• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Discs AMA

allenhoop

Par Member
My name is Allen and I recently became a street team 'keymaster' for Gateway Disc Sports out of Saint Louis, MO. :):thmbup: Gateway has been making great plastic since the early 90's and even before! The owner, Dave Mac, has been involved in the sport as a player and entrepreneur since the 80's, and was just voted into the inaugural class of the Missouri Disc Golf Hall of Fame. :clap::clap:

Being as I am in the shop on a daily basis, and heavily involved in the online/social media presence of GDS, I feel I would be a the best point of contact for anyone who loves Gateway Discs and gear. I can also answer any questions for people who are interested in learning about or trying out some Gateway discs! :):):)

So, bring it on, ask me anything about Gateway! I'll do my best to answer using all of the sources of information available to me. :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Welcome to DGCR! It will be good to have a "local" Gateway maven on here. I just ordered a bunch of Gateway mids to try out (Warrior, Karma, Element) in a 5 for $40 deal so I'm looking forward to that. Do they do the "5 for $40" and "10 for $70" deals all the time or is that just on special occasions? I've heard people say you can pretty much call up the factory whenever and they will make you a deal on a stack of discs, but I've only just tried it once.

^^^^^Would like to know about that too. I just bought some from DC with a similar deal and definitely see me buying discs in this fashion in the future. Would be a great way to try out new brands of plastic. Are these misprint deals? IF not do you have misprint type of deals?

^^^^^Would like to know about that too. I just bought some from DC with a similar deal and definitely see me buying discs in this fashion in the future. Would be a great way to try out new brands of plastic. Are these misprint deals? IF not do you have misprint type of deals?

The 5 for $40 wasn't a misprint deal. And unlike most of the DC deals I've seen, you get to pick exactly what discs you want in any plastic you want as well as weights and colors. I'm assuming the 10 for $70 deal I've heard of is the same. I think Gateway does the best factory direct deals of the all the disc manufacturers I've heard of honestly. It's like misprint prices on non-misprint discs.

just ordered a bunch of Gateway mids to try out (Warrior, Karma, Element) in a 5 for $40 deal so I'm looking forward to that. Do they do the "5 for $40" and "10 for $70" deals all the time or is that just on special occasions?

These were special sales that we occasionally put on.

Our current deals for new discs are 5/$49 shipped or 10/$84 shipped.

X-outs will run a bit cheaper for 10/$50 shipped.

Call the shop anytime for these deals:
314-487-5204

Is there a method to their madness or do they just randomly write RFF, SSS, SS, etc on the bottom of the nearest disc?

Look, I may be a street team member, but I realize that Gateway is a common joke among disc golfers for a model of inconsistency. I think this is bogus though. ALL companies have inconsistent runs of plastic, as well as errors in markings or other issues. Gateway may have a higher number of these occurrences, but no manufacturer is innocent.

The markings on the back of our putters are the flex ratings. When making batches of discs, just like any other manufacturer, we have different 'recipes' for each plastic type. The flex ratings reflect how the batch turns out with regards to stiffness. It just so happens that we have a lot more blends of plastic than most manufacturers. Does all champion plastic feel the same? Are there stiff runs and gummy runs?

The flex rating is supposed to represent the stiffness of the disc, and nothing else. It should have no bearing on how the disc feels, except for how much it will bend when pressure is applied. You can have slick SSS wizards and grippy SSS wizards.

I think that is one of the great things about GDS discs, specifically putters, that they produce such a variety of blends and runs that everyone can find a putter that feels EXACTLY right for them. That's also why we try to hand pick discs for people as much as possible. Describe to us what you want, and we will have what you are looking for.

Will you guys be doing the Titan sale from last holiday season again this year?

I cannot say yet, but I know that we will have some holiday specials for sure. We might have some slightly used Titan-24 Portable baskets after Am Worlds next week. Stay tuned for that.

