• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firefly

Used a Firefly for a 1-disc putter round this morning. Here's what I experienced today:

Driving: BH and FH will flip up a little on hyzer or drift a little right on a flattish release. Can get laser straight flights with a touch of hyzer.

Approaches: Touch shots will hold the angle. Really like it for ~200 foot anhyzer approaches that land flat if angle/height is right.

Putting: basically a P2.

It had rained and the ground was wet. No grip issues with the Nexus plastic. Really like the plastic.

I love this disc - the fact that it's a bit shallower than the P2 makes all the difference for me. Anybody know if Innova is planning to make a premium plastic version? I'd love to see champ for shots off the tee.

I love this disc - the fact that it's a bit shallower than the P2 makes all the difference for me. Anybody know if Innova is planning to make a premium plastic version? I'd love to see champ for shots off the tee.

That would be awesome if they did. I don't throw my Fireflies because I don't want to gash up my putting putter.

A lot of people say that it's basically a P2, but I disagree. It's obviously very similar, but more shallow and has less glide inside the circle. I prefer it for my push putting style. Still bag a D-line P2 for approaches and long putts (for the extra glide).

That would be awesome if they did. I don't throw my Fireflies because I don't want to gash up my putting putter.

A lot of people say that it's basically a P2, but I disagree. It's obviously very similar, but more shallow and has less glide inside the circle. I prefer it for my push putting style. Still bag a D-line P2 for approaches and long putts (for the extra glide).

Ha, I'm doing the exact same thing. I'd love to replace the D-Line P2 with a champ Firefly for approach duty. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Since Sexton has been more selective/cutting back on how many events he plays, the tour support fund from Sexton Firebirds has been enough. As a result, no Fireflies this year.

I made that up. I think there was a video somewhere where he said that there will be 2020 Fireflies, so hopefully that is still the case.

Anyone else catch Barsby throwing an orange Firefly for his backhand approaches at Ledgestone? They fly great, like a slightly straighter P2, but I just can't risk throwing the few that I have until I can get some backups. The Sky God 3, being slightly concave, feels to me like a premium Firefly, so that's been my workhorse.

Anyone else catch Barsby throwing an orange Firefly for his backhand approaches at Ledgestone? They fly great, like a slightly straighter P2, but I just can't risk throwing the few that I have until I can get some backups. The Sky God 3, being slightly concave, feels to me like a premium Firefly, so that's been my workhorse.

Also saw him with that orange Firefly in some skins match video. When the Firefly first released I got a pair to try out, then liked them so much I got a stack of them in case future runs are different. I'm still throwing one of the first ones as it has held up well. Agree with the great flight, and the grip and shape are very good as well. It is like a mashup of various putters that I like.

Nope.

I wonder if it was a one time thing originally made get a single top level sponsored player off using a similar putter disc from Discmania molded by Innova?

Last edited:
I was sure these would be a big hit. Copy of the best selling putter the last few years, great name, sponsoring arguably the most popular pro out there. I guess between Nate not being on tour and on commentary to sell it and availability issues it just hasn't had a chance to take off.

I guess between Nate not being on tour and on commentary to sell it and availability issues it just hasn't had a chance to take off.

I agree - Nate was quickly forgotten by many, proclaiming Big Beri was better, etc. Jomez made the "why are trees" collector box available days ago, only 300, and it still hasn't sold out (compare to Sky Rider, Cloud Breaker, etc.) I gotta say, the price was gross($250), and had it been half that, it might have made a difference.

I was sure these would be a big hit. Copy of the best selling putter the last few years, great name, sponsoring arguably the most popular pro out there. I guess between Nate not being on tour and on commentary to sell it and availability issues it just hasn't had a chance to take off.

Why buy the copy when you can the putter it was based off of for a fraction of the price?

I had read somewhere about a swirly glow version for this year

Yea, Nate shared a teaser of them on his instagram story. I kind of thought we'd have seen them in time for Halloween what with the popularity of devils night glow rounds. Not that they won't instantly sell out no matter when they're released.

These were on my short list of discs I wanted to try, but I've given up.

...especially now that my alternate choice of the P2 is available.

I was really interested when the Firefly was first announced (like the P2, plus a chance to support Nate Sexton? You've got my vote, Innova!). But it took FOREVER between the time it was announced (February 2019?) and when it went on sale (summer?). I think Innova really did a disservice by hyping a disc way too far in advance of being able to actually, you know, BUY one.

I moved on to buying 4 or 5 Rekos in 2019, and them to 4 Prodigy PMS's about a month ago. Truthfully, Firefly never entered my mind either time. I felt a little burned by Innova, and not that interested in the disc.

That's my story. Sticking to it. But, probably changing putters in 2021 (!).