• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Discs AMA

I love your meathook drivers, like the Spirit and Speed Demon(non DT) any plans to make a max rim size meat hook like an Ape or Stiletto?

It probably wouldn't be a massive seller, but I would personally love a faster Spirit.

I love your meathook drivers, like the Spirit and Speed Demon(non DT) any plans to make a max rim size meat hook like an Ape or Stiletto?

It probably wouldn't be a massive seller, but I would personally love a faster Spirit.

We are currently working on some new molds and technologies. Nothing finalized yet, but expect a new mold or two soon. Hints: Overstable fairway driver, overstable version of the samurai

I personally love the speed demon, and think it's one of the best 12-13 speed discs out there. Somewhere, an S/DS and a Stilletto had a baby, and they named it the Speed Demon. I'm trying to get a run of those put out in our new Diamond plastic, or even Evo-Platinum. We haven't done a run a years.

Hello allenhoop and thank your for all the insight,

I heard a myth that I could send a disc to you guys and you will match the plastic and send me back a bunch of nearly identical discs. Is this true? The reason I ask is that I recently found my favorite plastic for wizards, a nice soft plastic that is perfectly firm and tacky. The problem is I am down to one disc left and I am too scared to throw it.

Hello allenhoop and thank your for all the insight,

I heard a myth that I could send a disc to you guys and you will match the plastic and send me back a bunch of nearly identical discs. Is this true? The reason I ask is that I recently found my favorite plastic for wizards, a nice soft plastic that is perfectly firm and tacky. The problem is I am down to one disc left and I am too scared to throw it.

This is definitely true, although I would have a hard time sending my go-to putter in the mail for a few days, even if it did multiply upon return. Maybe send me a picture and a good description and I could try to match it?

Thanks for doing this! I have a couple questions.

1) I recently got my hands on a couple puffy wizards and I love the feel. How often does a run of these come around?
2) Is there any significance to the gateway disc sports arch stamp?
3) Currently using Rocs and Elements as stable and US mids. Thinking of switching to Karmas instead of Rocs because I've heard the Karmas and Elements have the same feel. Is this true? Is the Karma the most "Roc-like-mid" in the lineup?
4) Could the Assassin fill the gap of a very flippy Sidewinder I just lost? OR What would you suggest from your lineup for rollers?

Thanks for doing this! I have a couple questions.

1) I recently got my hands on a couple puffy wizards and I love the feel. How often does a run of these come around?
2) Is there any significance to the gateway disc sports arch stamp?
3) Currently using Rocs and Elements as stable and US mids. Thinking of switching to Karmas instead of Rocs because I've heard the Karmas and Elements have the same feel. Is this true? Is the Karma the most "Roc-like-mid" in the lineup?
4) Could the Assassin fill the gap of a very flippy Sidewinder I just lost? OR What would you suggest from your lineup for rollers?

1) We haven't made puffy wizards in a while, but I can check and see if there are any in stock. I'm not sure if they are planning on running these anymore.

2) The arch stamp is just a classic stamp from GDS representing our hometown of Saint Louis, MO. Many times this stamp is chosen for exceptional runs, and I know it was a favorite of John E when he threw for us.

3) Karmas are my favorite mid in our lineup. They definitely have the same feel as elements, with a much more stable flight. S Karmas start out like a beefy Roc, and beat in to straight and even understable (eventually). I cycle 3 S Karmas in my bag. The Evo Karmas are stable to overstable, straight with strong finish. Trustworthy in windy conditions and maintain consistent flight throughout the life of the disc.

4) Assassins vary in stability depending on the run, and the newer runs tend to be pretty stable and would be tough to roll unless you have a lot of power. The overmolds can be great rollers right out of the box, but aren't pdga approved yet. My suggestion for a good roller would be an S Assassin. Being as rollers are a big part of my game, I have a beat in Samurai that works great for this as well, and rolls a really, really long way. Nikko used beat in S Illusions for this, but I haven't tried this yet.

Keep the questions coming guys! I hope I'm doing a good job of answering.

Gateway is taking some big steps to taking their lineup to the next level.

The new batches of Platinum and Diamond Evolution has been quite consistent between molds. I believe Mac is on the right track in delivering a consistent premium blend.

