• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever played an event with smaller/modified baskets?

Chutney

Bogey Member
All Bullseyes, zip-tied chains, or anything like that?

I played a run through of a new course going in nearby that had all of the anchors in but no baskets yet. Each anchor had PVC pipe sticking up about 4 feet. Granted a PVC pipe is a little extreme for a target size, but it was actually really fun and put a lot of pressure on approaches and recovery shots.

I'm thinking about doing something like this for fun at one of our club tournaments. Maybe narrowing the chain width of our baskets with strong zip ties.

Any experience with this? How did players respond?

In Korea we got permission to run a PDGA Sanctioned League with DG Nomad targets. They are authorized for XC tiers. It made putting a little harder, but there were still three aces over the six weeks so not too hard. None of the players had a problem with them.

The baskets here,http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1052# are mighty small. They're only about 2/3 the size of a disCatcher (or comparable basket) with a shallow dish and heavy gauge inners. Believe it or not though, they catch really well. People like them. I've played many tourneys here and if nothing else, the small profile keeps you honest.

Earlewood Park has ancient smaller-than-normal baskets, though not as narrow as bullseyes. Tournaments there fill up. I've also played a pretty good tournament on single-chain Sports, which aren't narrow but require a soft touch to not blow through.

I'd be reluctant to stage a sanctioned event with extremely narrow baskets, but a club tournament (or league play) might be fun. Just avoid making them so narrow that players simply lay up from reasonably short distances.

i have thought about shortening some baskets (raising the tray) for an event but haven't followed through with it.

i have thought about shortening some baskets (raising the tray) for an event but haven't followed through with it.

I've played events where portables were put together wrong and the result was shortened targets like you describe.

Do object tournaments count for this thread? Putting at posts and trees is typically a narrower target than a basket. I've done plenty of those tournaments.

Objects or baskets. I was just curious if people in general didn't feel it was fun putt to a smaller target. I actually like the idea of a smaller, yet very good catching device (either less vertical or less horizontal space), although that opens a whole other can of worms and there's probably other threads that discuss that issue.

I'd like to see a tournament ran with small target baskets to see how they affect game play.

My thoughts are that due to the smaller target, people are going to be playing their upshots more conservatively, which leads me to conclude that such buckets aren't ever going to be more than a novelty.

The tournaments at Ozark Mountain include several bullseyes, not a full course of them but it doesn't seem to affect turnout at all.

I'd like to see a tournament ran with small target baskets to see how they affect game play.

My thoughts are that due to the smaller target, people are going to be playing their upshots more conservatively, which leads me to conclude that such buckets aren't ever going to be more than a novelty.

They would increase the number of putts per round making our scoring more similar to that of ball golf. Is that a good thing? I doubt it. No one thinks the tap in is the most exciting shot in golf.

Latest posts