• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Disc Putters

bigegan18

I've used a R-Pro Dart as my main putter for a while. I've tried out some other putters in the past (magnet, focus and aviar), but they've all went back out of the bag for dart to return. My friend has told me it's because I'm used to the glide dart has over the others.

I've heard some great reviews about dynamic discs judge and warden and have thought about trying the warden since it's beadless like dart, but have never convinced myself to actually buy one. I know everyone says just use what works, but since I've never tried them, I don't know if they work better or not.

So do any judge or warden users think I should give them a try and think I'll like one more than my dart?

I don't know if they work better or not.

Work better for what? Putting, driving? Do you want something that will handle a headwind better than a dart?

Inside the circle the difference between putters is negligible and comes down to what feels most comfortable in your hand. Judges and wardens are slightly more shallow than the average putter, is this something you think you'd like.

I don't think you are going to find a putter that has as much 'glide' as a dart, but some people prefer discs that have a tendency to fall out of the air a bit faster as they are generally easier to range.

Try a Pure.

Did he ask about pures? Even if he did your answer is useless.

It would be used for putting only. I have a star dart that I use for drives/approaches and love it, so a judge/warden would be solely for putting.

I bag 2 classic wardens for putting and absolutely love them. I push putt with a little bit of spin and they are very reliable. I think the judge has a bit more stability than the warden so I'm planning to pick one up for a driving putter. I also have a fuzion warden but that's for approaches. Warden just fits well in the hand for me, which builds the confidence.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

*raises paw*

I use the Classic Warden for my in-the-circle putting. I started out with Classic Blend Wardens and Judges (very good disc also), and in round after round where I threw both, the beadless Warden was just a smidgen better for me in both feel and accuracy for my putting stroke. Then I saw that with use, the Classic Blends started softening up just a bit, so I went to Classic, and it's been very good for me.

The Judge and Warden both have a tad more glide than many other putters, and it's been my experience that the Judge has more glide than the Warden, but fades more quickly than the Warden.

Someone mentioned the Pure, which is DD's sister company Lat64's disc. The Zero Hard is the same as Classic (Hard), the Zero Medium the same as Classic Blend, and so on. The Pure is a very good putter, though I prefer the Warden more. I do like the Opto Pure for longer throws, and look forward to trying a Gold Line Pure in the near future.

One thing you need to remember is that the Dart is very low profiled and very fast putter. From Trilogy, the Spike would be closest in that sense but Pure is not far off.

That being said, both Judge and Warden are great putters, just a touch deeper and slower than Dart.

I think if you're transitioning from a Dart, the Warden would be a good disc to try. Bite the bullet and buy one in what ever plastic feels good to you and give it a try. Nobody can tell you what will work for you, it's ultimately your call and their will be some trial and error in finding what works the best.

I used to putt with a Dart when I first started and was tired of not being able to gauge distance on long putts. Tried a lot of different putters found the judge and stuck with it for quite awhile, a few years ago I switched to the Yeti and haven't changed since, it just fits my style.

I use a soft Judge and I love it for putting. On approaches, though, it sometimes seems a little bouncy. If it lands flat, it's fine, stays where it is but if it's hyzering a littler (as it tends to do on longer putts/approaches), it can bounce/roll a bit more than I like/expect. That being said, I have made a ton of putts with it; it has great grip, is fairly shallow so it seems like it releases well. I like it.

Do you happen to have a shop near you? If you do, go feel up some Judges and Wardens first. Make sure it's got a handfeel that you like. Even if you dont,Classic and/or Prime plastic is pretty cheap no matter who you order from, so you wont be dropping a ton of cash.

I putt with Wizards, but I have tried both the Judge and Warden in the past. I prefer a bead on my putter, so for me, the Judge was better. For you though, I think you would prefer the Warden...thr bead on the Judge is pretty substantial.

Either disc is going to have more all around stability than a Dart, and probably wont go as far as quick. But if you are just using it to putt, I dont think you'll notice too much. Hope that helps.

Give the judge a try. I used to putt with the Dart for a spell but it was too glide for me inside the circle, and too easily influenced by wind given my putting style. I've slammed chains are more putting with Fluid Judges than with any other putter, save a Blowfly. Only reason I don't putt with the Blowfly anymore is due to its scarcity in these parts.

Take the time and try a bunch of putters to find out what's most comfortable to you. Don't limit yourself to one maufacturer or anything, go try them all.

Latest posts