• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FedEx/US Postal problems

FedEx and USPS have a partnership through FedEx Smartpost. You're going to have a tough time finding any accountability with them on that. Also, since it seems the OP has a custom-made mailbox, it may not be USPS-approved mailbox, which wouldn't make it illegal for people to put other things in there.

You are putting the blame in the wrong place. It isn't the USPS fault...they didn't force FedEx to illegally deliver the package. I believe the reason for the rule is to stop people/businesses from putting flyers in other people's mailboxes - but ultimately, it isn't the USPS fault. I'd have a hard time believing FedEx and UPS don't know it is illegal to use the USPS mailboxes.

Now, with it being Infinite Discs, if it causes them to pull their deliveries from FedEx, that could be a big loss to FedEx. You could follow-up with FedEx and say that you let the merchant know FedEx is illegally delivering packages in USPS mailboxes and the hassle it is causing customers. They might realize they could lose business and make it right with you. But, if you already refused the package, there's nothing for them to reimburse you for.

You're right that the culpability lies chiefly with the driver of the FedEx vehicle.
But, when the US Postal service withholds my property from me because they disagree with what some other entity is doing. When the box is right there at the end of my driveway, and they take it away and withhold it from me to make a point about something that has nothing to do with me.
Honestly, why should I give the next guy the benefit of some magnanimous act, and do what is right for him, when I didn't get it?

I know, unanswerable question. Just feeling a bit philosophical (or whiny) today.

It's a stupid box of discs. A luxury item, nowhere near the top of the needs that I can address in my life.

Last edited:
You're right that the culpability lies chiefly with the driver of the FedEx vehicle.
But, when the US Postal service withholds my property from me because they disagree with what some other entity is doing. When the box is right there at the end of my driveway, and they take it away and withhold it from me to make a point about something that has nothing to do with me.

The USPS isn't withholding your property because they disagree with what the FexEx driver did. By placing the package without a USPS postage stamp in your mailbox, the FedEx driver transferred it into the custody of, along with the responsibility for final delivery, the USPS. Per the US Domestic Mail Manual, USPS is REQUIRED BY LAW to collect postage on delivery for items placed in mailboxes that lack postage:

D041 Customer Mail Receptacles, ¶1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

Sucks for you, but that's 150% on FedEx and 0% on USPS.

FedEx and USPS have a partnership through FedEx Smartpost. You're going to have a tough time finding any accountability with them on that. Also, since it seems the OP has a custom-made mailbox, it may not be USPS-approved mailbox, which wouldn't make it illegal for people to put other things in there.

Very good point. A FedEx smartpost package can be delivered into a USPS mailbox, provided it was put in there by a postal employee. Smartpost packages are not delivered by actual FedEx drivers (unless something changed in the last few years), those packages are all turned over to the Post Office for them to deliver. And if swhite's box is not an approved USPS mailbox, then the blame now lies with the Postal driver that removed the package from the box, he really had no business doing that.

...Also, since it seems the OP has a custom-made mailbox, it may not be USPS-approved mailbox, which wouldn't make it illegal for people to put other things in there.

My mailbox is this model.

61MbozsTfGL._AC_SX355_.jpg

A typical boring looking, but larger dimension box.

I suppose that it is USPS approved, but what do I know? It says, "Approved by the postmaster general" on the front. Haha.

I need to get one that says, "Not FedEx approved. Put YOUR package at the front door". Just in case they need help with this decision.

On this past Tuesday afternoon a FedEx truck delivered a box of discs to my house. Because the delivery person was too lazy to bring the box to my door, they put it in my mailbox. I had already gotten the mail from the mailbox earlier in the day, and so did not know to look for a box in it. On Wednesday, the US Postal delivery truck delivered my mail, and seeing a box in the mailbox, took it and brought it back to the town post office. I then received a card in my mail today saying that I have to pay USPS $16.90 shipping to get my box of discs back.

So, I have $269.40 in discs sitting in the post office because they are having a turf war skirmish with FedEx. And, I am supposed to pay for it.

I already talked with a clerk at the town post office, who told me that he is just a clerk, and thus not authorized to hand me my box without payment. And, I have already gone to the FedEx online claims website, and am getting the runaround with no results yet there. I will next be calling the town postmaster general, or whatever they are called, tomorrow. Apparently, it is under her orders that delivery persons are to take FedEx packages out of mailboxes and charge citizens shipping to get them back.

Any suggestions for me before I talk with my wonderful post master general?

By longstanding law, the other delivery services are not supposed to use mailboxes. That's reserved purely for the USPS. This is why you see newspapers often have their own Newspaper tube holders. It's very well known and nothing new.

Just explain the situation nicely to the local Postmaster, maybe they will give you a break. The USPS is not in the wrong, but the Fedex Driver was wrong was wrong to do so.

If you can't get a break, at least get a receipt and demanded reimbursement from Fedex (though I wouldn't hold my breath).

Last edited:
If you can't get a break, at least get a receipt and demanded reimbursement from Fedex (though I wouldn't hold my breath).

I would think FedEx would settle this type of claim without a fight - either by paying the Post Office's charge or by reimbursing the person for the original FedEx shipping charge.

I would think FedEx would settle this type of claim without a fight - either by paying the Post Office's charge or by reimbursing the person for the original FedEx shipping charge.

Except the OP (apparently) told the postmaster to return it to the seller, which, depending on the vendor's return policy, may have been the worst possible course of action since with most vendors the initial shipping charge is not refundable and AND the customer is responsible for return shipping charges.

Except the OP (apparently) told the postmaster to return it to the seller, which, depending on the vendor's return policy, may have been the worst possible course of action since with most vendors the initial shipping charge is not refundable and AND the customer is responsible for return shipping charges.

I agree that was the worst course of action. 1. you don't get your discs 2. the vendor is on the hook for the shipping

I agree that was the worst course of action. 1. you don't get your discs 2. the vendor is on the hook for the shipping

Again, depends on the vendor's return policy: if the policy states that the customer is responsible for shipping costs and return shipping, they can deduct both—and a restocking fee, if provided for in the return policy—from the refund or credit.

I seem to recall there is some 'weird' law that any box used for USPS mail is actually required to meet USPS regulations (height, location, etc) and to ONLY be used for legal USPS mail. So, USPS has the right to remove any non-USPS items in those boxes. I had an issue where my mailbox leaned (a couple of screws came out) and they left a note that the mailbox no longer met requirements and mail would not be delivered until the issue was fixed. I could pick up my mail at the post office...but for the lack of two screws, my mail wasn't getting delivered.

Bottom line....for me, I would have paid the USPS and then sent a bill to FedEx.

...for me, I would have paid the USPS and then sent a bill to FedEx.

That's fine.

But, what would you do the next time? And all the times after that? There is theoretically no end to this.
Would you always be willing to pay the extra postage, and then seek reimbursement, or might you eventually say, "no more"?

Everyone's situation is different. I didn't need any of the discs. I have enough to last several lifetimes. And, I thought the situation was wrong. I don't mean technically illegal. It appears that the post office can do this. I mean morally unacceptable.

Technically he refused delivery. Which is NOT a return.

Latest posts