• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Forehand Drone and OS Nuke

esp flx drone is very os for forehand you need to flex or torque it. It does shine in headwind will go moderately straight with minimal up/down and smaller fade.

The Drone's rim is pretty deep and always bothered me. The FLX I had was pancake flat, and I still never adjusted to it. I know that Kingery will probably jump down my throat on this (despite not having a decent argument against Mike C, who has actually proven he knows what he's talking about), but it seems like every disc you're considering for FH is (mega-)overstable. I personally believe that you're not doing yourself any favors doing this.

I started the same way and spent many years watching my Flicks and Forces go right (lefty here) thanks to OAT and then fade back, sometimes not. It wasn't until I started trying discs more on the stable (neutral) side that my form improved and my distances started growing (and consistently). Your money is yours to spend, but overstable plastic will continue to mask form flaws in much the same way ultra speed drivers do. Stable discs will be frustrating to start, but once you click with them the fun will begin. For the record, look at my signature. Only the Zone is really overstable, and I throw all those discs FH. Two years ago it would've been overstable discs only that would've all been thrown on flex lines to get any distance.

Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

I totally see what your saying here and I am planning on keeping up the work on fh with my buzzz. Im just wondering though, if im throwing a pred and consistently i get a flight path of...straight almost for the entire flight and then a slow fade to the right, wouldnt that be what Im looking for in the flight of this disc? So I guess Im wondering if maybe overstable might fit my throwing style rather than masking form flaws? As a new player I know I have flaws im deffinatly not saying I dont. Im just saying that it seems like at least off the tee and longer fairway shots that the os fh disc fits me.

i know my forehand form isn't very good. the disc flutters upon release, and i have to use an overstable disc or it'll flip right over. however, i only throw forehand about 20% of the time, and usually get decent distance and accuracy. so, is it really a big deal if my forehand form is off?

Please don't make me out to be some novice. My style may be a bit more non-conventional, but that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else if they try it too.

I'm not, I just want those who are n00bs reading this thread to know that you can FH an understable disc just as hard as an overstable one...it just takes a little more technique/finesse/whatever to successfully accomplish it. The amount of times I've read, "It just turns'n'burns" or "It's too flippy" or something along those lines on this site is astronomical. Every time someone says that, another new player reads it and assumes they don't need a/an [insert disc here] because it's a flippy POS, when in reality they just took bad advice.

<3 you

For the record, look at my signature. Only the Drone is really overstable, and I throw all those discs FH. Two years ago it would've been overstable discs only that would've all been thrown on flex lines to get any distance.

Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

FTFM....but I couldn't agree more.

Should I just grab a dx to give the drone a try or do you think it would be wiser to just shell out a couple more bucks to get it in esp or something?

Either go FLX (or Z for others, I won't throw Z Drones to be honest) or get both at once. The D ones can feel bulkier and a little more awkward in the hand, the premium plastic tends to shrink a little more when cooling. Also, the D will lose stability way faster and you'll need to get a premium one if you like it anyway. EDIT::: IMO

Just don't write on it [the FLX], and if you don't want it PM me:)

Last edited:
Just don't write on it [the FLX], and if you don't want it PM me:)

Haha Ill keep that in mind when i purchase one.

So I know my OP got a little far from the orriginal title but what about a longer FH driver? The Nuke OS doesnt seem like an appropriate fit. Could something like an avenger or avenger ss work well for what im looking for? Suggestions?

Haha Ill keep that in mind when i purchase one.

So I know my OP got a little far from the orriginal title but what about a longer FH driver? The Nuke OS doesnt seem like an appropriate fit. Could something like an avenger or avenger ss work well for what im looking for? Suggestions?

The Force paired with an Avenger would cover a lot of shots. The force is super long and can be thrown into wind with confidence. The Avenger will fly straighter and be able to hold different lines. It seems like you like discraft so that would be my two best suggestions from Discraft.

i know my forehand form isn't very good. the disc flutters upon release, and i have to use an overstable disc or it'll flip right over. however, i only throw forehand about 20% of the time, and usually get decent distance and accuracy. so, is it really a big deal if my forehand form is off?

The difference is shaving strokes. Being able to control anything FH has saved me tons of strokes from bad lies where I can't throw a backhand and need a disc to go left and not fade back. I also love FH in the woods and the control I have with it since I can look straight ahead at my target and I don't need a run up unless I am crushing the disc.

Yeah, Force is more the disc you asked about in the initial OP, and an Avenger would be a good control distance driver to use as well like ^^Merch said. I don't throw them any more, but I got my first and third aces with the same ESP Avenger (two-ish weeks apart, after 7 years of trying lol).

I really like the force avenger pairing idea. Just to clarify, you guys are talkin the avenger not the avenger ss? Also on a side note, I was looking at the avenger ss as a possible next step up in BH driving. If I went with a force and an avenger ss (so that I could use it off the tee BH and FH) do you think that pairing would cover as many lines as the force and avenger?

You could use all three, but an A-SS is significantly less stable than a regular Avenger...so no, I would not suggest the Force/A-SS route personally.

. . . I got my first and third aces with the same ESP Avenger (two-ish weeks apart, after 7 years of trying lol).

ORelly? Give me more FH protips, pleas. Lulz.

I don't think I've ever read anything more telling about the majority of advice given on this site.

You're being silly. I don't putt with a big bead, but if I did and it was flipping on me I wouldn't blame the disc. Much of golf comes down to the individual but there are some standards that can be observed.

What can I say--I'm a silly guy. If you want to talk standards, look at the standard disc characteristics for top FH players. You'll find many more who throw OS molds for longer drives. Most of the great FH players I've come across who are 100% FH do indeed throw Eagles, Teebirds, Rocs, etc. (though usually in addition to an OS big-distance driver), but that's not the type of player we're talking about here; the OP throws BH/FH, which is why I advised like I did.

I think this OP has had enough advice for now. Best of luck, guy.

What can I say--I'm a silly guy. If you want to talk standards, look at the standard disc characteristics for top FH players. You'll find many more who throw OS molds for longer drives. Most of the great FH players I've come across who are 100% FH do indeed throw Eagles, Teebirds, Rocs, etc. (though usually in addition to an OS big-distance driver), but that's not the type of player we're talking about here; the OP throws BH/FH, which is why I advised like I did.

I think this OP has had enough advice for now. Best of luck, guy.

Well fwiw I throw bh/fh too and have taken fh seriously for maybe 1/4 of the time I've been playing, and I like to think I figured a thing or two out about that throwing style. But everyone knows you can't fh drive putters unless its a zone, this is proof.

ORelly? Give me more FH protips, pleas. Lulz.

I don't think I've ever read anything more telling about the majority of advice given on this site.

You're dumb...you know that how long it took me to have an ace has nothing to do with my skill level?

How many aces do you have? Wanna have a pissing contest? Piss off dude.

Not to mention I was pretty damn casual about the game for the first 5 years of playing . . .

EDIT: This thread has over 800 views and you're the only person telling me and MikeC we're incorrect:|

Last edited:

Latest posts