• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite 150g disc

I may be able to re-up your 11x 150 gummy teebird...might be getting more ;)

My 2 favorites are my gummy 150 4x JK Valk for some seriously accurate thumbers and my gummy 150 11x Teebird, it is overstable as hell somehow.

I have a 150g Champion Firebird that is currently my thumber of choice which also can be used if I want a slightly straighter finish than my 175g Champ Firebird.

I also have a 145g Hornet (Ace Race disc) that is also as well just a little straighter than the heavier version. Nice thing about this Hornet, despite its light weight it does not get whipped around by the wind.

My 150 Star Valk is like it was sent to me from the Gods. Perfectly straight lines and if you keep it low no fade. But as good as it is I can not say enough good about the 150 Classic Roc. Every noob should have one. They can make any player look like they have been playing for years. It is simply the best disc I have ever owned. I have one in star, but the dx is the best of the plastics to have this disc in.

12x eagle

I have a 150g 12x champion eagle I throw side arm for uphill shots and tight fairway layups. Love it love it love it.

Also have a 150 dx leopard, but it hasn't found it's way into my bag yet.

Occasionally I'll throw my 150 Polaris LS for short straight tee shots.

ive only had a handful of 150's and hardly thrown them but my favorite would probably be a 150 star sidewinder i had a long time ago

For those mentioning 150g Firebirds, how does the flight path of a 150g Firebird thumber differ from that of a ~175g Firebird? I imagine it's easier on the arm, but does it fly much differently?

For those mentioning 150g Firebirds, how does the flight path of a 150g Firebird thumber differ from that of a ~175g Firebird? I imagine it's easier on the arm, but does it fly much differently?

It is easier on the arm for thumbers and has a tad more lateral movement. It might not be more than a placebo effect but I get slightly better results with the 150 versus the 175g. On a normal backhand throw, it is just a matter of a tick less HSS and LSS, again enough to be noticable but not enough to warrant a completely different disc. This way you can easily predict the results.

I have a very trusty 175g Opto Trident I used for thumbers. It is actually a little more accurate but about 5-10 feet shorter (I only throw thumbers for about 270). I do not throw enough thumbers to warrant carrying both in the bag because it does take a toll on your arm if you do not throw this style often enough. A lighter weight should help a little. Although, there is a tournament coming up where I have had better success with the Trident and definitely not so much with the Firebird. Drat, I might have to start carrying both.

ok, all of you are on the weak arm list

I can get 400+ on flat ground with my back hand. That is at least deserving of a participant's ribbon for the middle arm list.

I would love to have a thumber that can get a ton more distance, but it is not within my mechanics or pain threshold to squeeze out more than 270 right now. Besides, I cannot think of any holes in my area that NEED a thumber at a longer distance. Any hole where a thumber COULD get more distance is just as easily shot with a normal back or forehand depending on the line.

champ Loe,its got a long glide [providing no wingade] and fades nice and slow, its usuely my up hill run disc

It is easier on the arm for thumbers and has a tad more lateral movement. It might not be more than a placebo effect but I get slightly better results with the 150 versus the 175g. On a normal backhand throw, it is just a matter of a tick less HSS and LSS, again enough to be noticable but not enough to warrant a completely different disc. This way you can easily predict the results.

I have a very trusty 175g Opto Trident I used for thumbers. It is actually a little more accurate but about 5-10 feet shorter (I only throw thumbers for about 270). I do not throw enough thumbers to warrant carrying both in the bag because it does take a toll on your arm if you do not throw this style often enough. A lighter weight should help a little. Although, there is a tournament coming up where I have had better success with the Trident and definitely not so much with the Firebird. Drat, I might have to start carrying both.

Ok, thanks for the info. I've been learning to throw a thumber as a specialty shot with a 171g Firebird, and just wanted to make sure there's not a way to magically add 50' :)