• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanboys and plastic worship

ScottishDiscman

Birdie Member
Noticing a lot more recently there is a lot of "hate" or "banter" against one brand or another on the various Facebook groups I participate in, most of it is fine but it goes in runs, but it really brings the fanboys to the top of the pile.

Maybe I don't get it but these companies I have bought discs or had them passed to me by folks who didn't wanna throw them as just disc manufacturing companies, they mean very little to me and I would not defend my hill any more than I would defend New Balance as I prefer their shoes to disc golf in.

Whats your thoughts on plastic worship or treating your brand like it is some theological denomination you have to defend the articles of faith of?

(Edit - As you see by my signature, I mainly throw innova, but that is just happenstance, I will try any disc out and give it a fair shout!)

Last edited:
Yea, I don't get it. Currently most of my discs are a single manufacturer, but really it's because those discs have the flight I want. I COULD go find similar discs in other manufacturers, and not be upset.. at all. I'm just too lazy to go spend dosh (and time) hunting 'another XXX disc'.

People identify themselves with the brands they select. It is really weird to me. I can remember when Oakley and Nike logos began appearing on cars. People like being on Team X and they hate Team Y. Branding appeals to tribalism and pre-packaged, quasi self expression. I don't get it, but it is obviously here to stay.

I am an anti-fanboy, but only in my bag. There are 2 different brands that I hate the names so bad, that it messes with my head if I even see one of those discs in my bag....so of course I have had friends slip said brands in my bag just to see my reaction.��

Another thought I had was the "Team ..." players that seem to proselytize like a cult member trying to meet his quota that inform me despite having never seen me play that I need to throw xxxx and I will take 10 strokes off my game when I am a 100lbs heavier than the guy who is trying to get me to throw his disc.

Also "I am sponsored by..." when they have paid money to be in a club are probably the worst at this.

As a Discraft thrower living in Innova country, I get it a lot. Even players with a strong preference to one of the smaller companies, like MVP or Legacy, will still bag some Innova and more often then not jump on the "it's Discrap" bandwagon. They're welcome to preoccupy themselves with what I bag.

As a Discraft thrower living in Innova country, I get it a lot. Even players with a strong preference to one of the smaller companies, like MVP or Legacy, will still bag some Innova and more often then not jump on the "it's Discrap" bandwagon. They're welcome to preoccupy themselves with what I bag.

Odd, because around here, most mvp players have a comet/buzz/squall in their bag.

I have a largely Westside bag right now, beucase they make a lot of discs I like and the stamps are super cool to me. But I also like many discs from many companies. Really just about any company makes a useable lineup. I don't love the Aesthetic of Discraft, but can easily admit that they have a good lineup.

If you want to get wound up about what other people throw then your life is probably pretty good,

I agree with a previous poster. It's some sort of manifestation of tribalism.

With clothing/apparel brand names it's a different form of tribalism. It's more connected to status. It's an expression of socioeconomic status in many cases and for youngsters is often connected to popularity/fitting in.

With the disc golf manufacturers it seems to be a more pure form of tribalism, given the cost and quality perception is sort of even in disc golf. It's just a general attitude of loyalty and belonging. Standard human psychology.

Then there is the individual decision of throwing a single brand without expressing any sort of outward loyalty or proselytizing. I'm not sure what that is. Maybe more of a comfort thing, like me sticking with 5 Innova molds that I've been throwing for 10 years. Or maybe it's a product of capitalistic culture and people are used to being brand loyal.

It feels like we've allowed politicians and news organizations to separate us based on voting issues and things that will grab our attention. The interweb model for getting eyes is headlines that get you going. From there, it seems it has spread into all walks of life. Discs, baby strollers, where you eat, where you live. Can we be any dumber? We're letting rich people tear us limb from limb to make money.

I've only ever had one issue with one manufacturer, and I still like the way their discs fly. Personally, I'm glad to see more entries into the market. Good for the sport.

Odd, because around here, most mvp players have a comet/buzz/squall in their bag.

I think it's just living in SoCal.
An MVP/Discraft mix makes sense if you're keeping it local. I used to have a mix of local Cali companies, but found a few benefits of an all Discraft bag. A very tiny one is hearing an Innova or Trilogy fanboy give that uniformed kneejerk reaction...It's amusing and a good conversation starter. I still always bag one or two Legacy discs, though. Those guys are cool.

I think we're looking at a classic Chicken-Or-Egg scenario.

Consider the change in advertising/marketing strategy to influencer and content marketing. How do you get noticed on social media channels? You rep your sponsors HARDER than others. That has evolved into people who aren't sponsored yet repping brands in hopes of getting sponsored. Similarly, there's plenty of what I refer to as "B-list" pros who fit this mold. They're not hunting the podium regularly at events (maybe once in a while, at a course that suits them) but they're repping that brand harder than they're repping their own game...and manufacturers have responded by pumping them up.

So - which came first? Did the tribalism give rise to the advertising culture, or did the advertising strategy shifts birth more tribalistic interactions between pros and hardcore fans?

Latest posts