause it skipped first but hit pretty hard right into the side of the dog cause it was running accross the fairway. i know it wasnt really my fault cause how can you expect a random dog to take off in front of your drive, but i still dont want him to be hurt

dude you need to get over it, is hitting a dog really gonna make you a better person. what you need to do is tell your friend whats up and not dream of hurting animals. if you have a problem it is best solved with someone addressing that problem, this is why i hate two faced people. will say one thing to you and say something else on dgc. he is your friend so your telling him that he needs to correct his behavior should be respected. i would expect someone to tell me when i am f-ing up.

if one guy has a nice trained dog off his leash and a guy with a crazy dog who retrieves other peoples discs and who runs up to other groups and jumps on them sees that people have dogs off their leash, he is gonna let his devil dog free. its a chain reaction. everytime i have encountered the crazy dogs the owners always say "well i always see people with dogs off the leash". maybe your dog will stay close and be obedient, but the rules are there for a reason. now if you are in a park that has no leash laws, do whatever you want. all im saying is if you are in a park that has the laws present, follow the rules.

devil dogs are Marines, its it the name earned while fighting the Germans in WWI. sorry to note that i am just partial to that saying. USMC vet.

dude you need to get over it, is hitting a dog really gonna make you a better person. what you need to do is tell your friend whats up and not dream of hurting animals. if you have a problem it is best solved with someone addressing that problem, this is why i hate two faced people. will say one thing to you and say something else on dgc. he is your friend so your telling him that he needs to correct his behavior should be respected. i would expect someone to tell me when i am f-ing up.

I was joking, sort of. Besides, this dog has more than once robbed me of 30+feet on my drives by jumping up and trying to catch it. He's a tough dog trust me. Even his owner tells me not to worry about hitting him. So put down the PETA licensed pitch fork and torch.

I have to agree with knowing your dog. I have had many dogs, and work with dog rescue. My older, well behaved dog was never leashed and was not required to be according to the parks. My lab, pit cross 2 year old had to be leashed all of the time unless I hit the course early in the morning when next to no one was there. My lab pit cross was too energetic and overbearing to other dogs/ players. I love bringing my dog to the course but it truly depends on the situation. If it is the busiest time of day at the course then I wouldn't even bring my 2 year old. I think you have to think of others first in this matter whether it be other players or other dogs

I was joking, sort of. Besides, this dog has more than once robbed me of 30+feet on my drives by jumping up and trying to catch it. He's a tough dog trust me. Even his owner tells me not to worry about hitting him. So put down the PETA licensed pitch fork and torch.

just because i can take a hit doesn't mean that i want to. i would assume an unsuspecting dog would feel the same way. i am not a PETA supporter nor do i condone what they do to people who do not agree with their point of view but i for no reason think it is ok to hit a dog regardless of weather or not he robs you of some distance. perhaps your friend has no place owning a dog if he can't control it and sees no reason why it could be a big deal if he's hit. i guess people need to see some really bad things to make them realize the suffering on any level is not ok. in this case i guess it is just a lack of prospective.

just because i can take a hit doesn't mean that i want to. i would assume an unsuspecting dog would feel the same way. i am not a PETA supporter nor do i condone what they do to people who do not agree with their point of view but i for no reason think it is ok to hit a dog regardless of weather or not he robs you of some distance. perhaps your friend has no place owning a dog if he can't control it and sees no reason why it could be a big deal if he's hit. i guess people need to see some really bad things to make them realize the suffering on any level is not ok. in this case i guess it is just a lack of prospective.

Dude, It's not an unsuspecting dog if it is jumping up and trying to bite your discs in mid air. My friend plays at the butt crack of dawn in the morning so there's never any chance of his unruly dog really being too mischievous, and lastly suffering on any level, whether morally "ok" or not, is ever-present and always will be, fortunately for us, because without suffering we cannot know bliss or pleasure. Now, I'm a gonna go get a beer, get off my high horse, and beat my Mini Schnauzer bloody with my discs. (JOKING, he's due for his night walkies actually).

I'd say this, dogs are a welcome addition to the disc golf world as long as their owners are respectful of the others on the course. This means training the dogs behavior to suit disc golf. No chasing discs, don't bug the other golfers, you know behave. Most importantly PICK UP THE SH*T. My only real problems with dogs on the course is the owners not taking responsibility for them. I love dogs, I don't love stepping in the sh*t of a dog I've never seen.

Dude, It's not an unsuspecting dog if it is jumping up and trying to bite your discs in mid air. My friend plays at the butt crack of dawn in the morning so there's never any chance of his unruly dog really being too mischievous, and lastly suffering on any level, whether morally "ok" or not, is ever-present and always will be, fortunately for us, because without suffering we cannot know bliss or pleasure. Now, I'm a gonna go get a beer, get off my high horse, and beat my Mini Schnauzer bloody with my discs. (JOKING, he's due for his night walkies actually).

Not quite sure where you got spirituality, Brother Dude....but causing suffering ain't in the Book. Reprimanding a dog (or human) is way different then throwing objects at dogs ( I'm thinking somebody likes to pull wings off flies, Brother Dude..) or throwing anonymous insults at people.
Whats the point your trying to make? Suffering is everpresent so causing it is A-Okay?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
An unruly dog wandering a disc course at any time is mischeivousness looking for an opportunity.

Define "no one."

(Is this a sign that just about everything has been said in this thread?)

Not quite sure where you got spirituality, Brother Dude....but causing suffering ain't in the Book. Reprimanding a dog (or human) is way different then throwing objects at dogs ( I'm thinking somebody likes to pull wings off flies, Brother Dude..) or throwing anonymous insults at people.
Whats the point your trying to make? Suffering is everpresent so causing it is A-Okay?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
An unruly dog wandering a disc course at any time is mischeivousness looking for an opportunity.

My personal religious beliefs are an amalgamation of Deism, Marcionite Christianity, and Taoism. I never advocated suffering, I meant to imply that it is often unavoidable. If a dog continued to run around your fairway would you refuse to throw? Why let a dog interfere with your good time. Let fate and the dog decide whether it gets hit with a disc. I just find it hypocritical that people selectively choose which animals are worthy of their protection and empathy. Throwing a disc with a dog in the area of the target is much less dangerous to the environment than driving an SUV or building a house on newly cleared land yet people generally act like it is an act of inhumanity.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I just think people are a wee bit more important. :)

Not quite sure where you got spirituality, Brother Dude....but causing suffering ain't in the Book.

Oh, and if it's the Bible to which you are referring, it is. It's kind of the basis for Christian eternal salvation. I don't think Christ had a dandy good time on the cross. No biggie.

Ever heard of Bishop Berkeley? (the Empiricist philosopher)

As a matter of fact I have, and I've got some of his essays within arm's reach. I'm a particular fan of David Hume, though: "Be a philsopher, but in so doing, do not cease to be a man."