• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putters

That's the only thing that bothers me. I swear it's a mid.

The nice thing is you get the control of a putter with nearly the distance of a mid.

There is a pretty narrow range over which I throw my mids now, because the Pure encroaches on their range. Although I will say that the Pure needs a bit more height than a fast mid to travel the same distance, so with a low ceiling I'll still throw a mid.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media....58&mode=media#

First ace!!!!! #7 at expo park in Denver. I live right across the street, Threw a Envy RHFH ( thanks MikeC) was upset when i let it go, thought it was to high but it hit the center and stuck, wasn't playing with anyone but a couple walking to tee 8 heard it hit and me freaking out and came back to talk about it, and if it wasn't already official I am hooked on disc golf.

While grip and weight can be contended, I'd have to argue that MVP's discs do a great job of sticking where you want them to if you know how to work them. The overmold does an incredible job of reducing skips if you throw them with a good amount of hyzer angle, so that when they land they hit the overmold. This is a very distinct advantage they have over other premium plastic discs.

I'd imagine we'll see 150 class putters from them at some point, considering their current ones go to the low 160's, the the new molds are being released in the 150's.

This is coming from a long time Wizard fan mind you :)

I do happen to have a soft Anode scaled at 158, they snuck a few out to Disc Nation, maybe 4-5 tops. I was lacking funds when they hit, and when I did get mine it was the only one left, along with a 161 I snagged. Soft proton only, lotta glide. I would like to get another one, and an Ion in that weight to.

A little different suggestion, I have a pair of Flywood Log putters that are a blast to drive with. They are made out of pressed sheets of hardwood so definitely a boutique type thang but nice long S shaped drives. Beautiful discs and they make the coolest sound when you drive them into a tree.

The Bounce is REAL! One local who putts Ions either makes them or they go all the way in and just jump right out. :p

I can vouch for the bounce, lol.
I've seen my neutron anode bounce FAR after hitting chains/basket.

I don't buy that. I've rarely seen bounce outs with any putter. But then again I rarely hit chain.

My group of friends see lots of bounce outs with soft anodes, especially in the hot summer months. You'll see the disc hit chains and bounce back almost like it hit the center support.

Lies and slander ;)

don't get me wrong, none of us have stopped using the anode. I played a 2 disc round a week or so ago and found that my medium anode that's about 160 made a great driver, followed by my 176 soft anode for upshots and putter duties.

I've tried the softest and hardest putters. From Vibram soft to wood. If it didn't go in it was my fault. I've seen overhand throws hit the bottom of the basket and bounce out but that's it. And yes I also love my soft Anode.

Haven't had a ton of time with it so far, but my initial impression is that I really like the Opto Pure.

That having been said, I like the Envy I picked up as well.

I think for the commonly named driving putters, it's going to come down to arm speed, course type, and personal throwing form/preference. They're all pretty good.

the bounce is real. Your eyes are just virgins to it.
If they made the anode in baseline plastic, I would probably use it full term. But they don't, and that is why I traded mine away.

The feel is probably my favorite out of all putters I've tried, and that's saying a lot.
But alas, that plastic is a no-go.

i never had a bounce out except once. the hard overmold provides the texture of a good stiff base plastic for the chains while the soft core absorbs the shock of the impact well. it's pretty much the perfect combination for catching chains.

anyway, back to driving putters: opto and zero hard pure will cover all lines you need. envy is also a great driving putter, so is the soft anode IMO. if i had to pick only one, it would be a soft anode. wizards are fantastic too.

obviously right now i'm using polecats and aviars, but the polecat is the superior driver out of the box IMO. just because it's what's in my bag doesn't mean it's what i think is best stand-alone. i build a bag using complements.

I throw Aviars. Mix and match for the occassion.

167 Yeti for most everything.

175 KC for more stability.

And my bread and butter: a beat up old Small Bead Aviar.

That disc does whatever I want.

I need to find a backup or something similar to replace it.

Thinking about a Medium Pure.

With all this talk of bouncing, etc., I know this is a thread on driving putters...

But I just want to say that I thought bounce outs and such were always lies...until I tried the Shield from Westside (Trilogy Challenge disc), and can see some higher % issues. I use an Anode (neutron) and have zero issues with it, compared to things like a rock-hard classic Aviar or an "average flexiness" putter like a SS Wizard. No extra rolls or bounces ever.

But this Shield is some rubbery plastic that is kind of stiff (it's "medium") but for some reason it doesn't work for me. Now I wouldn't say it "bounces" out like people complain on here about Anodes...but this thing just doesn't sit in there and it is SO prone to rolling because of its grip on the ground and its shape most likely.

It's just funny that with my putting style, the only disc I can say seems to have a higher % chance of causing putting issues isn't crazy soft and isn't an overmold. Notice how I said "with my putting style". So I guess all the bounce-out talk isn't fully made-up whining, I just luckily have never had that with the Anode.

Neutron Envy is great.. But I throw the Neutron Anode again for approach and long distance putting, and I think the disc is excellent!

A little different suggestion, I have a pair of Flywood Log putters that are a blast to drive with. They are made out of pressed sheets of hardwood so definitely a boutique type thang but nice long S shaped drives. Beautiful discs and they make the coolest sound when you drive them into a tree.

So true. I've got 4 Logs, 3 of which I always keep in my bag. They are so stable for me. No matter how much speed I put on them they spin true and flat and hold the line. I've got a bunch of Wizards, VooDoos and Aviars and I cannot throw those at full speed without them having a bit of wobble and turning over.

I suppose that is part of the reason I like them so much as a putter too - they are really predictable, so I nail a higher percentage of putts. Great in the wind too.

If you think they make a cool sound hitting a tree on a drive, wait till you hear what it sounds like making an Ace with one ;)

Latest posts