• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Field Practice

trice15

Hello guys,

Looking for some tips here on field practice.... Have some money to spend, not sure what to get with it. Was planning on just buying some backups and what not, but I am wanting to get pretty serious this year. Basically, is it beneficial to field practice with your bag, or with a stack of mids/drivers specifically for field practice? I was thinking of picking some up.

Here is my current bag (if this is useful for info)...

Can throw about 300-350 accurately, and 400 on a max throw in a field on a good rip.

Putters:
2 Wedge for putting.
2 XT Nova for upshots.
2 Star Studs for driving, also use them for windy and very long putts.

Midrange:
1 Star Shark
1 Champ Shark 3
1 Star Mako 3
1 Champ Mako 3
1 Champ Panther
1 Star Gator

Fairways and Drivers:
2 Champ Leopard 3
2 Star Teebird
2 Star Thunderbird
2 Champ Firebird
2 Star Valkyrie
2 Star Wraith
2 Star Tern
1 Champ Ape

So would it be best for just throwing my bag for field practice, or would it be better for investing in a stack of discs (mids and drivers, putters, whatever) for field practice? What routines are proven to be best?

I like having multiples of the same disc. My setup is MOSTLY duplicates. Perhaps you can try out different plastic blends and weights. Once you add in different stages of wear, you can cover a wide variety of shots with the same mold.

I'd say if you have some molds that you must throw, try getting a small stack of them for field work. It does look like you have some overlap in your bag though. Inventory your mids and drivers to see which molds will stand the test of time and which ones you could probably do without. Pick the ones you reach for the most often and get some duplicates.

As far as field work goes, I use the local park. I can use obstacles such as trees, empty benches, fences, etc. for mid-range shots but if I want to air out and throw some distance, I'll head to the nearby ball fields. Try different lines and shot variations and you'll see some increased accuracy on the fairways. Good luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress!

When I go for some field practice I always take a stack of the same disc in a similar amount of wear (bought them all at the same time and pretty much just rotate them through my bag monthly). It will depend on what you are working on but if going for distance/constancy I'd suggest getting a few extra of your main driver in the same plastic and weight. That way you can work on slight adjustments and know they will all fly the same.

For form practice, multiples of the same disc or at least very similar is best. I used a 10 stack of putters and 10 stack of Teebirds/Eagles.

I say practice what's in your bag. Throw them all from the same spot. See where they consistently land. You'll learn how your go-to discs usually perform.

I've never bought discs for field work only. I like to use the discs in my bag and separate them into similar categories as best I can and usually end up with about 10 different stacks to throw. For instance I have a meathook distance driver pile, stable distance driver pile, understable and so on and so forth. I do this with with everything from distance drivers all the way down to putters.

Granted I do field work once a week so I'm pretty in touch with how things are currently flying so I like being able to test that particular disc specifically in the field. This might not work for you if you're only doing field work every once in awhile. In that case I would totally by a stack of field work only discs.

As far as routines go I have a few. First thing I like to do is a warm up. I toss my entire bag at moderate power and focus on form. Next I go to two trees set at about 15 feet from one another and use them as a double mandatory to drive through. First bag throwing through the double mandatory I like to concentrate on max distance and the second (or third) go around I like to set my basket off to the right and or left of the mandatory and CTP it.

If I'm still feeling froggy I'll go back out to the main open area of my field, set my basket up and drive from the different wind positions toward my basket.

I hope that helps.

Seems like a good idea would be to get extra backups of some of my core discs, so that I have 5 to 6 of my go to discs, and 3 to 4 of my other discs? This would allow for efficient field work of whats in my bag too.

Probably would pick up a few more mako3, as those seem to be pretty good for telling me how my form is. As well as extra teebirds and maybe my go to distance driver?

Seems like a good idea would be to get extra backups of some of my core discs, so that I have 5 to 6 of my go to discs, and 3 to 4 of my other discs? This would allow for efficient field work of whats in my bag too.

Probably would pick up a few more mako3, as those seem to be pretty good for telling me how my form is. As well as extra teebirds and maybe my go to distance driver?
That is pretty much what I did. Found molds that worked, picked up a few of each. (Rocs, Teebirds/Volts, etc) That way you aren't chasing one disc back and forth if you want to isolate a certain one.

I like to have a couple backups of each disc in my bag. When I do fieldwork, I'll throw my main "in the bag" discs plus one or two of the backups. At least that way I put a little bit of wear on the backups, and I get to know them in case they get called up.

The only time I've ever found it useful to buy a whole stack of discs is with putting/approach practice. You can never have too many Wizards. I used to take a stack of 20 putters and a skillshot to the local park, and just practice 100' and in. Really helped develop my short game.

ALWAYS use the discs that are in your bag for field practice. if you practice with other discs, you will learn how to manipulate those discs. then when you are throwing from your bag in a actual round, your throws are going to be off because they are different discs from what you have been practicing with. its always a good idea to have a backup or two in your bag of the molds you throw the most, and practice with all of them so you know what to depend on for the shot you need in a round.

Thanks for all the help guys! Will invest in some backups of my current discs, so that I have around 5 of my core mid and driver, and a couple extra of some other important ones :)

ALWAYS use the discs that are in your bag for field practice. if you practice with other discs, you will learn how to manipulate those discs. then when you are throwing from your bag in a actual round, your throws are going to be off because they are different discs from what you have been practicing with. its always a good idea to have a backup or two in your bag of the molds you throw the most, and practice with all of them so you know what to depend on for the shot you need in a round.

I kind of disagree with this. It's not wrong, persay, but it's not completely accurate. If I practice with some of my more beat in Wraiths, that doesn't mean I'm going to pick up every Wraith in my field bag and throw it the same. I have about 16 star Wraiths, and can separate them in 1 of 5 slots I like to carry, 1 being flippy, 5 being overstable. I think it's important to have many of each slot if you're trying to minimize and simplify your molds in your bag. If I lose my flippy (1 slot) disc, I know I've got a back up. If you're using numerous molds for each line or possibility, I can see that being different for someone, you wouldn't want to try to throw a long turn over to flat shot with a monster.

I love having a bag of discs for field work. My bag is pretty simple. I carry wraiths, thunderbirds, firebirds, teebirds, and leopard3's for my distance and fairway slots. My mid game is a big more finicky so I don't own many back ups of my mids. I have at least 2 backups of my moab and mortar, and I'm down to my last Glow Mako, finding them the way I like is getting harder, soft but minimal dome.

If you're still in the discovery phase for building your bag than the more discs the merrier for field work, but otherwise take your bag and empty it a few times while throwing each disc how you would throw it in a real situation. (Anny discs, hyzer, etc, etc) After that I do detailed work on each section of my bag. I also try to to do field work with a heavily wooded area near by so I can work on difficult approach shots. (tunnel, low ceiling, s-curves, etc)