• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] drone question

all of mine have been regular production run. and yes, great for trick/skip shots but still controllable.

I find it interesting that you think the Z has more glide than the FLX. I had two that I threw a bit and got rid of (unfortunately) that I felt had WAY less glide than the FLX. Plus I thought as a general rule that Z/Champ plastic has less glide than ESP/Star plastic. That has been my experience at least.

I am willing to accept that either i have freakish discs, which has happened in the past, or that i am suffering a placebo effect, but it seems that all of my flx plastic actually glide less then their premium plastic counterparts. This is definitely true of my surges and predators. The Zs get considerable more distance and are not as stable. However, the flx's superior grip and durability makes it far easier to look past this one deficiency in the winter or in a wooded course. I do not see a difference in my buzzzes or avengers but I do believe i see some between my drones, or at least enough where i feel more confident using the Z Instead of the flx because I also carry an ESP zone which is basically a shorter drone.

Last edited:
I have two zones coming in the mail because I've heard the drone comparison before, and I love that damn disc. It is so good in the wind. On some courses I hardly use it at all. But it is indispensable for certain kinds of distance control shots, and for tricky schitt in the woods. All hail the drone!!

I have two zones coming in the mail because I've heard the drone comparison before, and I love that damn disc. It is so good in the wind. On some courses I hardly use it at all. But it is indispensable for certain kinds of distance control shots, and for tricky schitt in the woods. All hail the drone!!

I LOVE the Zone. I wouldn't call it a putter though. The rim is very shallow, and the diameter seems wide for a putter. More like a putter/mid hybrid, like the Pig. The two I have are 173g, and are tremendously workable, almost like a slower Buzzz with more HSS and a fade that begins earlier in the flight. I throw mine almost as far as my Drones.

They're hilariously straight for touch/rescue FH rollers too.

My zones are my mini preds. They fly very similarly (the zone just being 200' shorter). They are more workable for me than a drone, and have a more predictable skip (the drone skips funny)

My zones are my mini preds. They fly very similarly (the zone just being 200' shorter). They are more workable for me than a drone, and have a more predictable skip (the drone skips funny)

^^^^Ups for this^^^
I use an ESP Zone for skips around corners.
The FLX Drone is much less predictable. Sometimes it flops, sometimes it skips.
The Zone is also good for flex forehands and overhand rescue shots. Very workable.
I use a Drone for longer distances than my Zone can reach.

Zone plastic

The Zone plastic seems softer then Pro-D plastic. I stopped using them because they got beat up too fast.