• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving release practice?

Drakeab

Par Member
Has anyone out there come up with a way to practice releases on driving without a field? I'm thinking of possibly a net about 15 or 20 feet away - just far enough to see if the disc comes out clean. I'm working on drives with a putter and want to get rid of my oat but want to be able to do it from home rather than driving to a field.

Any ideas out there?

Hang a heavy sheet (or two) in your basement/garage. Go nuts.

I watched a blanket take a hundred or more consecutive attempts to set a high score on the radar gun with discs. It never came close to breaking.

Last edited:
I set up a net using PVC pipe and a soccer net (10 x 25). It is 8 feet high (10 feet 1 1/2" PVC with 2 feet of it slid into 2" PVC sleeve in the ground and then 10 feet across using 90 degree elbows and more pipe. I doubled over the soccer net and draped over the top. I used nylon rope to kind of weave the net around the pipe to hold it in place. The soccer net was $20 online and the PVC from the local HD about $12. This worked good until I grip locked one and sent it down a few houses to the right. So I put up an identical net on the right. It works great for practicing drives and I can place my practice basket in there so I don't have to go looking through the bushes for missed putts.

Best I found was throwing in a batting cage, which most ball fields have. It's long enough you can get a feel for the disc's flight and short enough to quickly retrieve your discs.

Second the Batting cage. We have one right next to the first tee at a local course and its always fun to warm the arm up and adjust before starting the round

If you got a tarp and some cord around the house and two things you can hang it between, I think that would work beautifully for this.