• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

Giving a 5 to your own course or design is in my opinion a no no. Kind of like giving yourself a nickname. If you deserve one, one will usually be given to you by your friends/peers.

I agree. Paulie Roth did it for Phantom Falls and Bucksnort, and it rubbed me the wrong way there too. But certain people seem to feel the need to pat themselves on the back I guess...

It is a quite good course. About a 3.75ish right now though, even with tee signs, 15 more short pads, and lots more clearing of shule to still be done.

Serious 4.5 potential out there.

Giving a 5 to your own course or design is in my opinion a no no. Kind of like giving yourself a nickname. If you deserve one, one will usually be given to you by your friends/peers.

The tricky thing is, the designer may know the course better than anyone. In the early days of the course, when there are few reviews, he may want to pass along this information to potential players. I'd rather have that perspective, than not have it.

And you can't review a course without giving it a rating. A designer may honestly feel that his course deserves a high rating; after all, he has an idea what kind of course he believes is best and, if he had a free hand in design and installation, and good property, this one probably meets his definition. A similar course, designed by someone else, would also.

I was in this position myself, in the early days of this site when reviews were fairly rare and it seemed like no one would ever review a course I co-designed. So I gave it a 4.5 and wrote a few words about it. Today, that rating has virtually no effect on the course rating, and you'd have to be crazy to read through enough reviews to get to what I said.

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me. In time and with sufficient number of reviews, this one will be averaged in the ratings and buried in the list of reviews.

This is the PK thread, after all, and the big difference is that PK has had a legion of people deliberately trying to inflate the ratings. Any one review wouldn't cause much consternation.

DavidSauls makes good points. As long as the reviewer is open and honest about the fact that he/she also designed the course, I see no problem.

DavidSauls makes good points. As long as the reviewer is open and honest about the fact that he/she also designed the course, I see no problem.

There's the Fast Eddie part - instead of having others drive by to give it 5 stars - he does it himself WITHOUT saying he's the designer (except for the part of the review saying it was well designed -so we know it's him ;) )

David had it right in his first post before backtracking in his second one. :eek:

Hell I even gave my Design less than 5 and it has legit 5's from players around the US and trusted reviewers....:D

Same here, though in my case it was because there were a few courses I liked better. Pride only takes you so far.

In tournament condition I might give my course a 5 but I also might not.

If it is not then I'm pretty sure I have never played one. Gran Canyon 2013 maybe.

I guess it just depends on the person. Thankfully we are not all the same. We don't say or think the same things. I guess as long as your course is that good, no big deal. I just would abstain from giving my own course or design job a 5 and let others reviews and ratings speak for themselves. There are enough members of this site so that in the end, it would be fairly judged by the many existing road trippers and trusted reviewers.

Same here, though in my case it was because there were a few courses I liked better. Pride only takes you so far.

Hell I even gave my Design less than 5 and it has legit 5's from players around the US and trusted reviewers....:D

And in both of your cases I have no issues with you reviewing your courses, as you allowed others to call it "perfect". I don't like Paulie's tactic of hyping his own course. I agree with whoever said the designer knows the course best, but that means flaws too. Maybe I'm different, but even when I do my very best work on a project I usually find minor flaws later even if no one else notices them. I'd have a really hard time calling anything I've ever built or done PERFECT.

I guess it just depends on the person. Thankfully we are not all the same. We don't say or think the same things. I guess as long as your course is that good, no big deal. I just would abstain from giving my own course or design job a 5 and let others reviews and ratings speak for themselves. There are enough members of this site so that in the end, it would be fairly judged by the many existing road trippers and trusted reviewers.

Exactly.....my only point in my first post - not to try to turn a 3-3.5 course from 2 reviews into a 4 by self hyping your own design with a 5.

I was playing with the new filtering button on course pages and decided to test it out on PK.

Filtering to only included reviewers with 2+ reviews, the course's rating goes from 3.74 rating/57 reviews to 3.07 reviews/35 reviews. Doing quick math, that means the other 22 reviews have an average rating of 4.80 (4.79545).

According to those 22 drive-bys, Pendleton King Park is the 5th highest course on this site. Unreal!

It would be worse, but a number of them have been deleted.

PK's rating inflation is truly off the scale. Almost always, when people decry homerism in a course's ratings, a closer look reveals a relatively insignificant effect. But because of PK, I always have to take that closer look before dismissing the criticism.

Luckily for DGCR Sloppydisc is still here and on the job. Had the chance to stop in Augusta and play Pendleton King today. Heck, I even took some notes and did a review. Not that there is much to say about it. It is a pretty typical short course crammed into a city park. All those high reviews are crack smoking wastes of oxygen.

PK is over-rated. No one should go there anymore. Defenitly don't go there September 20 - 23 as that is when I will be there again. I have go there once a year on my way up to NC just to make sure it is still overrated and nothing special. Just need to make sure it is still to easy even after playing IDGC & Hippo. Pretend it is not in my favorites.

By the way if you cant tell I am being sarcastic :|

... aaaand on the other end of the spectrum from drive-by 5 disc reviews:

4pMutgc.jpg

link to the review (while it lasts): http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3345&mode=rev#63276

Last edited: