• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Tutorial: How to Properly Lead with the Elbow

What I have felt is that the more open I can keep my elbow/arm extended while also away from the body the slower I can come through but still generate the same lag/release speed and this has really made it so much more effortless to get the same distance. I think what happens to many people is that the elbow moves more travels more like a standing V rather than layed down V.

Everybody I have shown this to has also said it felt weird at first and I suppose that was why I had such a big aha moment when I figured it out, quite litterally I doubled my forehand in one throw and at the same time it was maybe 20% of the perceived effort.

Yes south east to north west is a good description but since you also rotate the upper body compared to the target direction the movement isnt so much but both parts are key to be able to move the arm so that the elbow can lead.

Went out for a quick fieldwork, i have to say.. focusing straighter arm, leading more with elbow ouside in diagonal was great tips. Felt easier to lead with the elbow. Still one or another disc turned over and Still some pain but overall an sucsess. Aiming was slightly harder tho, some throws released to the right. The layed v shape elbow tho kinda hurt, i just did it like that a tiny bit.

Correct. Pronating after release protects your arm.

I know when I throw a good forehand (once in a blue moon) it "feels" like I keep my palm up, but that's just a mental trick that keeps my swing plane correct, and my arm pronates after release. Always remember; feel ain't real!

Yes a good follow through is pronating/"rolling your wrist", just dont do it to early hehe

Went out for a quick fieldwork, i have to say.. focusing straighter arm, leading more with elbow ouside in diagonal was great tips. Felt easier to lead with the elbow. Still one or another disc turned over and Still some pain but overall an sucsess. Aiming was slightly harder tho, some throws released to the right. The layed v shape elbow tho kinda hurt, i just did it like that a tiny bit.

I dont think you need to focus on getting a layed down V, it is more that it will be like that if you really get the elbow leading.

Anyways good to hear you are making progress!

I dont think you need to focus on getting a layed down V, it is more that it will be like that if you really get the elbow leading.

Anyways good to hear you are making progress!

Oh wait, so you meant a layed down V as in the whole v laying more on the ground not just a tilting standing V kinda like a L? Was thinking on that today when training hm maybe he meant that the arm should kinda lay down :doh: When doing it more like that was a diffrent story in my thows. Felt weard but pretty good, great snap and not turning discs :clap: but was kinda hard to hold the disc on a plane, tried to have it tilting up in the backswing and on the same plane. Couldnt figure out what was the best.

Yes layed down vs the groun. I think the L shape is what hurts the elbow for most people. That is also why I kind of dont like people watching Nate Sextons style, unless you know what to watch for it can look alot like an L but as he passes the hip you can see the arm flattening out and look more like a layed down V but it is quite hard to see.

Also the arm dont necessarily need to be level with the ground it is more so that the flatter it is the more the elbow is leading.

With an L the shoulder becomes the hinge to which the forearm gets propelled by since the elbow joint only functions in one plane. By letting the arm flatten then you snap with both the pec/shoulder and the triceps. Should feel more like you are dragging the arm until the elbow is in front of the hip, from there when the elbow is in a good biomechanical position the snap starts

This is also why my fingers are more upagainst the plate since if the arm is V level with the ground yhe palm will be more less face up by default.

Having never been taught the correct way to throw a ball and how the arm actually works I found this by Ben Brewster to be very worthwhile. He describes the arm spiral, some kinematics, and coaching considerations including drill thoughts. In the last minute or so he tells why the skipping stones analogy might not be a good way to think about the throw.

I received a request to start a thread for more in depth DISCussion about this, so here it is...

I saw this for the first time yesterday and WHY didn't I see this before!?! I've been a forehand only player until recently and my forehand, while good, wasn't consistent enough. I kept stopping it at points, "rewinding", and reviewing what was shown. Turned a 6 minute video into 15 minutes.

Played a round at a local course, where my average is 89 on a par 60 course. I threw an 81. Still not great, but my forehands were awesome.....even my cardmate commented on how much better I was throwing forehands.

Thank you Sidewinder22!!!!!

((As an aside, the majority of my 'bad' shots were ones that landed in a bush or tree and I didn't have a good throwing line. Usually had to just get the disc out to a spot where I would have a throw from.))

Latest posts