• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firefly

They had to get 500 released in order for Nate to be able to bag it for Las Vegas.

What odd is that Discraft players were throwing the Kong... There have been 0 released to the public. How do they get away with this?

What odd is that Discraft players were throwing the Kong... There have been 0 released to the public. How do they get away with this?

giphy.gif

Quoting someone from another thread who was cool enough to do the legwork

I actually emailed the PDGA about the raptor and kong and the legality of them being used. I got a phonecall back but was at work and it was someone from the pdga that wanted to talk to me about it but left a nice voicemail. He said that they were going to send a letter to the manufactures because they weren't following all of the guidelines, but also admitted that some of the guidelines are a little hard to meet. He said it is unrealistic for 500 to already be out in the stores before the disc is even PDGA approved. It sounded to me like the guy was saying that they were probably going to change some of the wording or how it works in the future, but also did not sound thrilled with the current situation with the Kong and Raptor. Disclaimer - I could have misinterpreted what he was saying and nothing I said was an exact quote from the PDGA, it was just what I got out of his message.

Reminds me of when I was in the Army, and my battalion commander would say that "Regulations are merely guidelines for the commander to consider." I had to tell him on several occasions that not considering (i.e. adhering to) some of those 'guidelines' would put him and me both in jail...

As to the Discraft/Kong issue... we'll see what happens....

In the 3d round LVC video, Nate Sexton said the Firefly was "grippy and durable". I'm still wondering if it's I-blend or something else new.

I am guessing there will be a wrist slap.

One of the Lat64/Dynamic players had a video throwing a pre release disc that he said he could not bag until April, but would be putting it in the bag upon the minimum # release. Odd that Discraft chose to ignore the rule.

I thought that the 500 rule only applied to worlds or the championship or something along those lines.

so serious question regarding the Firefly

Is it a KC Pro Aviar without a bead?

If I imagine my KC Pros without a bead the shape does not remind me of the Aviar (caveat I only have Classic Aviars) but my recollection of the nose profile of the Firefly makes me think beadles KC Pro

I'm sure I'm about to be schooled on a beadles KC Pro Aviar being a "_____________"

I'm intrigued by the Firefly. I think I'm perhaps more intrigued by the Nexus plastic.

I find it strange that I can never find these on the proshop...not that I'm inclined to spend that much on a putter*

* casually hides his stack of Cam Todd Challengers

The KC pro aviar is the aviar-x mold. Which is an aviar PNA with a spacer and a bead. The discmania p2 is an aviar-x without the bead. So if the firefly is a beadless aviar-x then it would be exactly the same as the P2. I've even some people say that nexus plastic is the same as d-line.

By that logic, Nexus = DX. People will say the silliest things.

Well people also say classic aviar is DX but a different blend of DX then all other DX. I've also heard that d-line is a slightly altered blend of DX similar to classic aviar DX. Would you be all that surprised if Innova released this "new mold" in a "new plastic". When in reality they are just slapping a new name on an existing blend and mold for marketing purposes?

I got to feel one up a couple days ago. I thought the plastic felt like a grippier version of DX. It felt like there was some rubber material mixed in, but definitely not floppy like R-pro can be. Reminds me of some variations of SS plastic from Gateway.

I've only held a P2 a couple of times, but from my memory, I would say the firefly is a flat-topped P2. It had a nice low profile but a very similar nose to a P2.

I got to feel one up a couple days ago. I thought the plastic felt like a grippier version of DX. It felt like there was some rubber material mixed in, but definitely not floppy like R-pro can be. Reminds me of some variations of SS plastic from Gateway.

I've only held a P2 a couple of times, but from my memory, I would say the firefly is a flat-topped P2. It had a nice low profile but a very similar nose to a P2.

Sounds like an aviar-x 3. If it is actually a beadless aviar-x with the 3 top that would be sweet.

Just opened my package. They look very similar to the P2. I have a Dline and they are a lot grippier but still stiff. Threw a few outs and they r very straight from around 25 ft. I would throw they but we have storms with 30 mph gusts.