• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever consider quitting?

I thought about quitting today when I hit a tree 100' in front of me. Then I parked a big downhill shot, that I usually throw a driver on, with a Buzzz. Then, I loved it again.

Quit? No thanks. Plus, my wife would kill me if I quit after all the cash I spent on gear.

My wife would probably like it if I quit.

My wife is happy I'm out exercising instead of just sitting playing Call of Duty.

Yep, same here (although I would play WoW or something similar). She also appreciates that I need some time to go hang out with the guys, and DG is a somewhat healthy avenue to hang out with the guys, (i.e. it isn't going to bars or strip clubs).

I thought about making this same thread about a month ago. I play the same course between 4 and 10 rounds per week. Same discs, same shots day after day!!!!! Realized I was just getting bored. I just started playing in February and haven't really tried to throw thumbers, tomahawks, rollers and still am not very good at forehand. I started trying to incorporate all of these shots into every round I play now and it has helped break up the monotony of the same round day after day. My scores have improved as well.

Sounds like you play at Castle a lot. I do too. As good as that course is it is also a grind sometimes. Same shots on the same lines thrown the same way, and if you are playing bad (ie..missing lines) the course is merciless. Sometimes I have to take a break from it and play somewhere out of town.

I hear people say "a bad day throwing a disc is better than a good day at work." Honestly I am one of the few people who has a job they enjoy so when I am on the course and playing like s***, I often think that I should have just gone to work and made some money. I don't think about quitting the game though.

It crosses my mind once a week, or more. I'm 30 years old, and i've been playing this stuid game for over 20 years. I'm not getting better....the opposite really. My drives are getting shorter, I can't putt from as far away as I used to, etc. Everytime I play a tournament and just get totally creamed by some young guy who has no respect for the history of the game, etiquette, whatever, it just makes me want to put the discs down and never pick them up.

I am not physically gifted for this sport. I'm 5 foot 9 and one stocky sumbitch. I'm great at powerlifting and wrestling, but sports where the advantage is in rotational force, I'm always a step behind the taller guys and gals. Disc golf is one of those sports.

But then I reason with myself. It usually involves a compromise like "well, since these are so frustrating, maybe I'll just quit doing tournaments." and that only lasts until the next cool tournament comes along. It's a vicious cycle.

I thought about quitting today when I hit a tree 100' in front of me. Then I parked a big downhill shot, that I usually throw a driver on, with a Buzzz. Then, I loved it again.

Quit? No thanks. Plus, my wife would kill me if I quit after all the cash I spent on gear.

^^Bingo.

I end up taking breaks from daylight rounds and just do night rounds. Most of my frustration, as I'm sure for many others, is that the max distance just isn't improving no matter what I try. There's a pretty crappy pitch-n-putt course that sucks and is generally crowded, but at night it's just me and whoever else feels like some night golf with a flask of fireball, knowing full well that the round doesn't really count. That's when the glo buzz flies like some ace-seeking missile and I remember that I started playing this GAME to blow off steam and not accumulate it. That's what jobs are for. That, and to earn more frisbee money.

Personally:
I hope that I will always be able to play this game casually on my own schedule, but tournament competition no longer appeals to me. As someone that has been rated over 950 for several years now, I do not play anywhere near as much as I once did. Discgolf to me has just about as much significance as going bowling, or playing a game of spades. It is a fun activity, but for me, it's all about the people and new experiences. Playing against opponents that spend 5+ hours a day, 7 days a week on this game is part of what ruined it for me. My hand-eye coordination and the ranking system force me to compete against the top level of amateurs, but their unbalanced lifestyle is not something that I would ever want to emulate. For their sakes, I hope that they are magnificent at this one game, because they are missing out on so much more by devoting so much of themselves to it. Family, friends, career, religion, travel, and growth through new experiences are all much too important to me to ever want to dump so much of myself into just one thing. So I'll pass.

Generally:
I also think that by attaching the word "quit" to the subject, you are getting a lot of false bravado responses. The simple fact of the matter is that it is completely normal for people to become interested in something, learn it to the point of near mastery, then eventually move on to the next thing out of boredom. The hunger for the next new challenge is part of what makes us humans great.

You are clearly on the wrong site my friend. Family, friends, travel, religion, and growth can all happen on the disc golf course after all.

