• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving w/o flip

I also primarily throw flat and have done so for years. I've had local pros tell me how nice and clean my drives come out flat and have had some of the same arguements on this site that you seem to be having now. Most of these guys on this site can't throw a disc flat consistently... so they throw hyzers because they claim that it is easier to do that.

I cannot however help you learn how to throw longer, because thats never been part of my game. I have however shot a 12 down 1036 rated round to win a tournament as an AM because I can throw flat shots consistently and the course I was on that day rewarded that. It takes all kinds of skills to play this game, and you should feel lucky that you have this one. I would however encourage you to learn the hyzer-flip as well as the anhyzer-fade to get more tools in your discgolf toolbelt. Carpenters don't use a hammer to fix everything and neither should we just use our straight line-drives on every hole.

Good luck!

One thing that helps me to get more distance is before I launch the Disc,I'm pointing the Disc at my target before I reach back and throw.For me it creates more momentum and I can throw it farther.I throw it pretty flat for a lot of my shots and i average between 350ft to 430 ft.

It takes a bit to get used to this though,you have to keep everything fluid when doing this or you won't get the correct amount of snap on it.

For the flip-over I really think it comes down to the disc selection.I don't do this a lot as i only use the flip-over for certain shots.Everyone is different when it comes to the disc selection.

The discs I use for Flip-over technique is Champion Leopard,Champion Panther,Champion Roadrunner,Star Valkyrie,beat up Rocs and my beat up Aviars.These are the ones that work best for me.

Maybe if you have these discs you could go out and practice with them and see if it helps.

Ok.

Since stating that changing flight lines will make you throw further does not seem to be what you are looking for.

Here is how you get more distance with your "straight line" : Improve your technique.

Nothing more detailed can be said till you provide us a video of you throwing. We dont know what mistakes you make. How do you think we will come up with a answer ?

But reading that you throw your wraith 250 and that you have played for 10 years... Well... I'll stick to my statement. Improve your technique. From the numbers you presented, there is alot room for that.

Around the same. I use the Wraith if I am need more of an angle shot going to the left. I use my buzz for the straighter shots.

Again, I am working on the flip shots, I just am not as consistent with these yet.....can we get off of this topic already. I was looking to see if there was anything anyone had tried with flat drives that got some more distance out of their drive. I realize there is no video on it, I was just simply seeing if there was anyone who'd looked into this.
Also the the guys who only say I have to throw a flip shot, what about all those 300-320 foot tunnel shots??? Does your flip work there? I do use a variety of shots I was looking for one small part of my game for ideas.

I realize there is no video on it

This is just not true. :wall::wall::wall:

Please take some time and watch at the videos posted in the Technique Sticky. Maybe you missed my previous post (#13) with a direct link to the sticky? Specifically, the hammer pound and right pec drills will help IF you follow the instructions.

However, I will not force you to watch the videos and spend time practicing in the field. Plenty of others have "looked into this". We have all found that there is no easy fix. You will not find instant gratification in this situation.

...what about all those 300-320 foot tunnel shots??? Does your flip work there?

Use your Buzz...seriously. If you can't get your Buzz out that far or darn close, then you have a ways to go with your form. And yes, hyzer flips are awesome for these shots, too...power up a Leopard or TL on a slight hyzer and watch it laserbeam.

There's not like a trick that you can just "try" to gain distance - ok, well maybe you could pick up a light Blizzard Wraith, but still. Distance comes from form, and form is a system that you have to learn from the ground up. This is why it's hard to help you without more info (and especially video help), and also why any tips people can give are at best a guess. Based on your discs/distances and the 30'-40' high thing (which, by the way, is a little hard to believe that you can get those distances with those discs on a flat throw at that height...)...but based on that, I'd say get to work on the basics - take big steps backwards and examine your form from ground up. Nose up issues would seem to be *really* obvious here, and one of the most common problems dg'ers deal with, but that most likely involves more than one aspect of your current form.

fwiw, I'm primarily a flat thrower on drives...depends. When you get your form correct, you'll be able to zip a disc out on a low line (like 10' or less) with control and will see a little added distance compared to what you get now with poor form and not getting your current discs up to their rated speeds. That said, at a certain point you will max out that style and you will never get as much distance from a flat throw as you will by incorporating hyzer flips or flex shots/height. That's just how it works. But for now, fix your form and you'll see some increase. Read and watch all you can about technique, and consider posting up a vid of yourself sometime - or just take the vid and watch yourself, comparing it to what you see on other videos.

And get the dang Buzz out to 300' sometime...heck, work on getting a stable putter out that far. You don't have to use them for that in a round, but if you *can* get them that far (which they are totally capable of) then you know you're on the right path and your driver performance will follow. Most of all, have fun. But realize that if you want to improve, you have to follow the system because it's mostly physics and you can't argue with it. lol :)

Again, I am working on the flip shots, I just am not as consistent with these yet.....can we get off of this topic already. I was looking to see if there was anything anyone had tried with flat drives that got some more distance out of their drive. I realize there is no video on it, I was just simply seeing if there was anyone who'd looked into this.
Also the the guys who only say I have to throw a flip shot, what about all those 300-320 foot tunnel shots??? Does your flip work there? I do use a variety of shots I was looking for one small part of my game for ideas.

Like I said earlier, pointing my disc at my target before I reach back helps to increase my distance,along with slight movement of my wrist and having that quick hit at the end.Many of the top pros do this,it may just be helping with accuracy,but it helps me with distance.

Another thing that will help with Distance is to make sure the disc rips out of your hand instead of you just releasing the disc.I have helped many players in this area just by telling them this.

