• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eliminating speed 7 discs from my game?

You can read what I write to "judge" my level of expertise.

If you require a disc golf rating.
Its over 9000.

ermmmmm

Or I can just choose not to read what you write at all. It is starting to sound like a viable option.

Last edited:
ermmmmm

Or I can just choose not to read what you write at all. It is starting to sound like a viable option.

The problem with coaching in general for disc golf is peoples inability to accept any advice from someone who isn't a pro or someone who isn't "rated" high enough, or shoots well enough on the course.

All my time I spend studying and reading and trying things. I'm not out practicing to shoot 1000 rated rounds. I'm out practicing ways to help people enjoy disc golf and get better.

It's this sort of attitude that holds disc golf back from growing more. Pro's are unwilling to accept advice from anyone that cannot beat them. But they cannot see the simplest of lines, or choose the correct shot shapes sometimes.

I watch them struggle with simple holes and simple shot shapes and cry over it.
But nope, my opinion means nothing because I can park the hole as a crappy player, but a 1050 rated player cannot figure it out.

So when we got players who are not even elite level more worried about a players rating to give validity to their ability to coach and teach, that doesn't further this at all.

I have my method of things, SW has his method.
We all talk and discuss and learn. I could care less what anyone's rating is. I want to hear peoples thoughts so I can either add them to my own, discuss them further.

You can read what I write to "judge" my level of expertise.

If you require a disc golf rating.
Its over 9000.

ermmmmm

"Those who can't do, teach."

I don't mean this as a slight to Sheep. Given the laundry list of injuries and ailments he posted, I wouldn't expect a touring pro's level of execution or skill.

Just because he can't do something at the level of someone else doesn't mean he doesn't know how it should be done.

The problem with coaching in general for disc golf is peoples inability to accept any advice from someone who isn't a pro or someone who isn't "rated" high enough, or shoots well enough on the course.

All my time I spend studying and reading and trying things. I'm not out practicing to shoot 1000 rated rounds. I'm out practicing ways to help people enjoy disc golf and get better.

It's this sort of attitude that holds disc golf back from growing more. Pro's are unwilling to accept advice from anyone that cannot beat them. But they cannot see the simplest of lines, or choose the correct shot shapes sometimes.

I watch them struggle with simple holes and simple shot shapes and cry over it.
But nope, my opinion means nothing because I can park the hole as a crappy player, but a 1050 rated player cannot figure it out.

So when we got players who are not even elite level more worried about a players rating to give validity to their ability to coach and teach, that doesn't further this at all.

I have my method of things, SW has his method.
We all talk and discuss and learn. I could care less what anyone's rating is. I want to hear peoples thoughts so I can either add them to my own, discuss them further.

I think your problem is you are trying to force your coaching and expertise on people who aren't asking for it. And then wondering why they are questioning you.

"Those who can't do, teach."

I don't mean this as a slight to Sheep. Given the laundry list of injuries and ailments he posted, I wouldn't expect a touring pro's level of execution or skill.

Just because he can't do something at the level of someone else doesn't mean he doesn't know how it should be done.

I see one issue here. I didn't enter the technique and strategy section, this thread just keeps popping up on my top threads list lol. I innocently didn't realize the section this was in or that there is an informal heirarchy here. No harm intended honestly, I was just wasting some time on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I still think it's wise to not assume someone is looking for advice but that is just me, lol.

If I am quite certain I can do something better than the dude who is giving advice, naturally I will take that advice with a grain of salt.. lolol.

Btw, I agree the Drift is a great disc.

Last edited:
Ha. I guess I did post this in the technique/strategy section. Guess I'll have to cut coach Sheep some slack on this one.

But, technically I suppose running without the seven speed stuff is strategy related.

Ha. I guess I did post this in the technique/strategy section. Guess I'll have to cut coach Sheep some slack on this one.

But, technically I suppose running without the seven speed stuff is strategy related.

Coaching/technique/strategy is where it belongs in a way.

Because it breeds a good discussion on bag creation, why we throw the speeds we do, and why we should possibly be okay with just ignoring speeds in discs.

I don't think we need to focus so hard on finding discs for every slot and speed when we build a bag, and I stand by it.
Because if its not working, stop trying to pound the square peg in the round hole, Just pull it out and find things that work.

Lets also take a look at something I personally disagree with as well when it comes to pro bags, with an example.

Pro's essentially get stuck in their "bag" and never change it. They just keep throwing the discs they have been throwing never changing it up, never trying new things.
If they change their bag its cause a new disc came out and they tried it, or they had a disc made to their specs. But otherwise, once they build something, they just keep pounding the pegs regardless if they fit or not.

But look at pro's when they switch sponsors and they have to really change up their game, change up their throws, bags disc flights and all sorts of other things. Conrad was hot. Paul was hot, Ricky was hot, Dickerson was hot.
Why?
They got uncomfortable, they tried new things, and they focused up.

But when they start throwing a disc bad, they dont pull it from their bag after time, they just keep throwing it cause its how they built their bag.
Now these are generalisms of course, not all players do that, but it appears to me from what I can tell is that if they change up their bag its really small changes if at all.

Pulling and replacing keeps things fresh. The argument from them would be that they dont want to change things up.
I would argue that you need some spice!

Which is why I like a core bag concept vs a matrix concept.
Core discs are the core of your game, the discs you can play anytime anywhere that you've just never seemed to drop ever.
Then you build around it, and those discs might change, but your core bag doesn't change. This keeps it fresh, and if you have a disc line that falls out of favor, who cares, you still got the few discs you are always confident throwing.

Though, if the original message is 7 speeds were your core, and now they are not, then. Maybe they were never your core?
Or maybe you reached the next level in your game and that change was necessary.
And if that is the case, even more awesome.