Look, I may be a street team member, but I realize that Gateway is a common joke among disc golfers for a model of inconsistency. I think this is bogus though. ALL companies have inconsistent runs of plastic, as well as errors in markings or other issues. Gateway may have a higher number of these occurrences, but no manufacturer is innocent.

The markings on the back of our putters are the flex ratings. When making batches of discs, just like any other manufacturer, we have different 'recipes' for each plastic type. The flex ratings reflect how the batch turns out with regards to stiffness. It just so happens that we have a lot more blends of plastic than most manufacturers. Does all champion plastic feel the same? Are there stiff runs and gummy runs?

The flex rating is supposed to represent the stiffness of the disc, and nothing else. It should have no bearing on how the disc feels, except for how much it will bend when pressure is applied. You can have slick SSS wizards and grippy SSS wizards.

I think that is one of the great things about GDS discs, specifically putters, that they produce such a variety of blends and runs that everyone can find a putter that feels EXACTLY right for them. That's also why we try to hand pick discs for people as much as possible. Describe to us what you want, and we will have what you are looking for.

Well, people are saying the stiffness seems incorrectly marked in some cases, not that the blend or flight is "wrong." I think it would be a little nutty to argue that point honestly, but I also think you might be a little unnecessarily defensive..

There is a ton of support for Gateway here, and even those who poke fun at the "stiffness" ratings are bangin' bags full of wizards.

I think people have a great appreciation here for the craft goodness of Gateway and the variety that a small run, craft process produces. A lot of us also appreciate that Gateway has helped RDG get its foot in the gateway, and now we have more molds produced in a highly personalized, artisan process.

Well, people are saying the stiffness seems incorrectly marked in some cases, not that the blend or flight is "wrong." I think it would be a little nutty to argue that point honestly, but I also think you might be a little unnecessarily defensive..

There is a ton of support for Gateway here, and even those who poke fun at the "stiffness" ratings are bangin' bags full of wizards.

I think people have a great appreciation here for the craft goodness of Gateway and the variety that a small run, craft process produces. A lot of us also appreciate that Gateway has helped RDG get its foot in the gateway, and now we have more molds produced in a highly personalized, artisan process.

Yes, that is the joke. But also, as a past thrower of gateway, i can say that i was pretty put off when ordering from an online retailer when i got several discs stamped and marked as one thing and the flexibility was nowhere close to that.

Variance in runs is part of the business, most of us get that. But when you run a batch of "soft" and they come out with the flexibility of a burrito wrap, and they still get marked soft, how do you defend that?

But when you run a batch of "soft" and they come out with the flexibility of a burrito wrap, and they still get marked soft, how do you defend that?

Because "Soft" doesn't refer to flexibility like every other manufacturer uses it? It's a poor choice for plastic blend terminology, but it is what it is.

What's the most durable Wizard? Would like to get one in a champ or star type of plastic but have never seen anything like that in stores.

What's the most durable Wizard? Would like to get one in a champ or star type of plastic but have never seen anything like that in stores.

Phantom Discs has Evo Wizards (Star-ish), Clear Evo Wizards (champ-ish), and Platinum Evo Wizards (not sure what to compare those to).

http://phantomdiscs.com/Gateway-Wizard-Evolution-Translucent.aspx

I'm sure you could call up the Gateway factory and ask them what kind of Evo Wizards they have in stock as well (Facebook the "Gateway Underground" page for the phone number).

Also check RDG's website as they usually have some awesome Wizards in stock.

Kewl idea for a thread, exactly what Gateway needs.

So I have some personal questions: what palstic are your apaches and what is the karma like, new and beat?

I'm confused a little bit by the low profile putter lineup. You have the Chief, the Chief OS and the Shaman. Does the Chief have the Wizard wing, the Chief OS a new different wing, and the Shaman the Magic wing? Then you have the Devilhawk and Warspear that have a grooved top. I think the Warspear and Shaman have the same wing; does the Devilhawk use the Wizard/Chief wing? How would they line up most-to-least stable? I've heard that both the Devilhawk and Chief OS are beefy, but I don't know how the rest of them line up stability-wise. Thanks.

Last edited: