• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flex shots and glide

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Well, it took me 10 years of playing to finally learn to appreciate a flex shot off the tee. But wow. Now that I have, I'm itching to learn more. But here's my question. And for all intents and purposes, let's say the throwing conditions are calm with no wind. But in your opinions, what does the glidiness of a particular driver have on a flex drive? For example, a Monster thrown on a flex compared to an overstable disc with more glide like a Giant throw the same way. Will the glide cause more initial turn, longer fades, etc? And which do you guys prefer? More glide or less glide? Thanks in advance.

I dunno about glide but from just an accuracy standpoint I prefer something with good HSS and LSS just for consistency. Nothing ruins a flex shot like a disc that decides to track right forever or burn into the ground into an embarrassing roller.

More glide = more turn most of the time. Matching speed , glide, turn and fade to your arm is what it's all about with every type of shot and disc selection. A slow gliding flex that sits down flat is more of a anny or turn over. A disc with = turn and fade, thrown flat at proper speed, should give the old "s" flight but sensitive . An over stable thrown anny is the "flex" and more over stable = less glide......but, over stable is going to flex out every time. How hard and/or steep you throw determines how early or late it flexes. Besides possibly extending the distance of a given disc by tricking it into staying in the air a little longer, it's a great way to find your way through the trees. I prefer massively over stable , just cause I want to be sure it's gonna "flex". though , it may not always have the range I am looking for.

I throw a lot of Apes off the tee and for max D in a wide open field I've thrown them on a flex line as far as 500 ft, though it's usually 425 or just over. It doesn't have much glide, and I've also bagged a giant for this, which is pretty glidy and I can throw it further on average getting another 20 ft or so, but the added glide over the course of the flight can make the fade less predictable. I would often end up 50ft right(RHFH flex shot) of where I wanted to be.

So on target made it often closer to where I need to be rather than wide and 20 ft forward.

Stiletto with no glide at all is actually my most accurate flex disc over long distances but I can't throw it much over 400. Though I do bag one for extreme lines and windy days.

I'm also interested in this since I've been trying to learn flex shots and long anhyzers a bit better. Before I was losing some distance compared to my straight shots.

So far I'm seeing stable discs (little turn, little fade) I can get close to the same as a straight line distance in a sweeping anhyzer that lands nearly flat, but way right. Discs that are a little less stable keep cutting right/turning and I can't keep them in the air long enough so I lose distance.

Moderately overstable discs (straight to fade flights on flat throws) pan out and give me the same or slightly greater distance compared to my straight line distance, and pan out to fade forward or slightly left. So far I find this the hardest because if I don't throw it hard enough or nose down enough there will be an early fade/stall, and if I put too much anny on it they will just go into the ground without holding themselves up to a glidey flight.

Super overstable like a Firebird I find flexes aggressively...works good for line shaping/consistency and I get more distance than with my straight throws, but they feel like I am just "cheating" the disc's characteristics rather than getting it to hold up in the air for way longer than it normally would, like with stable or moderately overstable discs. I don't have anything this OS faster than a Firebird so I can't compare the glide/less glidey thing like you are asking, since I think a Firebird is more OS/less glide than my XCal.

Last edited:
I like throwing anny flexes, I find I get more power throwing anhyzers which is probably an indicator of a form issue.. but I use anny releases on a lot of my drives especially for distance. on average I will throw my anny flex further than any flip up shot. I throw destroyers, for my anny flexes ill throw a new flat one or a slightly used pd2 topped one. and for flip ups ill throw a two year old star or a new pro destroyer. but I never throw my destroyers that will turn at all on an anhyzer, they like to cut roll like that

Will the glide cause more initial turn, longer fades, etc?

To me, glide is unrelated to stability (turn & fade). I've got discs that have huge glide with zero turn or fade and some with no turn and huge fade.

I think it is common though to see domey glidey discs that have big high speed turn like a mamba because it's relatively easy for smaller armed players to squeeze out some longer drives with slower releases.

Glide is a great for pure distance and makes ranging in distance harder. I have been noticing has much easier it is to be accurate with less glide.

Pure distance, I think it's about finding a disc that's able to ride the balance between stability as long into the flight as possible.

You should watch me throw flex shots with my Flicks vs other stuff. Especially my super-flippy Flick. It really gives an easy answer here:

Low glide means it will fight out of anhyzer quickly. High glide means it will fight out of the anny slowly.

You should watch me throw flex shots with my Flicks vs other stuff. Especially my super-flippy Flick. It really gives an easy answer here:

Low glide means it will fight out of anhyzer quickly. High glide means it will fight out of the anny slowly.

I just don't think glide has anything to do with it... I have a high glide scythe that breaks that logic statement. Stability is the marker for turn and fade which are the keys for fighting out of anny slowly/quickly.

Latest posts