• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firefly

I went through 4-5 roc3 in 1 season when they came out. One of them went taco after the very first tree hit, about 170 feet away. Too fragile for me. I'm finding better success with p line md2. Found a couple with a lot of star plastic mixed in and they have broken in well, and stayed in the sweet spot for going on 2 years

Roc3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ha I know right? That 3 def changes the dx plastics

I think it has been remarked on before, but molds are generally designed for a certain type of plastic. The 3 top mold piece was designed for champ. DX shrinks a lot more than champ during cooling. It wouldn't surprise me if they warped more easily because the flight plate was a bit thinner than regular DX Rocs which sacrifices some structural integrity. All the DX Roc3's I've handled were super flat with no discernible shoulder at all. The flight plate seemed a lot more tautly stretched to me which could also lead to easier warping.

I'm not saying a DX Roc can't warp, but I've blasted some trees pretty hard before and the only time I've ever warped one was when it was like 40 feet off the tee. 170 feet would provide a lot of time for a mid's flight to slow down so I wouldn't expect warping at that distance with a regular DX Roc.

To be fair my super old DX Roc is a DX Glo with the mini swoosh stamp.

Something about that plastic makes them durable.

I think it has been remarked on before, but molds are generally designed for a certain type of plastic. The 3 top mold piece was designed for champ. DX shrinks a lot more than champ during cooling. It wouldn't surprise me if they warped more easily because the flight plate was a bit thinner than regular DX Rocs which sacrifices some structural integrity. All the DX Roc3's I've handled were super flat with no discernible shoulder at all. The flight plate seemed a lot more tautly stretched to me which could also lead to easier warping.

I'm not saying a DX Roc can't warp, but I've blasted some trees pretty hard before and the only time I've ever warped one was when it was like 40 feet off the tee. 170 feet would provide a lot of time for a mid's flight to slow down so I wouldn't expect warping at that distance with a regular DX Roc.

This is a big part of why I keep distancing myself from molds that have way too much crazy variation. Innova is just about removed from my bag.

Sexton tour series firefly in stock on proshop, really wanna try them but can't justify the cost for something I'm not sure I will like

When I first started getting into DX Rocs, the current runs were the "waxy" stuff that everyone loves to hate on. Honestly even that DX didn't beat in as fast people liked to say. It felt a little weird, but I had some great Rocs from that generation that stayed in my bag a year or more. For $7, a year's worth of use is a bargain. I don't think I've ever even beat a DX Roc into the point that it wasn't usable in some slot; they tend to get lost before that happens.

Yeah those would warp fairly easily but like you say, they would still fly alright and do in a pinch if you were beating in a KC Pro for fresh DX Rancho stuff.

I always liked the bottom stamped Rocs the best. Something about the stamp I guess kept them from being too flat and clovering much. :\

When I said old, I just meant they had been in my bag for a long time without beating into unusability. I've used a lot of DX Rocs from many generations of DX plastic. The current DX doesn't suck at all. And I don't think I've ever even owned any of the DX from 10+ years ago that a lot of people like to reminisce about.

When I first started getting into DX Rocs, the current runs were the "waxy" stuff that everyone loves to hate on. Honestly even that DX didn't beat in as fast people liked to say. It felt a little weird, but I had some great Rocs from that generation that stayed in my bag a year or more. For $7, a year's worth of use is a bargain. I don't think I've ever even beat a DX Roc into the point that it wasn't usable in some slot; they tend to get lost before that happens.

Only discs that the DX was ever not Amazing or even good in was the DX Dragon (usable) and old Pre R-Pro ~170 gram Hydra, (decent). Dad has the old DX Hydra I have used a few times. The problem with that float on water style DX is the plastic was not as durable as all the other DX plastic and was more rubbery even in the old DX Hydra. The old runs up to the mid 2000's was the best with the float on water DX, after about 2009 that DX became more Waxy at the time R-Pro was coming out as I got a new DX Dragon at the time and disc had to be sitting in water for about 5 minutes to remove the wax or minimize how heavy it was on. The new DX Dragon I got in 2018 had a heavy kids crayon type of feel to it originally, was only lost/minimized while I waited 7-10 minutes to have disc float to me on a lake, and now the Disc feels like R-DX as if they used the technique used to make R-Pro but to DX plastic.

Yeah the one DX Stingray I got was in 2014 or 2015 and it was probably the waxy more stiff run you mention but not like water DX, this was more just a let the disc sit because I noticed over time the disc has gotten a bit stiffer to more the old run of DX of discs.

Literally any other company - I think Innova is THE WORST for baseline - which is odd since they are the leaders in most other areas - but Trilogy has great baseline with 3 firmness choices, same with MVP and Prodigy being good as well. Discraft kinda sucks but theyre trying - Innova has been the worst without a doubt - their putters are slippery, warp, don't have good grip, break in the cold, slip out of chains - the only thing is when they are worn in nicely they are good for weather 55-75 degrees. and that's it. Too cold, they suck, too hot? they suck

Innova Baseline SUCKS! - Fight me!!! :p:p

Psssst! *whispers* Hey... You know baseline is supposed to suck so you'll buy premium, right?

Sexton tour series firefly in stock on proshop, really wanna try them but can't justify the cost for something I'm not sure I will like

I really like that stamp. Why does Innova have to make such giant tour series stamps, when a clean, crisp stamp will do fine, and a smaller stamp is more efficient, and I suspect would lead to fewer F2s. I'm tempted to grab a few when they come back in stock and hang onto them. I might grab an extra and see if it is Innova's answer to JB. I wonder if Jerm and others will be using it as well.

No that's not the purpose at all - baseline is important - especially putting (I know you know this)
:doh::p

I do know this, I'm just joking.

Although I only have one baseline putter and if it was available in anything besides DX I'd stock up in a heartbeat.

I do know this, I'm just joking.

Although I only have one baseline putter and if it was available in anything besides DX I'd stock up in a heartbeat.

haha I figured. It's all good - we just have to wait for this stuff - it stinks when there is an announcement of a new disc but then we don't have really ANY info and so we gotta speculate and BS for weeks before we know anything useful haha

Classic Aviar?

Nah I actually have a classic aviar in gummy star.

The putter I was talking about is my birdie, which is a killer small-space shape disc. If I could get it in any of the pro plastics I'd be smitten.