• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting back in the game

kingjames1014

* Ace Member *
I've been out of the game for almost 2 years due to relocation, injury, and work schedule. Watching the Bowling Green ams has revived my desire to play again. I feel that I may have to learn the game again from the ground up. My question​ is have any of you had to "relearn" the game and what should my expectations be moving forward? Thanks and I appreciate your help.

It comes back quicker than you'd think. The finesse game---midranges and technical woods shots---perhaps the hardest. Oh, and your discs won't fly the same as they did when you set them down, at least for a while.

I've gone through a number of long injury layoffs, including surgery, nothing like 2 years, but a half a year or more.

Nearly a ten year hiatus...It was my dark years of dg. Yeah it is hard to believe that when i think of it.

It was mostly due to burn out, doing other things in life and well maybe just a long break..

So, it is never to late to get the old discs out and give them a whirl.

I guess it all depends on what level you were at before your time off. I took over 10 years off, but I was also just a chucker before I quit. After starting up again it was completely addicting. It was no longer let's go throw some discs, it became I want to throw all the time, & I want to throw better every time.

Started in 2007, got to around 920, then didn't play much from 2010-2015. Rating is around 875 now. Don't know how old you are, but I have found distance has been reduced by about 30-50', and long forehand shot is gone. I think age and the layoff both affected my game. I suppose the point is, don't expect much.

It may end up being a real blessing. I haven't taken that much time off but I did make the decision to start over with my throw and rebuild it from the ground up. Scoring suffered for a while but now in my 30s I am throwing better than I ever have. Take it as an opportunity to forget some bad habits you had when you were playing.

Yes, I had to basically completely relearn how to play golf. I was 950-something rated a couple years ago, predominantly RHBH with a somewhat useful, occasional forehand.

Dislocated my throwing shoulder for the 7th or 8th time 2 years ago, and went in for my second surgery. So I had an open Bankhart revision (labrum repair) and a rotator interval closure, which severely limited my external range of motion. I also have a lot of arthritis in that shoulder, and if I was 55 instead of 35, it would already be replaced.

So, I will never throw backhand again. Admittedly, that is probably more a mental thing than a complete physical inability to do so, but I now throw exclusively forehand, and it's a weird abbreviated motion at that due to the limited external ROM. Coming back to throwing after surgery and rehab, I could literally only throw about 40 feet. And putting was almost impossible because I could not raise my arm above chest level. Now finally, two years and a deltoid injury setback later, I can putt pretty well out to 25' and on my best throws I can flirt with 300 feet. My expectations are completely different, and sometimes, it's difficult to be out on the course with my new ability when I think about what I could do before. To be honest though, I'm having more fun now and taking it less seriously, which I think has been good for me.

Not sure what your injury was, but I wish you luck in coming back. If it wasn't overly serious, I think things will come back pretty quickly.

I've been out of the game for almost 2 years due to relocation, injury, and work schedule. Watching the Bowling Green ams has revived my desire to play again. I feel that I may have to learn the game again from the ground up. My question​ is have any of you had to "relearn" the game and what should my expectations be moving forward? Thanks and I appreciate your help.

After I had knee surgery in 2013 I took 2 years off, played very little in that time frame. So not completely out of the game, but it takes a long time to get the rust knocked off. I'm feeling much better about my physical skills now, just over a year after returning to competitive golf, I just have to recapture the mental aspect of the game I used to have. That's been the biggest struggle for me.

I faced a year off due to elbow tendinitis, severe enough that a DGing physical therapist I know told me not to throw until I had a few months pain ad inflammation free. So I taught myself to play lefty. It was like learning to throw a disc again. But slowly, over a week or two of just throwing daily, my mind was able to adapt and the physical aspects became more natural. I played all of 2016 lefty. I'm healed, and now play ambidextrous. I'm about 75/25 RHBH vs LHBH, but the lefty throws come in very handy. I'm consistent enough to have faith in it, and just need to close my eyes for a moment and think flight patterns in reverse. When life gives you lemons...blah,blah,blah

Point being...if your mind is open to it, you will relearn quickly. Good luck ����

Last edited:
If throwing max weight is a issue, I recommend 150 class.

Actually I would recommend 150 class to anyone.

There are some great instructional videos out now. I've watched a few and got some good ideas to try when I get ready to start again. It has me hopeful.

Latest posts