But look at pro's when they switch sponsors and they have to really change up their game, change up their throws, bags disc flights and all sorts of other things. Conrad was hot. Paul was hot, Ricky was hot, Dickerson was hot.
Why?
They got uncomfortable, they tried new things, and they focused up.

Yep. I am on the opposite end of the pro spectrum than those guys but when I got sponsored and switched from an almost all Innova bag to an all Prodigy bag I got hot as well. New discs force you to pay attention to what you are doing to a much greater degree than the same old ones.

Yep. I am on the opposite end of the pro spectrum than those guys but when I got sponsored and switched from an almost all Innova bag to an all Prodigy bag I got hot as well. New discs force you to pay attention to what you are doing to a much greater degree than the same old ones.

Exactly.
When you get to comfortable with some stuff, you get a bit lazy with it.

I'm not sure how Paul keeps it so fresh and so clean all the time.
I think he's just that level of player and just nobody else is there yet.

We got a few people following close, but it's almost like Ricky follows through sheer willpower alone.

Though, if the original message is 7 speeds were your core, and now they are not, then. Maybe they were never your core?
Or maybe you reached the next level in your game and that change was necessary.
And if that is the case, even more awesome.

My game is always evolving and I'm currently in a place where the gap between my mids and speed 9 discs isn't all that great.

I'm still a noodle arm old guy but I've picked up distance steadily over the last couple of years. I've also gotten to where I really enjoy throwing mids and putters. I'm at a point where I'm comfortable throwing mids to about 285-295'. Depending on what I'm trying to accomplish, I can get my 9 speeds out somewhere in the 320-360' range. The speed 7 stuff is really hit or miss for me right now. I would say they will generally get me out somewhere between 290' and 320' which really encroaches on both the mids and my 9 speed stuff so I typically lean on those discs instead.

Sheep, I am very curious. You seem to have a lot of knowledge and like to pass on that knowledge. If you don't mind my asking, what are your qualifications as a coach? What is your PDGA player rating. I'm not calling you out by any means, but it would help me, and maybe others, to put your comments and experience into some type of context. I apologize if this is covered and documented elsewhere.

TIA.

I agree with the perspective that it is good to ask for credentials, and it's interesting to me when teaching/personal skill mismatches come up.

In a now mostly dormant AMA, sidewinder once mentioned that he had a mid 900s PDGA rating. But the guy clearly put himself through a lot to develop his form within some physical limitations to good effect, and I'll be the first to go to bat about his knowledge base and coaching skill (I've only worked with him online so far). I think he's also 5'7'' and in his 40s now and getting the most out of himself, and I liked the idea of learning from someone who had that background starting out in my 30s with some injury history.

When I share or teach anything (not broadly yet), I have become very clear to mention my own limitations, sources, points of controversy, etc. I slowed down my own rate of teaching because I personally think I am a better teacher (just like in my day job as a professor) when I have at least a fundamental grasp on how to do the preferred actions myself. IMO it turns out that's really hard to do in DG. And some topics can be taught very well even if the person isn't at the top of that field themselves.

On topic - 7 speeds: Drift seems cool. Preferable to Leopard3 or Patriot? I too struggle with the jump from 5/6 speed to Fairways. I always like to power up on a mid or power down on a faster driver/make use of their ground play more than I tend to grab 7-speeds. But I started tinkering with them again recently.

I agree with the perspective that it is good to ask for credentials, and it's interesting to me when teaching/personal skill mismatches come up.

In a now mostly dormant AMA, sidewinder once mentioned that he had a mid 900s PDGA rating. But the guy clearly put himself through a lot to develop his form within some physical limitations to good effect, and I'll be the first to go to bat about his knowledge base and coaching skill (I've only worked with him online so far). I think he's also 5'7'' and in his 40s now and getting the most out of himself, and I liked the idea of learning from someone who had that background starting out in my 30s with some injury history.

When I share or teach anything (not broadly yet), I have become very clear to mention my own limitations, sources, points of controversy, etc. I slowed down my own rate of teaching because I personally think I am a better teacher (just like in my day job as a professor) when I have at least a fundamental grasp on how to do the preferred actions myself. IMO it turns out that's really hard to do in DG. And some topics can be taught very well even if the person isn't at the top of that field themselves.

On topic - 7 speeds: Drift seems cool. Preferable to Leopard3 or Patriot? I too struggle with the jump from 5/6 speed to Fairways. I always like to power up on a mid or power down on a faster driver/make use of their ground play more than I tend to grab 7-speeds. But I started tinkering with them again recently.

I can certainly relate. I started again in my 50's after taking about 15 years off. A variety of ailments that prevent me from doing a proper X step. I am mostly self taught form wise, and use an altered hop to get my core in position to throw. I consider my self mostly uncoachable in that regard since only a handful of people throw like I throw. And I'm more that ok with that lol. I have fun and can still throw ok for a 56 year old dude. Lol.

BTW, I looked up that Sidewinder AMA thread. The McBeast random cameo appearance was classic, lolol.

I recently took two TL3s (one Star one Halo) out of my bag because they overlapped with my Champ Sidewinder and CD2. TL3s are technically a speed 8, but they replaced the FD a few years ago. Currently I have a Leopard3 as my only 7 speed for slower, easy turnover shots. It slightly overlaps with my Star Sidewinder, but the SW is more flippy.

I have been having the hardest time with this same thing over the past year. For an extended time period I used thunderbirds and TL3s as my fairways. There were very few times that I felt like I needed a teebird in my bag. Now, I have the hawkeye, teebird, and thunderbird in my bag and I don't know the last time I even touched my thunderbird. It went from my most used to least used disc in my bag and I have thought about taking it out. I feel like I am carrying more discs than I want right now but I am having a hard time figuring out how to put my bag together.

Latest posts