• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flat firebird clones?

Yeah, After mentioning that I had struck out on my weights and plastic types in five different molds. Firebird, Beast, Orc, Krait or Tee Devil, I walked out with a Pinnacle Cannon instead of Icon because Icon was gone. I discussed it with the owner and he mentioned how vendors ask him to order at least 35 discs at a time. I get it, hard for a shop that small to cater to customers. I will stop by mando's in Auburn when I am up that way next time.

Olympic discs will have what you need also.

Call up the guys at gottagogottathrow.com and they will hook you up with some pancake flat firebirds as well as a brand new a-frame grip. I was just in there shop the other day and they both of them in stock.

Playing thread necromancer here:

I have been spoiled on my FAF 12x FB, and lately I've been concerned I'm going to lose it, considering it unfortunately is a nice "leaves in the sun" greenish-yellow translucent.

I stopped by Disc Golf Depot a few weeks ago to see if I could scare up something to replace it. I compared XXXs, Felons, current run Firebirds, maybe a few more things, and ended up with a flat Felon which I have decided to bag as something a little more workable. However, I could find nothing as flat and with as high a PLH as my currently bagged FAF FB.

Is there anything out there in production that rivals the 12x FAF FBs in terms of flatness and sheer utility overstability in a typical production run available online? I'm looking for something with a rim no wider than a firebird, as I find 1.9ish mm to be about at the maximum for a comfy thumber grip.

^While Felons are very flat and feel like that FAF Firebird, they certainly don't fly like it. I feel they are in between a normal shaped Firebird and Thunderbird. I love the disc but it's definitely not a bookend OS or utility OS disc if you have reasonable power. The only XXX I've thrown was as beefy as a FAF Firebird. When discs get that OS I can't truly compare which is more/less OS since I don't throw overhands, but it's definitely in that ballpark. The XXX is what I'd look to in your case.

If you can venture the .1 to 20mm I love my MVP motion for this kind of shot. Super slow turn OH's and super beefy for regular shots. Also always comes flat and OS no matter what weights, run or color.

I'm happy with the Machete (threw the Felon for awhile to similar effect), but if I did go more OS it would be the
Flick or a Legacy Fighter.

Resistors are always made flat AFAIK. They're a tick slower, but from my direct experience just as stupid overstable as a Firebird. Just as a test I threw mine into a 22 mph headwind this summer, and it didn't even think about turning.

Moonshine Spark is pretty darn close. XXX is a bit slower. Felon is not overstable enough. I still love my Firebird though and don't plan on switching (and getting flat ones isn't that hard).

Moonshine Spark is pretty darn close. XXX is a bit slower. Felon is not overstable enough. I still love my Firebird though and don't plan on switching (and getting flat ones isn't that hard).

Don't get my head spinning, are you saying the xxx is slower than the spark?

I got one five years old xxx and it's insanely OS, bought a Decodye Spark and its really close. With my 340' arm they practically don't know forward, just different degrees of fade.

Never seen one personally but the Moab might fit the bill here. I think it has a 1.8 rim so a little narrower than a FB but it's some sort of Tachyon/Viper iteration so it has a wider diameter. It looks like a total beef stick though.

Yeah the Moab (or a factory store Viper) is stupid OS. I mean it is slower then the Firebird but it also has more glide.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Beef wise they are close, but the flight type isn't the same line.

The closest are these;

Spirit- but it's faster, possibly more Os
Motion- again faster and a tick less Os
Rask- faster and weird double rim thing
Opto XXx- slower
VIP Ahti- maybe not quite as OS, but the flight shapes are very close.
Fireball- the flight shape is slightly different and it probably faster. But you can use it here if you like straight to dump lines instead of the long curving lines of the Motion.

Don't get my head spinning, are you saying the xxx is slower than the spark?

I got one five years old xxx and it's insanely OS, bought a Decodye Spark and its really close. With my 340' arm they practically don't know forward, just different degrees of fade.

I found the XXX to be slower than a Spark. I consider the XXX more of a fast midrange (kinda like the Trident) while the Spark is much more of a true fairway driver in flight.

I guess, but I've thrown XXX and Tridents almost 400. That's a pretty long midrange.

Felon is the dd firebird. more forgiving but not as long.

FD3. Same bottom damn near the same disc but with a discmania tweaking of the old firebird mold.

I cycle both depending on what I want to do.

Felon is the dd firebird. more forgiving but not as long.

FD3. Same bottom damn near the same disc but with a discmania tweaking of the old firebird mold.

I cycle both depending on what I want to do.

The Felon is shorter for you than a Firebird? I found the Felon to glide out more like a Predator.

I guess, but I've thrown XXX and Tridents almost 400. That's a pretty long midrange.

on what, a downhill where you threw a super oat-y anny FH? or the same downhill with a FH roller? or the same downhill with an awesome tommy?

I would say a Glow Z Flick (mine are flat as a pool table) also MVP Resistor is really flat and nice

Just from my experience those 2 come to mind. Flick is more like speed 10-11 and Resistor is like a speed 6 . I have never used a XXX but I think those are solid

Latest posts