• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

durable putter

I will add my voice ot the chorus of Vibram putters.
They are completely indestructable and fly as well as any other putters out there. Gateway putters would be a distant second.
With these 2 companies on the market, I will probably never buy another Innova or Discraft putter again...

My dad let his dog chew on a vibram putter and it held up better than any other disc, It was almost as good as the superhero dog discs. Vibram putters are pretty tough, don't believe me? Throw a Champion Aviar and a Vibram Summitt in a pen with 4 Boston terriers.

For the Vibram video I would like to have seen a Grip line pure and something in Champ Plastic.

Last edited:
Gateway evo hpp plastic is the best ive used. Been using mine for 2yrs now and still looks fairly new.

Is that the clear-ish evo HPP? Cause I had a Warrior that was somewhat clear and gummy but my magic is more opaque and and not really gummy but soft.

My dad let his dog chew on a vibram putter and it held up better than any other disc, It was almost as good as the superhero dog discs. Vibram putters are pretty tough, don't believe me? Throw a Champion Aviar and a Vibram Summitt in a pen with 4 Boston terriers.

For the Vibram video I would like to have seen a Grip line pure and something in Champ Plastic.

My guess is that the terriers would wear out first. :) Here's the video against higher grade (more slippery) plastics:

That video is retarded. They are comparing an expensive (~$17 on DGCenter) X Link discs to discs that are generally $6-$7. How about they compare it to an HPP Evo Wizard or Star/Champ Aviar. Does the pure come in Opto?

Also, putters get good after they beat in. Wizards are made to beat in and if he would have shaped it back with his hands it would have been flat again.

Either way, bad testing.

As for the OP

Your flick sounds clean if you can flick a pure 250ft. I'm guessing you had ultimate background, most ultimate players can flick better within about 300. Get a disc with a bead, it doesn't need to be premium plastic and in fact should NOT be premium plastic. They do not glide as well, and that fact alone goes against your flick style. Flicking a putter takes a lot of spin, less velocity, and letting the disc glide.

Beaded putters last much longer than non-beaded putters. The favorites of those would be a big bead aviar, and my favorite would be gateway putters. A wizard for you would be too overstable right off the bat. A voodoo or warlock might be what you are looking for, but in the long run you will want a beat wizard for stability due to the bead.

Another choice would be the ion. From what I've thrown they are pretty stable and will stay that way due to the plastic/rubber they are made out of. They are more expensive but have tons of glide and enough stability to hold a dead straight 250ft shot +

If I remember correctly the plastics were chosen because the grip coefficient is about the same in all of them. They also did another test with premium plastics.

As for the OP

Your flick sounds clean if you can flick a pure 250ft. I'm guessing you had ultimate background, most ultimate players can flick better within about 300. Get a disc with a bead, it doesn't need to be premium plastic and in fact should NOT be premium plastic. They do not glide as well, and that fact alone goes against your flick style. Flicking a putter takes a lot of spin, less velocity, and letting the disc glide.

Beaded putters last much longer than non-beaded putters. The favorites of those would be a big bead aviar, and my favorite would be gateway putters. A wizard for you would be too overstable right off the bat. A voodoo or warlock might be what you are looking for, but in the long run you will want a beat wizard for stability due to the bead.

Another choice would be the ion. From what I've thrown they are pretty stable and will stay that way due to the plastic/rubber they are made out of. They are more expensive but have tons of glide and enough stability to hold a dead straight 250ft shot +

I'm not the OP, but I'll comment anyway:)

No ultimate background here. I was sick of OAT, so I relearned everything with putters.

I totally agree with everything else you wrote, but IONs are slick and that can be a problem for some. They fly great, thought.

Are the Champ/Star P&A Aviars the same as the small bead DX Aviars? I have one of those, but it has no fade left. I love the disc and want something to replace it, but I thought I read somewhere that the SB Aviars are OOP? I hope that I misread that!

I think Star/Champ Aviars are either big bead or no bead. You can still get SB Aviars more or less by using Omegas, they're almost exactly the same.

That video is retarded. They are comparing an expensive (~$17 on DGCenter) X Link discs to discs that are generally $6-$7. How about they compare it to an HPP Evo Wizard or Star/Champ Aviar. Does the pure come in Opto?

Also, putters get good after they beat in. Wizards are made to beat in and if he would have shaped it back with his hands it would have been flat again.

Either way, bad testing.

As for the OP

I'm not sure I understand how beaded putters last longer than non-beaded putters? But, I've never really had a putter get beat in beyond usability.

I'm not sure I understand how beaded putters last longer than non-beaded putters? But, I've never really had a putter get beat in beyond usability.

With beaded putters, the bead has to be worn off before the actual body of the putter starts to be destroyed. At least the bottom of the body. :thmbup:

I play i west Texas a lot. Rocks, cactus, mesquite and honey locust trees. I bought the Vibram putters to play out there, now I use them all the time. Want it to last in adverse conditions... Vibram is the choice.

I only read the first and last pages of this thread and I'm all in with the Vibram crowd. Throwing forehand I'd try the VP first. I think I threw my Ridge hard compound over 100 times before I noticed any blemish. Besides, in my neck of the woods it helps to have a soft putter that isn't prone to roll-aways on steep inclines and the softer compounds fill that bill. What I don't like about many of the soft compounds because they get too grippy for me. Vibram has solved that riddle as well with soft compounds that have a nice easy release.

And no, I don't work for Vibram, they're products have saved me from sure death in the mountains and now make another product I love on the dg course!

Latest posts