On those hyzer flip shots for tunnel shots,you can control the angle of the hyzer to get the right flip.I you have a flippy disc and want it to fly straight as an arrow,put tons of hyzer on it and it flips straight.Want it to turnover more put less hyzer,but keep it at a hyzer to have it flip over into a turnover shot.

So these 3 things for distance.(which helped me learning the game years ago)Also I'm just taking a guess you have your footwork pretty good.

1.Point at target before the reach back.
2.When reaching back have a slight bending of the wrist and explode.
3.Grip it to Rip it.

Here is how you get more distance with your "straight line" : Improve your technique.
That's pretty much it. If you want to throw farther without changing discs or line, you have to throw better. It's about as specific as you can get with that general of a question.

This is just not true.

Please take some time and watch at the videos posted in the Technique Sticky. Maybe you missed my previous post (#13) with a direct link to the sticky? Specifically, the hammer pound and right pec drills will help IF you follow the instructions.

However, I will not force you to watch the videos and spend time practicing in the field. Plenty of others have "looked into this". We have all found that there is no easy fix. You will not find instant gratification in this situation.

MY throw...VIDEO ON MY THROW! :wall: :wall: :wall: I am not talking about anything else. I wasn't asking for instant gratification by the way :thmbdown:

Can a mod please close this thread...because it seems just asking a simple question and getting some ideas people have tried before. Some are helpful here most aren't........

Like I said earlier, pointing my disc at my target before I reach back helps to increase my distance,along with slight movement of my wrist and having that quick hit at the end.Many of the top pros do this,it may just be helping with accuracy,but it helps me with distance.

Another thing that will help with Distance is to make sure the disc rips out of your hand instead of you just releasing the disc.I have helped many players in this area just by telling them this.

On those hyzer flip shots for tunnel shots,you can control the angle of the hyzer to get the right flip.I you have a flippy disc and want it to fly straight as an arrow,put tons of hyzer on it and it flips straight.Want it to turnover more put less hyzer,but keep it at a hyzer to have it flip over into a turnover shot.

So these 3 things for distance.(which helped me learning the game years ago)Also I'm just taking a guess you have your footwork pretty good.

1.Point at target before the reach back.
2.When reaching back have a slight bending of the wrist and explode.
3.Grip it to Rip it.

Sorry I should hve respondede to you. I tried this last night and it did help a little in the short time I was going. I am heading back out to practice with this later this after noon. Thank you, I didn't use that point and I'm trying to rip more accuratly now

MY throw...VIDEO ON MY THROW! :wall: :wall: :wall: I am not talking about anything else. I wasn't asking for instant gratification by the way :thmbdown:

Can a mod please close this thread...because it seems just asking a simple question and getting some ideas people have tried before. Some are helpful here most aren't........

Try being a little less of a d-bag, man. People are actually trying to help you, and you're just getting frustrated with them. Please post an example of a response you are actually looking for, because if you haven't found it in any (and, actually, most) of the replies so far, I can't imagine what that response might be.

You're throwing 300 feet flat with a lot of height. Cut down on the height significantly, get the nose of the disc down, and gradually adjust your mechanics to impart more speed on the disc. Don't throw anything higher than a speed 9 for a while, also.

Try being a little less of a d-bag, man. People are actually trying to help you, and you're just getting frustrated with them. Please post an example of a response you are actually looking for, because if you haven't found it in any (and, actually, most) of the replies so far, I can't imagine what that response might be.

You're throwing 300 feet flat with a lot of height. Cut down on the height significantly, get the nose of the disc down, and gradually adjust your mechanics to impart more speed on the disc. Don't throw anything higher than a speed 9 for a while, also.

No see like this is fine, this is good advice. I was looking at my drives and the height takes along time and I realized that was when they were slowing way down and fading out when they reached the top hieght.
I am just getting annoyed because anytime to ask about things to watch for...most of the answers are get a different disc or throw a hyzer flip.
Sorry for gettin pissed, it just gets really old really fast.

Tey were slowing way down and fading out when they reached the top hieght.
I am just getting annoyed because anytime to ask about things to watch for...most of the answers are get a different disc or throw a hyzer flip.
Sorry for gettin pissed, it just gets really old really fast.
So you're getting mad because people are giving you good advice rather than the advice you want, which might not even exist? You can at least understand why people might find this odd, right?

skimmed over it mostly

So did anyone actually read my original post on here, or did you just say what ever you felt like.

For my distance I did say it was over the fence which is 300' with 15 feet past that.

I own a buzzz but why would i use that to get past 315'?

I understand that hyzer flipping can go farther...but that wasn't my question as to how to do that.

My height on the drives now is probably around 30-40 feet at max clearance.

If you don't have a tip on a straight drive....please don't respond. I'm working on getting the flip down, but I haven't gotten it to a point where it is consistent.
Do you want to get past 315'? Try a hyzer-flip. All the discs you list are OVERSTABLE. Why do you think Grooves are a dime-a-dozen? They are meat-hooks. An understable disc will turn over & may not come back (not go straight). But a slightly less stable disc than what you're currently throwing can be hyzer-flipped & will go straight (for a long way!). Heck, you may be able to get to 400'! But thats only if you want to:D

Yeah there is good advice here.

Don't get so bent out of shape.

Drop the groove, get a stable/slightly OS fairway driver. Nothing over a speed nine.

Maybe an Eagle, Striker, or slightly beat Banshee.

Work on snap, clean flat release, nose down. You should practice with your putters and mids first. Get that buzz out to 275-300 and the eagle or others will make it close to 400'

Latest posts