• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver/Mid ratio

i try to use a steady progression of discs. something from each speed range that is overstable, medium, and understable. most learned discers would tell me i'm going "driver crazy" and "can't even throw those without tons of OAT". and to them i'd say "you're right".

Putters - 3
DX Aviar
JK Aviar-X
R-Pro Aviar

Mids - 6
Z Comet
X Comet
Glow Roc
DX Roc
D Buzzz
Champ Panther

Drivers - 8
11x Champ FireBird
Champ Eagle-X (new)
Champ Eagle-X (seasoned)
DX Eagle-X
Star TeeBird
DX TeeBird
Glow Champ Gazelle
X Xpress

It's a 1 : 2 : 2.67 ratio, I guess.

8 Drivers (Some are rarely used)
5 Fairway Drivers (Main discs I use)
4 Mids (All Rocs and 1 Comet)
3 Driving Putters (stable/straight/flippy)
1 Putting Putter ($$$$$$$$$$$$$)

I carry:

7 Putters
7 Mids
5 Fairways
3 Drivers

I find the courses where I now live are generally longer than the ones where I used to live. So rather than throwing a mid off half of the tees I throw a mid off just a couple, so my ratio of drivers to mids has been increasing since then. I could probably play a round and score quite well without any of my mids here. Depending on pin placement, I could need a driver off every single one of the tees at my local course. I do almost all my approaching with a putter, so if I'm not throwing a mid off the tee, I'm only throwing it as a utility disc when I get into trouble.

The thing I need more discs for is the practice rounds when I'm tossing 5 or 6 discs off each tee. If I'm going to throw that many forehand, well, I'm going to need 5 or 6 overstable discs in the back. Same if I'm doing hyzer flips. Do I actually need a beat-up valkyrie AND a broken in roadrunner? Nope, they fly about the same, but if I want to toss two discs off the tee I need them both in the bag.

9 ex's
3 star destroyers
2 predators
2 talons ( only used for thumbers)
2 cores
1 gator
2 kc aviars

I throw my putters about 240 in and throw my eagles 270-370, if I can throw an eagle I do. I only use mids 240-270 right to left but at that range if a thumber line is open then I throw a thumber. I hardly ever use a midrange.

Whoops, my edit apparently took too long to go through...
2x Stalkers (one for water hazards), 2x Rivers, the Vision and Avenger SS are still fighting for the slot.
-7(9) Drivers
-4 Mids The Hornet and Drone seem to be okay with each other
2x Wizards
-3 putters

6 Putters:
KC Aviar Beat
KC Aviar New
Vibram Summit
Vibram Ridge
Vibram VP
Hydra

5 Mids:
Z Buzzz
Esp Buzzz Beat
Esp Buzzz new
Lat 64 Pain
Z Glide

7 Drivers:
Force
3x Destroyer
2x Teebird
Firebird

These are the staples and I'm thinning out the rest. Thanks for the posts before this one!

I'm obv a complete tool. I went back and counted what was in my bag.

2 putters, 4 mids, 9 drivers.

Do as I say not as I do!!!

Right now I'm only carrying one(1) mid, an ESP Buzzz.
-I've been thinking about picking up something more U/S and something more O/S, but this thing will do pretty much anything.

On the other hand, I've got four(4) drivers:
-Pro Leo
-DX Eagle-X
-Firm Ascent (auditioning)
-Champ Orc

I think everything is covered.

Oh and 2 putters.

I tend to look at it this way. I have 4 different groups. Drivers, Fairway Drivers , Mids and Putters.

Drivers - 5 - Flick, Pulse, Xcal, Nuke, Surge
Fairway - 4- Avenger SS, xXx, 150g Leopard, XL
Mid - 3- Meteor, Buzzz, Hornet
Putters - 2 - SSS Wizard and U-2 Prostyle

I know there is some overlap. Some are in "training." But with this group I have all my bases covered for any course and any condition.

here's my ratio, with multiples of a mold counted as one
long drivers - 1
fairway - 2
mid - 1
putter - 0

A Bit Overloaded?!?

This is what I currently carry, and I do realize that my bag is VERY unusual, but this combination actually works wonders for me:

Putters--7
2x Gateway Magic
2x Aviar (JK Pro & Champion)
3x Rhyno (Pro, R-Pro, & I-Dye Champion)

Mid-Range--10
7x Roc (2 DX, 2 KC Pro, 1 R-Pro, 2 San Marino Star)
1x Cro (R-Pro)
1x Gator (DX)
1x Mako (Star)

Drivers--9
1x Starfire (Champion--water worn)
1x Groove (I-Dye Champion)
2x Beast (Champion & I-Dye Champion)
1x Eagle (DX--water worn)
1x Katana (Pro)
1x Wraith (Pro)
2x Boss (R-Pro)

Now, there are people who look in my bag and say that there's no way I can beat them, only to leave the course licking their wounds I leave on them. It's a set up that requires a LOT of accuracy and trust in your throw, but it's something I'm very comfortable with. I play rounds very frequently with no drivers at all. Obviously this bag changes from course to course, but this is what I usually have loaded. I'm probably gonna have to change this tomorrow since I'm swimming a lake for discs. I'd love to hear what people think about this.

I have currently:
2 max distance star Teerex, pro destroyer
3 Fairway drivers Champ Banshee, Champ eagle, Pro Leopard
2 Mids ESP hornet, ESP Buzzz
2 putters (1 mold) Wizard, Wizard

Latest posts