• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drivers vs. Midrange

bigtime

A friend and I where wondering how much further a driver will go compared to a mi range. I can throw one maybe 50 to 75 feet further. :?:

As you improve you will see the difference between these two discs grow on max distance driver lines. Id say a top tier pro can drive 400-450 and can throw a midrange 300-350 (maybe more i know barry throws rocs 400). So the difference seems to be 100-150 ft.

deaddisc said:
As you improve you will see the difference between these two discs grow on max distance driver lines. Id say a top tier pro can drive 400-450 and can throw a midrange 300-350 (maybe more i know barry throws rocs 400). So the difference seems to be 100-150 ft.
I can throw a 180g Roc to 320-330' (or maybe even more into tailwind) when going for max d (with a Roc), and I'm pretty far from a pro.

I've found a midrange goes it's roughly 75%-85% as far as a driver on a disc golf line assuming decent technique. If you have nose angle problems midranges can go just as far or farther and if you have OAT problems the difference can be drastic (overstable drivers go straight and mids turn-and-burn.)

tumpsi said:
deaddisc said:
I can throw a 180g Roc to 320-330' (or maybe even more into tailwind) when going for max d (with a Roc), and I'm pretty far from a pro.

Well you fins have been known to drop bombs. And if you can throw a mid that far and you are not a pro then you need to work on putting because here with that distance you would be able to park just about every hole without even using a driver.

Throwing a mid 320 and throwing a mid 320 where you want (like down a 320 ft tunnel 20 feet wide) are two totally different things, and separate pros from upper ams. I know plenty of people that can throw a roc that far. But only a few that can accurately do it.

I believe the difference for most players isn't as much as you'd think. The major reason for using mids over drivers on many shots is the control factor and the lack of a large skip at the end of the throw.

I think just about all mids max out their usage around 350-400', even for the pros. And drivers go 400'+. So it could be a few hundred feet further of distance (I believe pros are throwing 500+ of golf distance regularly.

What further said is very true. While you might be able to throw a mid close to your max distance, the real usage would be in specific situations (tunnel shots) which you may not able to do as well.

When Barry through his rock 400' it was slightly down hill and he'd said he was just looking to have it land and sit, no action at all after the landing.

deaddisc said:
tumpsi said:
deaddisc said:

Well you fins have been known to drop bombs. And if you can throw a mid that far and you are not a pro then you need to work on putting because here with that distance you would be able to park just about every hole without even using a driver.
I didn't say I can throw it accurately there. On good tailwind or downhill I can, but not without them/it. Just like Furthur said.
I mainly use Rocs @ 250-300', below that it's Aviar. Teebirds for 250-350', and distance drivers 350+'.

Main problems in my game are long(25+') putts and approaches below 200'.

I would say if I am throwing for max distance, i'll throw my longest drivers around 390' with an occasional pull at like 410-420'. Throwing a mid on a distance line will get me 340' or so. Normal golf lines would max out a little over 300'.

I would never throw a mid on a distance line on the course unless I was messing around, I would just throw a teebird or leopard instead.

black udder said:
I believe the difference for most players isn't as much as you'd think. The major reason for using mids over drivers on many shots is the control factor and the lack of a large skip at the end of the throw.

I think just about all mids max out their usage around 350-400', even for the pros. And drivers go 400'+. So it could be a few hundred feet further of distance (I believe pros are throwing 500+ of golf distance regularly.

What further said is very true. While you might be able to throw a mid close to your max distance, the real usage would be in specific situations (tunnel shots) which you may not able to do as well.

When Barry through his rock 400' it was slightly down hill and he'd said he was just looking to have it land and sit, no action at all after the landing.

Where are these Pros throwing 500+ golf D? I haven't played with them.

scoot_er said:
black udder said:

Northern Europe. (Most of them aren't actually pro's here, but they play at pro level.)

tumpsi said:
scoot_er said:
black udder said:

Northern Europe. (Most of them aren't actually pro's here, but they play at pro level.)

But most aren't doing that with a hyzerflip..............

They are Pros there though because isn't everyone Pro?

scoot_er said:
tumpsi said:
scoot_er said:
black udder said:

But most aren't doing that with a hyzerflip..............

So? They're throwing disc golf discs over 450 feet at disc golf courses.

They are Pros there though because isn't everyone Pro?
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

scoot_er said:
black udder said:

I could be wrong - certainly I don't tour with any of them. My assumption was that Feldberg, Jenkins, Climo, Schultz, etc. were throwing over 500' on some of the longer courses/holes. I know the opportunity doesn't present itself all the time, but I couldn't help but think those guys can throw that if/when they needed.

If not, then the poster of the thread has his answer straight up. About 100' difference between midrange and driver golf distance.

FYI the Finnish dg champ 2007 hits regularly 400+' with overhead shots. :wink:

BU:

there was threads from back during the last stretch where i was posting a lot that talked about this.

there's only a handful of pros that can thread 430'.

there's like 10 people or less in the world that can go 500'+ consistently on a line drive.

on a distance line this number increases a lot, but if you consider "consistent" to be 75% or more, it's still a relatively low number.

I don't believe anybody said anything about threading a shot - or a line drive - just the difference between a midrange drive and a driver drive.

I was thinking about any of the more wide open shots at some place like the USDGC where the pros have a little space to gun a long hyzer or flex a shot a little.

So my point was that my belief was that most pros aren't going to toss a midrange much over 350', so if guys are throwing around 500+, then the difference between the midrange and driver would be whatever distance they're throwing over 350'.

Not that they can't throw it over 350', but that's probably the range that they'd think about moving up (depending on the situation). So the difference between midrange and driver would be 100'+ for the pros. Not so much for the non-pro caliber players.

I have no doubt about your info on the threading distances/throwers.

tumpsi said:
FYI the Finnish dg champ 2007 hits regularly 400+' with overhead shots. :wink:

Having thrown over 500' too :) He's often quite accurate with those long upside downs too. I saw him practice putting last week. Not bad. Seems to improving from what I saw on Tali Open 2006 DVD.