• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] drone question

Or get yourself a flick for 12 bucks.

IMHO Flicks are WAY faster then Whippets.

I forgot about Vipers. I have a CFR one that is an absolute meathook. I can get my DX Viper to fly straight with a predictable fade with a hard FH shot. My CFR one wants to turn right, right out of my hand for RHFH.

If I were to buy a gator, which plastic is more stable for it? I tried a dx that was beat, so I didnt hold it against it, but it was nothing like a drone. I use to own a dx viper, years ago, and it was to skippy. Maybe Ill just stick to the drone. What ever works, right, RIGHT.

Biz
Team Bert

The most overstable plastic for a Gator is either CFR (which can get expensive) or Star. Either way you go if you want it to be as overstable as possible, make sure it has a bead. Innova did a couple runs of Star Gators that don't have beads.

If you like the innova plastic better i would just say stick to it until you want to go back to trying the discraft plastic

If I were to buy a gator, which plastic is more stable for it? I tried a dx that was beat, so I didnt hold it against it, but it was nothing like a drone. I use to own a dx viper, years ago, and it was to skippy. Maybe Ill just stick to the drone. What ever works, right, RIGHT.

Biz
Team Bert

Heavy Star Gator. But I would stick with the Drone and try it in a different plastic.

As far as flight path, the Viper is the closest thing to the Drone that Innova has, hands down.

But I say just keep throwing the Drone, and you'll get use to the plastic.

i've thrown my Gator a lot and it's the closest thing to a Drone. doesn't quite live up to the same overstability however.

I was just wondering what is innovas equivalent to discrafts drone? I like innova plastic better, don't know why, it just feels right. Any suggestions?

Biz
Team Bert

Not to muddy the water here but... Find yourself a gummy, flat as a board Gateway HPP Warrior. Very stable, super durable (I've seen FLX take some massive cuts by hitting baskets, gravel, trees, etc), doesn't shoot off trees. Love mine, much more than any Drone I've thrown.

OTOH I've got a HPP Warrior with a huge dome, not predictable at all in the wind. So if you buy blind there is a risk.

Biz
Team Bert

a wise man would say "if its not broke, don't fix it"

Not to muddy the water here but... Find yourself a gummy, flat as a board Gateway HPP Warrior. Very stable, super durable (I've seen FLX take some massive cuts by hitting baskets, gravel, trees, etc), doesn't shoot off trees. Love mine, much more than any Drone I've thrown.

OTOH I've got a HPP Warrior with a huge dome, not predictable at all in the wind. So if you buy blind there is a risk.

^^

I loved my warrior, but I went to a flx drone because of the consistency in the runs.

I just bought my first Pro D Drone for the winter. All of my FLX and Z Drones are quite flat but this Pro D is really domey by comparison. Are Pro D Drones normally domey?

Can't say about Pro-D, but I can definitely say there are some super domey FLX ones out there, and I recently got one. Since it's my first and only Drone I didn't know if they usually are domey or flat (I would have expected flat), but this one is truly poppy top domey. Super overstable too, fades right out of my hand, but I don't have much to compare it to.

I got a champ gator I will sell you! It is very overstable. I actually went with the drone over the gator only because it is easy to replace. I can' t buy a champ gator from Disc Golf Center but I can get a flx drone.

I keep a star gator and a drone in my bag. My gator will stay anny if I try to flex it, the drone won't.

The drone isn't a pig, the gator is...there is no way you will get drone distance with a gator.

PS, gremlins are more straight up stable. I should know, my wife is a gremlin addict.

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but flx drones are somewhat stiff. I am not a fan of FLX plastic but for some reason these feel just like regular ESP. I guess they would be too rigid in ESP. And as the disc beats in, it gains a lot of glide. Still has great fade, but gets much more workable and is almost like a mini firebird now.

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but flx drones are somewhat stiff. I am not a fan of FLX plastic but for some reason these feel just like regular ESP. I guess they would be too rigid in ESP. And as the disc beats in, it gains a lot of glide. Still has great fade, but gets much more workable and is almost like a mini firebird now.

If I remember correctly some runs of the flx drone was actually 75% ESP and only 25% flx. That would actually make it seem a lot harder than normal flx but still have enough bend to keep it from getting damaged easily.

It really depends on the run. I have a 2008 worlds and it is very stiff but my 2008 LE production run is far softer. I saw some 2009 regular production run ones that were rather floppy. So there is quite a range to pick from.

I use a z drone now because it naturally glides better than the flx, but for a while i used to purposely do a lot of skip shots in the forested course where the floor was hard dirt. Nice little trick shot to have and the flx drone handled it perfectly. It would take a 45 to 60 degree turn to the left when it hit the ground and then fly for another 30 to 40 feet. Excellent for those narrow turns.

all of mine have been regular production run. and yes, great for trick/skip shots but still controllable.

I find it interesting that you think the Z has more glide than the FLX. I had two that I threw a bit and got rid of (unfortunately) that I felt had WAY less glide than the FLX. Plus I thought as a general rule that Z/Champ plastic has less glide than ESP/Star plastic. That has been my experience at least.

Domey Champ Rocs are similar in some ways to Drones. They're both relatively glidey for overstable mids.

I used to carry a 180g 2010 USDGC Rancho for the slot that my FLX Drones now occupy.
The differences being:
Calm Conditions: Drone (HSS 0, LSS +4), Roc (HSS +1, LSS +4)
Headwinds: Drone (HSS 0, LSS +3), Roc (HSS -1, LSS +5)

There's also the cost issue.
Personally, the FLX Drone has quickly become an indispensable disc for open courses, windy or calm.