On a side note, I was just hired on with Gateway to be Director of Social Media and Digital Marketing so I'll be working hard to breathe some life into Gateway's Web presence.

The scout pairs better with the warrior. And if you like to cycle, I doubt you would need the element.

This is definitely true, although I would have a hard time sending my go-to putter in the mail for a few days, even if it did multiply upon return. Maybe send me a picture and a good description and I could try to match it?

Awesome. I'll take a picture and put a good description together. Like I mentioned, I don't use this last one due to fear of abandonment, so sending it is fine, especially to get the exact (or closest to it) match. I'll follow up soon.

I'll start off with the stability chart:

Most overstable
- Devil Hawk
- War Spear
- Chief OS
- Chief
- Shaman
Least overstable

The Chief/Shaman/Chief OS all have the same top with different wings (Chief = Wizard, Shaman = Magic, Chief OS = Devil Hawk)

The Devil Hawk and War Spear have the same top (thumbtrack) with different bottoms (War Spear = Magic, Devil Hawk = Devil Hawk)
That helps. I threw a War Spear for a bit and I thought it was beefy, but it had the Magic wing so I thought maybe I was crazy.

is the scout worth bagging between a warrior/karma and the element?
Gateway mids I thought were covered really well with the Warrior/Scout/Element. The Karma and Warrior kinda overlap and and the Mystic and Element kinda overlap IMO; the Scout kinda sits in the middle of it all. Once you try to work the Scout in, you will either a) will decide you don't really need it and can cycle either a Warrior or Karma into that slot or b) will decide it fits nicely in-between a Warrior/Karma and a Mystic/Element and will want to carry it. At any rate, you basically can't bag all five without massive overlap. You really have to throw them and see what combination of two or three of them works best for you. When I throw Gateway mids I still just rock the Warrior and Element personally. I have a buddy that uses heavy Scouts like I use Warriors becasue he hates beaded discs. To each their own.

If course I'm leaving out the Demon as it is its own beefy sort of category. They also call the Blaze a mid now, but I don't buy it. If the Blaze is a mid a Banshee is a mid...just sayin'.

What is the diamond evo? How is it diff?

Evo-Diamond is our new premium blend. We used more of the high end polymer in this run, and they came out with a candy look and feel to them. They tend to be gummy indestructible, and mold up flat. We just ran a run of Apaches in our new Evo-Platinum and Evo-Diamond. I can't wait to try them out!!

Gateway mids I thought were covered really well with the Warrior/Scout/Element. The Karma and Warrior kinda overlap and and the Mystic and Element kinda overlap IMO; the Scout kinda sits in the middle of it all. Once you try to work the Scout in, you will either a) will decide you don't really need it and can cycle either a Warrior or Karma into that slot or b) will decide it fits nicely in-between a Warrior/Karma and a Mystic/Element and will want to carry it. At any rate, you basically can't bag all five without massive overlap. You really have to throw them and see what combination of two or three of them works best for you. When I throw Gateway mids I still just rock the Warrior and Element personally. I have a buddy that uses heavy Scouts like I use Warriors becasue he hates beaded discs. To each their own.

If course I'm leaving out the Demon as it is its own beefy sort of category. They also call the Blaze a mid now, but I don't buy it. If the Blaze is a mid a Banshee is a mid...just sayin'.

Recently threw the Element and love it. I agree with the Blaze assessment. I always suggest it when somebody is looking for a premo Viper/Whippet that's easy/cheap to find.

Started with rff wizards and now moved on to purple chalky wizards. They fly so nice. My friend lobo out of Calgary gave me one of his tour stamped spirits. Man that disc is the biggest meat hook ever. Thanks gateway

The 5 for $40 wasn't a misprint deal. And unlike most of the DC deals I've seen, you get to pick exactly what discs you want in any plastic you want as well as weights and colors. I'm assuming the 10 for $70 deal I've heard of is the same. I think Gateway does the best factory direct deals of the all the disc manufacturers I've heard of honestly. It's like misprint prices on non-misprint discs.

That's a sick deal. I'm gonna have to look into this then next time I'm ready to buy some more discs. :thmbup:

Latest posts