• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dream disc golf places to live based on quality of life

Vonbeezy1

Banned
So the other thread got me thinking, if you had a dream location to live based on a handful of qualities YOU look for (including but) not limited to disc golf, where would that be?
My dream choice- Nashville area
1. 20 quality courses within 30 minutes
2. Very quality weather year round and winter months are around 40ish average
3. Economic outlook- Good to very good
4. Schools and education- Good to very good (prefer suburba)
5. Lifestyle- Lots of outdoor activities and plenty of places to explore. Plus a few hours from the beach
6. Crime- Seems to be better than where I live now... So that's a plus:thmbup:

I'm thinking either Charlotte or somewhere in the Pacific Northwest like Portland. Downside of the PNW is the cost of living has shot up the last couple of years.

Charlottes got its problems too. The ulta conservative state government has made some very questionable policy dicisions recently that give me pause about the long term economic and educational outlook in NC.

I would put minnesota on the list too, but honestly I've seen enough upper Midwest winters to last a lifetime so that is out for me

I think for me it would be Lake Tahoe. Multiple ski resorts within a fairly short drive, and 10 quality courses within a 25 mile radius. Tons of mountains for hiking and camping. A giant lake for water sports. Plus California in general is a pretty awesome state.

I'd love to live in the Bailey/Conifer area of Colorado. Affluent without everyone putting on airs, clean mountain environment, great private and semi-courses (Bailey, Beaver Ranch,Phantom Falls, Bucksnort, Ghost Town, etc.) with great skiing and hiking close by.

The bonus is that it's super close to Denver (which also has great courses) so you can get the amenities of the big city without the downsides.

The only holdup for me (besides cost, of course) is lack of a quality hardcore gym. But I reckon if I had the money to live there I'd have the money to put a nice home gym in my house.

I'd have to say right where I am now, Pittsburgh. Three 4+ rated courses withing 20 miles of where I live. Plus a great club that has many leagues and tournaments. City life is great too. Can't go wrong with a round of disc golf and a Pirates game! Best place to live!

I'm tempted to say, Right where I am. But if I detached myself from some of its unique attractions, I'd probably say:

Somewhere a little west of Charlotte, far enough away to escape Charlotte's sprawl, but close enough to play its courses. This would also be a easy drive to the Greenville-Spartanburg area, and the North Carolina mountains with a bunch of great courses, mostly private.

Otherwise, it's a beautiful landscape and the climate suits me. Four distinct seasons, and just enough winter to get a taste of it, and then be gone.

I'd live in the hill country west of Austin, TX if I could. DFW isn't bad, but central Texas is better.

All of your criteria fit Austin pretty well. Except you have to add ridiculously bad traffic, abundant hipsters, and embarrassing state politics.

Edit: Isn't Nashville more than a few hours from the beach?

All of your criteria fit Austin pretty well. Except you have to add ridiculously bad traffic, abundant hipsters, and embarrassing state politics.

Edit: Isn't Nashville more than a few hours from the beach?

That's why I would live west of Austin. I'd only go into town when I wanted to.

I had this same question a little over a year ago which in the end, brought me to summit county, Colorado. I combined work and play (disc golf) into a spot that fit my lifestyle. Still living within 2hrs of a city/airport.
Plus, you really can't beat the weather in this state. Tons of sunshine and micro climates.

I also think portland, OR area would be a solid spot.

I had this same question a little over a year ago which in the end, brought me to summit county, Colorado. I combined work and play (disc golf) into a spot that fit my lifestyle. Still living within 2hrs of a city/airport.
Plus, you really can't beat the weather in this state. Tons of sunshine and micro climates.

I also think portland, OR area would be a solid spot.

I visited Portland, considered moving there, and the youth homeless problem there blew my mind. Needless to say, I got pie eyed, tie dyed, deep fried, and Shang hi'd. Actually it rained for 10 days, so I took that as a sign and left :)

Right here in God's Country, Western NY. Here's why:

28 years in the Coast Guard stationed or travelled up and down the east and west coasts has given me a good snapshot of other places to live.
A wide variety of courses.
The best food to be found anywhere.
And outside of an occasional snow flurry perfect weather. No hurricanes, no tornados, no floods, no earthquakes.
Plenty of world class places to fish.
2 major pro sports teams (not that they have been killing it lately)
A thriving cultural center, art galleries, museums and historically significant sites.
Niagara Falls and its gorge.
Low cost of living
And both Buffalo and Niagara Falls are cities on the rise!

I'd have to say right where I am now, Pittsburgh. Three 4+ rated courses withing 20 miles of where I live. Plus a great club that has many leagues and tournaments. City life is great too. Can't go wrong with a round of disc golf and a Pirates game! Best place to live!

Courses aren't centrally located and economy is craaaaaaptastic.

I live in Portland.
Played Milo McIver, Pier Park (twice), Timber Park, and Blue Lake this weekend. I saw an Eagle take a salmon out of the Clackamas River, before a bigger eagle stole it. I'm watching snow piling up on the 11,000 foot volcano out my office window (four were visible in the clear weather all weekend), and I drank great fresh beers on a school bus while I ate a fried chicken sandwich from a food cart yesterday afternoon.
I'm pretty content.

^^^Not to mention Dabney, Buxton, and the Horning 3-course complex. And lots of very local 3+ courses.

Latest posts