• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dumbest Disc Names

Catch with Discmania, first initial is the plastic, 2nd is the type of disc. PD= Pro Driver. CD2=Champion Midrange 2. So yeah, the names are functional, but still stupid.

Well the PD is the power driver and there is no such thing as a CD2 but the CD is a control driver. They also have another "popular" name attached like Freak, Fiend, Hysteria, Psycho, Maniac, etc. Some of these names/graphics are pretty stupid too. It fits with the Discmania brand name, sort of, but doesn't do their product justice...

Catch with Discmania, first initial is the plastic, 2nd is the type of disc. PD= Pro Driver. CD2=Champion Midrange 2. So yeah, the names are functional, but still stupid.

You're just a little off there. PD=Power Driver, CD=Control Driver, TD=Turning Driver, DD=Distance Driver, MD=Midrange? (there's the MD1 & MD2). Beyond that, a few of the initials are repeated with a number added: DD2, PD2. They're all different molds.

Their plastics break down into P-Line (Innova's Pro), S-Line (Star), C-Line (Champ), D-Line (DX).

So someone could go to the store for a P-PD and leave with an S-TD as well.

wahoo.jpg

the wahoo is a fish. the wahoo is a floating disc from innova.

IMO the polecat is a dumber name.

so the "d" in PD means driver, but the "d" in CD means midrange.

too confusing, screw it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, PD stands for "Power Driver" and CD stands for "Control Driver"

Ape is the stupidest name in my book.
Close second is the "Pain".
Seriously, who makes this stuff up?

Polecat = gay version of a cougar <--from urbandictionary.com
Breeze is a pretty stupid name for something you don't want to throw if there is one
Naming anything for the water is also pretty lame makes me think it's destined to be there. (wahoo, hydra)

And the whole discmania line. PD, DD, CD, ....cmon, stick your neck out there a little bit and make me want to buy it on name alone

I am going to respectively disagree with this one. All of Discmania discs have names along with their letters, TD is the Rush, but unlike Lightning which uses names like #1 Roller, the letter of the plastic line along with what it does instantly lets me know what the disc does, how good the plastic is, and does so with the abbreviations making it sound very technical.

I think I mainly feel this way about Discmania because I really do not like their ghoulish, zombie type graphics on their P Lines and some of their newer S-Lines. Their C-Lines and some of their older Ss have a very classical look.

As for names to add to this list, I think the Stalker and Wahoo were ill-conceived but not the worst names out there. The Birdie is up there too but at least the name has some kind of golfing reference. The Groove as a name is acceptable because it accurately describes its appearance (now if they had created an image of a dancer in a 70s disco pose that would cross the line). Even the Monarch despite its less than imposing name gets some reprieve because it performs well enough. Ultimately I would vote for the Polecat.

River, Kite, Whippet, BlowFly

I am going to give the River a get out of jail free card for three reasons:

1) The disc is so awesome that the name instantly strikes fear and respect into its competitors. Maybe not at the beginning, but it has earned its stripes. It would be like Chuck Norris changing his name to Charles Norris. You still would not mess with him.

2) If you look at most stories that involve those sweet, innocent looking teenagers who deep down have some kind of hidden or rarely shown talent like knowing kung-fu, having magical powers, or know some government secret that can at any moment turn them into a mindless assassin, they are all named River or Willow.

3) Rivers can be big and powerful; Mississippi, Amazon, Nile, Missouri, etc and so on. Brooks, streams, and creeks, not so much.

And the whole discmania line. PD, DD, CD, ....cmon, stick your neck out there a little bit and make me want to buy it on name alone
I think you mean Freak, Hysteria and Craze there. The two letter codes are designations, not names.
so the "d" in PD means driver, but the "d" in CD means midrange.

too confusing, screw it.
Of course it's confusing if you're using the wrong designations... Though I have to admit that at least Millennium's names/designations were confusing until I actually took a good look at them (QOLF, SOLF, MOLF, SOLS, SPLS, SJLS...)
CD2 would be Control Driver 2, and it doesn't exist (yet). You're indeed thinking of the MD2, which doesn't stand for midrange 2, but Midrange Driver 2.
You're just a little off there. PD=Power Driver, CD=Control Driver, TD=Turning Driver, DD=Distance Driver, MD=Midrange? (there's the MD1 & MD2). Beyond that, a few of the initials are repeated with a number added: DD2, PD2. They're all different molds.

Their plastics break down into P-Line (Innova's Pro), S-Line (Star), C-Line (Champ), D-Line (DX).

So someone could go to the store for a P-PD and leave with an S-TD as well.
Apart from the MD1, every disc has a name to go with the designation:
P1 = Maniac
P2 = Psycho
MD2 = Fiend
GM = Gremlin
TD = Rush
CD = Craze
PD = Freak
PD2 = Chaos
DD = Hysteria
DD2 = Frenzy

And frankly I like the designations better than any names. BMW and Audi seem to do well with just designations for names. =)

the Driver putter from Innova, and its written on the back of the disc as BB? First off, a putter named Driver? And whats with the abbreviation BB?

Stupid

the Driver putter from Innova, and its written on the back of the disc as BB? First off, a putter named Driver? And whats with the abbreviation BB?

Stupid
You mean the Aviar Driver? The Aviar WAS a driver before it ever was a putter. And driving putter is a perfectly valid disc category.

The BB stands for "Big Bead", as opposed to beadless and small bead (SB) Aviars.

Latest posts