• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with a midrange or putter...why?

duke6528

Bogey Member
I hear a lot of people that talk about driving with their putters and midranges, but I don't get it. Other than a really short hole or worrying about a driver skipping too much, why would you want to do this? What are the benefits?

They can be more predictable and controllable. It also helps if you can throw your putters out to about 250' or mids up to almost 300'. For me, on an open/minimal obstacle 280' hole, I will throw a midrange (Roc) because it has very little fade and flies very straight as opposed to a a fairway driver or driver that has a decent amount of fade when it gets to the end of its flight.

You can really only back off of a disc so much before you loose the ability to control it well. If you're throwing fairway drivers in the 320'-350' range (or more) to get a <300' throw you'll have to back off on the ones that fly well for you so much your technique will break down and the discs won't fly nearly as preditcably. At that point you're much better off throwing a midrange or a putter.

It's similar to the concept of clubbing down in golf. It's all about predictability. A 200' shot with a putter is much more predictable than a 200' shot with a Cyclone, Teebird or Wraith. If you can pull it off, a 320' or even a 350' midrange shot is more predictable than the same shot with a faster disc as well. Granted there are exceptions to this (e.g. throwing a faster disc on a hyzer rather than throwing a mid at the upper end of your ability is a more predictable shot), but the short answer (too late) is that slower discs are more predictable and easier to control, so if you throw them when you can you'll have an easier time hitting your target.

I hear a lot of people that talk about driving with their putters and midranges, but I don't get it. Other than a really short hole or worrying about a driver skipping too much, why would you want to do this? What are the benefits?

You have a valid point about "a really short hole". However, really short is different for different people, as has been stated above.

In addition to the already mentioned control aspect, I find it especially beneficial when I need to make a right turn shot (RHBH) on a "short" hole. It takes much more speed to turn a driver, even it if is understable. I can make nice 150-180 ft turning shots with a Magic, or nice 220-280 turning shots with a Coyote or Stingray.

For Control of course. Thats why u use lower speed discs. More predictible. I love throwing huge hyzer lines with my rocs too :)

I guess I need to work some more with my midranges, because I feel I have more control with my drivers. I hate the way most midranges feel in your hand. I have fairly large hands and prefer discs with larger lips that I can grip firmly. Also, I drive RHSA and I can't sidearm a midrange. I have to switch to backhand for my for my midrange throws, and I am not as accurate with my backhand.

I would use a roc for straight shots on wooded holes. If there's a mando that I'm not completely comfortable with I'll use a putter to lay up to give me a better chance at making the mando. I would rather make the mando and throw a big upshot to the basket than risk missing the mando.

I guess I need to work some more with my midranges, because I feel I have more control with my drivers. I hate the way most midranges feel in your hand. I have fairly large hands and prefer discs with larger lips that I can grip firmly. Also, I drive RHSA and I can't sidearm a midrange. I have to switch to backhand for my for my midrange throws, and I am not as accurate with my backhand.
Mids are less forgiving when it comes to off-axis torque. Most people's forehand throws have some, if not lots of OAT which is why people prefer faster, more overstable drivers for forehand shots. Learning to throw a mid cleanly will help eliminate that unintentional OAT and help you gain distance and control. That's the reason people recommend throwing putters and mids to people wanting to improve their technique.

Also, for backhand, you actually get a stronger grip with narrower rimmed discs. A guy at DGR used a radar gun to measure the speed of his drives right out of his hand and found that his mids were consistantly faster out of his hand than his drivers and distance drivers.

That, my friend, is exactly the reason why I switched to back hand this past summer. I would actually highly suggest learning back hand at least for your midranges and your putters; you will gain so much control for shots under 300' (which most shots are)

I used to only play with drivers and putters. I love the fact that I am able to throw my putter about 220 feet. Done right, you park it right by the basket. I didn't like or have any midrnage discs for quiet some time. The Buzzz changed all of that now and I am working on getting it out there farther. If I had to guess I am at about 280 feet or so. Same idea though, using less disc to get the job done.

If it is a tight shot I will use a roc vs a driver even on a long hole; I'd rather be in the fairway with a 200' drive than have hit the tree 50' out.

Get a Coyote. You will love it. It has a good sized lip, and they go super straight.

A couple of things....1st and foremost, learn backhand! And midnight is 100% correct, get a Coyote, and go towards max weight...in at least the 170g + range<this will fly better in windier conditions>. A good suggestion is go play a practice round and don't worry about score, just throw backhand ONLY on either the front 9 or the back 9, whichever you think better for it, and play the other 9 regular, or even go for a full 18.
2nd...for a forehand midrange, you may want to consider a Gator. It is much more stable as far as a midrange, and very predictable. If you are a discraft guy, the drone is supposed to be the same <from what I was told>.
Almost all the top tournament players I know, or play with <Not the touring pros > are all backhand/forehand players. If you just play one or two courses, you can get away with just one style, but if you want to be a good all-around player, and play courses from all over, you NEED to be comfortable throwing both styles. Good luck!

The Benefits (for me):
1) Relatively straight flight, all the way to the finish. On downhill shots there's no big fade or skip at the end.
2) Very little deflection. If it hits a tree, it falls straight down rather than zinging off in the wrong direction.

You guys forgot that if you throttle down too much then the LSS is going to be exaggerated...making most drivers rollers.

Latest posts