• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glass on the course

I have seen an increase in broken bottles on two of my local courses the last two summers. I always try and pick up the pieces if I can. I also sometimes bring my caddie with me (my dog) and the last thing I want to do is carry a fifty pound dog to the car because she has a quarter size piece of glass lodged in her paw. I can't imagine the vet bill for that.

We get a lot of highschoolers that come out after 3:00pm and take the course over. They like to smash bottles, bend and break small trees, and whatever other destruction they can cause that will impress their friends.

The courses are alcohol free and the majority of the bottles are booze. I have stopped bring booze with me when I play.

As much as I would love to see the glass issue resolved, I also have to look at the practicality of it. Glass is preferred over plastic/aluminum. There is a different taste and everything to it. Not only that, but I know in at least my case when I do drink an alcoholic beverage at the park, it's usually a Smirnoff Triple Black, an Oberon or a Home Brew, all three of which do not have any other option other then glass containers. A very large majority of beers and malt beverages only come in glass, are you saying I should open my 6 pack at home and dump them all into plastic coke bottles?

I think a better option would be to adopt the same rules that national forests and such have. If you bring it with you, take it with you. If you are a home brewer then take your bottles back home with you. Or if you live in a state that has a refund on them, why not just bring them back with you?

Smoke said:
As much as I would love to see the glass issue resolved, I also have to look at the practicality of it. Glass is preferred over plastic/aluminum. There is a different taste and everything to it. Not only that, but I know in at least my case when I do drink an alcoholic beverage at the park, it's usually a Smirnoff Triple Black, an Oberon or a Home Brew, all three of which do not have any other option other then glass containers. A very large majority of beers and malt beverages only come in glass, are you saying I should open my 6 pack at home and dump them all into plastic coke bottles?

I think a better option would be to adopt the same rules that national forests and such have. If you bring it with you, take it with you. If you are a home brewer then take your bottles back home with you. Or if you live in a state that has a refund on them, why not just bring them back with you?

People actually drink smirnoff triple black?????

Haha my local course is on the property of a middle school, so drinking is almost out of the question. I don;t like carrying a lot of weight with me while I play, and I feel like drinking beer on a course would slow me down and fiill me up. However... I have been known to "lose" a disc in the woods and come back with bloodshot eyes.

GSCUbgeorge said:
Smoke said:

People actually drink smirnoff triple black?????

Haha my local course is on the property of a middle school, so drinking is almost out of the question. I don;t like carrying a lot of weight with me while I play, and I feel like drinking beer on a course would slow me down and fiill me up. However... I have been known to "lose" a disc in the woods and come back with bloodshot eyes.

As much of a herbal advocate I am....don't you think that doing that around school kids, and worse yet on school grounds is a really bad idea.? Not only that if you were to get caught doing so could put the state of that course in jeopardy?

Sorry for the thread drift there..had to say something.

This isn't much of a drift. The course is across the street from the backside of the school , so it it technically school property, which is why I don't choose to carry glass or any other alcoholic containers. To clarify, I go into the woods(hopefully past property lines) and come back very shortly. I have actually seen someone under the age of 16 on the course once, and he was finishing up a round with his father. The woods are over a half mile from the school, and I wouldn't EVER do it if there were anyone else on the entire course, much less children. I don't like the idea of jeopardizing my course, much less jailtime.

Doesn't bringing glass to a course violate open container laws anyways?

Smoke said:
are you saying I should open my 6 pack at home and dump them all into plastic coke bottles?

Was this question directed at me? If so, did you actually read my first post, or just skim it and come up with your own conclusions?

ChUcK said:
I'd like to see golfers (who drink while they play) gear down their tastes a bit and just bring unbreakable cans. For those who can't abide by canned beer, make sure you pack out your empties, instead of leaving ammunition for the kids.

ChUcK said:
Smoke said:
are you saying I should open my 6 pack at home and dump them all into plastic coke bottles?

Was this question directed at me? If so, did you actually read my first post, or just skim it and come up with your own conclusions?

ChUcK said:
I'd like to see golfers (who drink while they play) gear down their tastes a bit and just bring unbreakable cans. For those who can't abide by canned beer, make sure you pack out your empties, instead of leaving ammunition for the kids.

It wasn't directed at any one person more of a generalized question.

I, like you would love to see the days of broken glass come to an end. I have stopped a round many times to pick up broken glass from a fairway or what not and had to pay for it later when I was fishing broken shards out of my fingers.

Luke, if you're talking about Thorpe park in Flag, I hear you. There's tons of glass around, and not nearly enough trash cans. Whereas at Macpherson, there's not too much glass (that I've noticed anyway), but there are even fewer trash cans. Go figure.

Ah. That makes sense now. I do seem to see more people with bottles on Thorpe, but recently have been seeing more of the "one disc wonders" at Mac. Especially since they just reopened a couple weeks ago. I don't understand the thinking about the delay there either.

We live in a lazy ass city. They didn't even put it in. We had to. I was angry.

Although it may be wrong, I've started throwing over people's heads on holes like 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 15 at McPherson, if people aren't letting me play through.

I do this if I've been waiting a few holes and I am being severely held up.

I know about the throwing over people's heads. I'm getting a bit fed up with groups of 8 people not letting a smaller group play through.

Luke said:
We live in a lazy ass city. They didn't even put it in. We had to. I was angry.

Although it may be wrong, I've started throwing over people's heads on holes like 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 15 at McPherson, if people aren't letting me play through.

I do this if I've been waiting a few holes and I am being severely held up.

I'd be careful doing that. I played with a guy last week who was doing that up at Pier park. He ended up hitting another guys girlfriend in the leg. It did not end well for that guy. I imagine he may think twice again before throwing on another group.

____........x......x........x........................................................+..|==|
__O_..........x.........x................................................................|=|

I'm the O, the super group is represented by the x's. They are currently waiting for the 90 pound hippie bitch with dread locks to throw another thirty foot throw with her tee rex. The + is where my disc lands.

Sometimes, I just can't hold it. It's like I need flomax, or throwmax, if you will, to keep me from throwing all the time, and needing to throw all the time.

domromer said:
Luke said:
The one disc wonders know about Thorpe, and not about McPherson.
Hey!! No trash talkin on Thorpe! She might be rough but there is a special place in my heart for Thorpe.

Oh, Thorpe has good memories. First throw, first par, first birdie, first ace. I love the course. Hate the people.

Luke said:
domromer said:
Luke said:
The one disc wonders know about Thorpe, and not about McPherson.
Hey!! No trash talkin on Thorpe! She might be rough but there is a special place in my heart for Thorpe.

Oh, Thorpe has good memories. First throw, first par, first birdie, first ace. I love the course. Hate the people.

I usually play like 8am so the course is all mine then. I don't deal with the crowds. On the weekends I usually just play the object courses.

Latest posts