About 2 years into playing, I got to a point where all I was doing was eating, sleeping, and talking disc golf 23 hours a day. My family was getting sick of it,and I was getting tired of it myself. I finally just had to take 2 months off. No playing, no talking about it, nothing. It was a nice escape. After 2 months, I came back to the game, and I felt more refreshed, and ready to play. My game improved, and I didn't take the game as serious as I once did.

I used to worry about tournaments, and trying to improve, and now, I just play for the fun, and enjoy just hanging out with my friends. If I shoot good, great, and if not, oh well. Its just for fun.

I am no longer interested in tournaments, I do enjoy playing and working on my brothers form. He enjoys the game a lot more than I do. I still have a vast knowledge of the sport and how to fix form issues, so I'll just be his coach, especially since I don't have/want the mental game to play tournaments.

Personally:
My hand-eye coordination and the ranking system force me to compete against the top level of amateurs, but their unbalanced lifestyle is not something that I would ever want to emulate. For their sakes, I hope that they are magnificent at this one game, because they are missing out on so much more by devoting so much of themselves to it. Family, friends, career, religion, travel, and growth through new experiences are all much too important to me to ever want to dump so much of myself into just one thing. So I'll pass.

Hate to rain on your parade, buddy, but some folks I know can maintain a 980+ rating in their sleep. No unbalanced lifestyle necessary.

I like to throw. I quit for 8 years because of an injury to my shoulder and the resulting job that gave me no time to play. They are the "lost years".

I could replace it with archery, but disc golf is a lot more cost efficient.

I gave up playing in tournaments almost 8 years ago, but I still play for fun and write my scores on the calendar when I get home...just in case I want to formulate averages.

Yeah, when I started seeing people more than a decade younger than me taking the then-new Wraith and outdriving me by 100' in Am-1, I realized I had reached my zenith. However, I still am extremely gratified by all the things that attracted me to Disc Golf in the first place, such as nailing a 150' upshot, making a clutch 50' putt to save par or keep a string of good holes going, etc.

I think I'll go out and play right this instant!

I never considered quitting the game. I have stepped away from organized events, especially PDGA tournaments. I am just annoyed at having to shell out money every time I want to get into a competition. Especially knowing that a large percent of my PDGA entry fees are going into the pro purse. When I see postings about work days or certain projects going on at a course, I am always willing to pitch in. But I really have no interest in spending $300-$400 a year to play organized events (local + PDGA) when I'm not an elite pro with a chance at making it all back. That is where my frustration is. I still play as much as I can because of the satisfaction of getting better.

Personally:
I hope that I will always be able to play this game casually on my own schedule, but tournament competition no longer appeals to me. As someone that has been rated over 950 for several years now, I do not play anywhere near as much as I once did. Discgolf to me has just about as much significance as going bowling, or playing a game of spades. It is a fun activity, but for me, it's all about the people and new experiences. Playing against opponents that spend 5+ hours a day, 7 days a week on this game is part of what ruined it for me. My hand-eye coordination and the ranking system force me to compete against the top level of amateurs, but their unbalanced lifestyle is not something that I would ever want to emulate. For their sakes, I hope that they are magnificent at this one game, because they are missing out on so much more by devoting so much of themselves to it. Family, friends, career, religion, travel, and growth through new experiences are all much too important to me to ever want to dump so much of myself into just one thing. So I'll pass.

Generally:
I also think that by attaching the word "quit" to the subject, you are getting a lot of false bravado responses. The simple fact of the matter is that it is completely normal for people to become interested in something, learn it to the point of near mastery, then eventually move on to the next thing out of boredom. The hunger for the next new challenge is part of what makes us humans great.

This has to be a troll post, right? I mean, is anybody seriously this misguided about life? Like, it's impossible to have multiple hobbies, passions, pursuits while simultaneously working on mind, body and spirit? What a completely odd thing to spew all over a disc golf forum.

This has to be a troll post, right? I mean, is anybody seriously this misguided about life? Like, it's impossible to have multiple hobbies, passions, pursuits while simultaneously working on mind, body and spirit? What a completely odd thing to spew all over a disc golf forum.

Really. I actually play better when I take time off. Playing everyday causes me to get into a rut. Mentally and physically.

I dont play tournaments or doubles anymore. I got tired of all the stupidity. I still play but it has gone from 3 to 4 times a week to once a month. I have taken up differant hobbies now that I enjoy more and can make miney off of. I have a ton of discs I might sell. :)

Latest posts