• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

footwear, socks & dirt

Shadwrack

I need waterproof dg shoes. what are you wearing and what would you suggest? I've purchased a few pairs in the past and been burnt by false advertising. They were supposed to be waterproof but they were not. I really like Merrils but I've had two pairs fall apart on me. Does it matter whether or not it says weatherproof/goretex on the shoe itself?

regarding Socks: what's up with these long weird socks guys are wearing these days? are they wearing them for style points or do they help keep the dirt, bugs and grass off your skin?

Gore-Tex trail running shoes are the shiznit for DG. I prefer Nike, as their 11 fits my foot perfectly. Air Pegasus+ 25 GTX & Air Structure Triax+ 11 GTX are my current gotos. Breathable & waterproof. A wise investment, IMHO.

Tall sox guard against poisonous plants & ticks, but I prefer minicrew Smartwools. Tall Goretex Seal Skinz if there is an extreme downpour.

Last edited:
Footies and $10 starter sneakers for me = no remorse no matter how filthy or wet I get. Sandals in the car to change into when done.

Do your self a favor and get a good pair of merrells (http://www.zappos.com/merrell-moab-gore-tex-reg-xcr-reg-dark-tan) is what i have and i use them year round. Although a bit cold in the winter they always keep my feet dry...

I dropped 110$ on mine and i have to say they are worth EVERY penny:thmbup:

you have to get something gortex IMO to keep real dry

and i suggest trying em on at dicks or modells and then ordering from zappos, youll save your self a few bucks

GoreTex makes a big difference if you actually want them to be waterproof. I wear New Balance high-top hiking boots with a GoreTex lining (I need the ankle support of the high-tops on the rough, uneven terrain of most local courses). They're surprisingly lightweight, and while some people complain that the GoreTex lining makes the inside too hot, I think I'm fairly sensitive to that and have no complaints about mine. The tongue is fully attached to the upper of the boot, so there's no gap for rocks and debris to get in -- makes a difference on my local course, since there's wood-chip mulch along many of the fairways and around the baskets. I've been in running water nearly up to the top of the boot, and played five hours in driving wind and torrential rain, and my feet have always stayed dry.

I liked 'em so much that when the NB web store had them on clearance several months ago, I bought another pair so that I'd be sure to have another when these go, even though they're still in great shape after over a year.

Tevas

Just started wearing these Tevas a few weeks ago. Good grip, waterproof, and sticker resistant.

attachment.php

I wear tall socks for several reasons:

they keep my legs out of the sun and bugs and plants...but they're not sweaty and hot.

They feel great on my feet and calves

I get cut up less.

no material hanging from my leg to get caught on stuff.

Sweet red socks!

they breath really well and keep your feet a perfect temperature.

\/\/

I love the electric blue color, but how do you get your big toe between the curlicue & the dot? :confused:

Am I missing something? What curlicue and what dot? :confused:

(and they are actually dark gray, the blue is glare from outside)

Must have done something wrong. Attach image take 2.

Attachments

• 2010-06-22 11.11.56.jpg
    2010-06-22 11.11.56.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 34
I wear beaten up old trail running shoes and short black socks... Neither of these things are waterproof. This information is unlikely to assist you in any way, but I thought I should share.

I agree that the long socks are for protection, as well as making dudes legs look super svelte...

Why are you getting your feet wet during your rounds? Do you want sandal type shoes that the water will pass through but the shoe is "designed" to withstand water, or do you want to truly keep everything inside dry? Maybe wear plastic bags on your feet? Comfy and cheap, but not eco-friendly.

I just picked up a pair of these a few days ago, Merrell Moab Mid Gore-Tex XCR.

So far, I love how comfy they are, how grippy and strong the sole feels, and the Gore-Tex should be quite nice for the wetter days. Hopefully they hold up to my frenetic pace of playing DG...time will tell.

MRL-W87311-12-07.psd.fpx

Personally, I prefer the lighter weight & lower temperature of lo-tops, but I think you'll be quite happy with those.

Yeah, I usually feel the same way... These seem to be pretty darn light for mid-tops, and extremely breathable. It was pretty much the only pair of mid-tops I liked at all. With the low-tops I had been wearing, I was getting tired of having my ankles scratched up by stumps and sharp twigs, so I went with mids. I just hope they end up being reasonably durable.

I prefer merrels but I suggest finding a shoe that fits your foot best. Goretex is a lining that has super small pours so no water can get in (or out). Goretex is great for cold morning or night rounds as well as rain.

Guys are wearing those socks so that you will think they're really good and won't ask em to play skins;)
I wear the crew smartwools. "go find your own crappy throw";)

Juanbond, merrel has had that style for years now, so I wouldn't imagine any durability issues.

Best dg shoe merrel made- the side step. Sadly not available anymore:(

From personal experience go with Keens over Merrells. I've had several pairs of Merrells and liked them but they've always fallen apart quickly or had issues. I've had the air pockets in the soles pop on 2 pairs and the toe plastic inside the shoe crack and make clicking noises every time I took a step. The Keens I've had have never had issues, are always super comfortable, and their waterproof line, Keendry, is just as protective as GoreTex. Right now I have the Shellrocks wich are the best disc shoes I can imagine! They have super thick toe bumpers, great grip, are waterproof, and look awesome. Plus you can get them on closeout for about 70 bucks :thmbup:

I have the Keen Shellrocks from 2007, picked them up on clearance for $35. I really like the shoe, would have bought 2 pair if they had anymore. You do need to go 1/2 a size up on these shoes though. Other than that they are holding together very well, love the thick toe bumpers.

Latest posts