• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Putters

Seems like a big company like gateway would have accurate scales???, I wonder why their discs are weiging over/under their posted weights? Seems strange to me. And i dont think its just gateway but ALL disc golf manufacturers. I gotta figure this out now. :\

Last edited:
We have a disc golf pro shop (spinskis) here in G.R with just about anything you could ever want for disc golf, about 10 different types of baskets, clothing apparel, every disc imaginable, if they dont have it they'll get it. But... no bongs or glass blown pipes. Theres a few "head shops" here in town too, they carry a few discs but nothing impressive as far as disc golf has to offer. Im sure the head shop would weigh a disc if you asked, they have the equipment to do that.:D

Well usually headshops sell scales...So they would probably rather you buy their scale than allow you to use one for free. I could be wrong though.

Small sample, but you got me curious about mine.

169 EHPP Wiz : 169.1
168 EHPP Wiz : 168.0
old 172 S Demon : 171.0

Seems like a big company like gateway would have accurate scales???,
Gateway isn't a big company even by disc golf standards. I read someplace that Innova only has something like 60 employees, and that is people at both the east and west coast sites. Discraft supposedly employees about half that number and Gateway is smaller still. So you are talking about relatively small companies. I'm sure they are making a healthy profit, but these are not companies swimming in cash who can spend a lot of money on new scales and have people with the time to calibrate them before every run and double check weights. They do the best they can. + or - 2 or 3 g's isn't a big deal IMO. My disc weights fluctuate that much from water weight going from the humid summers to the dry winters anyway.

Gateway isn't a big company even by disc golf standards. I read someplace that Innova only has something like 60 employees, and that is people at both the east and west coast sites. Discraft supposedly employees about half that number and Gateway is smaller still. So you are talking about relatively small companies. I'm sure they are making a healthy profit, but these are not companies swimming in cash who can spend a lot of money on new scales and have people with the time to calibrate them before every run and double check weights. They do the best they can. + or - 2 or 3 g's isn't a big deal IMO. My disc weights fluctuate that much from water weight going from the humid summers to the dry winters anyway.

I wasnt aware that these disc golf manufacturers had so few employees, and it does seem like they would have to be making pretty good profits, theres a lot of innova discs out there that have been bought and sold you know? I dont worry about a gram or two either but it was just interesting that I can weigh "my mail" to the tenth of a gram, but a million plus dollar company cant get it within 3-4 grams? I just find that odd, but not a big deal, 10 grams would be a big deal. Thanks for the info three putt.:D

Yeah really I didn't expect at least innova and discraft to have so few employees. Though I guess all you need is a few machines to mold and a bunch of molds to use, a few people to do everything that requires human hands. I still just wish I could find a SS just like my voodoo in another gateway disc to try others out, because I'm in love with the way my voodoo feels.

Well the plastics are crazy different feeling if you ask me...which is fine I suppose. I just think we need a way to name them so we can compare better.

For instance i have a magic and a warlock that are supposed to be the same plastic, they're even the same color...but the magic is pretty soft...not REALLY soft, not SSS...but it's soft. Feels soft to the touch and bends a bit.

The warlock isn't going to budge.

\/\/

Eh, the gateway putters do have a pretty huge variety of feels and softness, but at least they have very consistent flight characteristics. Just find the color and run you like, and buy a bunch of them, or find a place where you can feel the discs before you buy.

Wow... that's a small company. I'm sort of surprised they can pump out so many discs with that amount of people.

And I wouldn't mind + or -2 but I could have sworn my shop owner said an amount a little less close to correct. But I still I wish they were rated an extra way to say how soft/flexible this SS is. I have a shop I always go to so I can always feel it first to see if it's right, just a bit annoying when he hasn't had a run I like in a while.

Ive seen a lot of inconsistencies with plastic that gateway uses, ive had s wizards a lot softer that sss or ss that have felt like medium, they really need to work out these kinks, but i dont find it that hard to find the right feeling plastic.

I haven't had an issue with Gateway's consistencies. All I do is buy 3 at a time. I putt and practice with those three until they are too beat, then I buy 3 more. As long as the plastic is relatively close then it doesn't take much to adjust.

What makes Gateway putters so special?

I hear a bit about Gateway's putters, compared to their other discs.

What if anything sets their putters aside from the other brands. I imagine putter technology and molds can only be so advanced..

I use a Pig for putting in the wind or approaches and will never let it go. Now I putt primarily with a JK or RW Aviar. I would consider having an affair, and straying a bit just to test the water ;)

Is the Wizard the most comparable to the Aviar and the Warlock more overstable?

I got one SS Wizard in a trade, SuperSoft?

This thing was stiff..

Never threw it.

Are the really soft ones labeled SSS?

What is your favorite feeling/plastic by them?

Isn't there one putter made by Gateway that has a "fuzzy" feel to it?
Hemp/Organic?

I'm not really sure what makes Gateway putters so great, it seems like Mccomack started with Wizard (beaded) and most like a beaded aviar, then took the bead off and made the Warlock, then a different mold for the Magic (understable) and and again for the voodoo (fairly stable). I think I'm missing one too. Anyway I like his putters a lot. I would say they are regionally super popular (midwest), and pretty popular everywhere else as there has been a pretty big explosion in the last 5 years, and they are generally considered the putter company of choice for many.

In terms of the Soft Super Soft etc, I'm not sure, but I think he ranges his stuff from Hard and Medium (which are tougher to find) to Super Stupid Soft, but they are all fairly stiff when compared to a JK, it's more the different feel of the plastics, the Medium and softs to me feel like KC plastic, and SS and SSS are just progressively gummier. But in terms of floppiness they are fairly stiff compared to rpro and like omega supersoft. They do have an 'organic' plastic that feels good, but I haven't thrown the one I have yet.

I use Wizards and voodoos mostly, I putt with a SS voodoo and approach with various Wizards, mostly the stiffer stuff. The SS voodoo plastic feel good in the hand and stays straight all the way to the basket for me.

The best advice I can give you is give some of it a try, a couple different molds and a couple different plastics. the wizard seems the most popular, and is sort of the tried and true flagship mold but I know a lot of folks that use magics for putting also.

Happy discing

oh I think that the aviar may be a bit more overstable than the wizard, but it's fairly negligible, and the 09 ace race putter from discraft is just a wizard in disguise so I've heard