• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Glidiest, Straightest, Speed 10ish Disc?

Hey question for you guys who seem to know a lot about this glidey control driver slot - what would be just a little less stable than a GL saint? Maybe a recycled line saint, or a recycled Falcion?

I have a GL saint and I'm thinking of bagging it, but I wouldn't mind for it to take up a slightly less stable slot for throwing in the woods. Not a huge fan of the Fury BTW, rim is too blunt

I find the HSS of the recycled Falchion top be very similar to a GL Saint. A recycled Saint would be a good choice once you wear it in a bit. I use a max weight Elasto Hatchet for this because it's the glidiest disc ever in its speed class and I can get it to hyzerflip dead nuts.

A Champion Beast is one of the best disc ever for this shot imo.

I was going to say upper weight Star Beast... give it a try. The main weakness is that it's extremely prone to flipping in a headwind, but with smooth form a Beast has all the glide and straight you're looking for. There are lots of discs that will work for the shot you describe, and there's no way around it: the disc that works will depend on your arm speed and technique... even pros will use different discs depending on what works for them. Find what works for you, while endeavoring to improve your form and consistency.

I would say like others on here a Valkyrie in ether Champion or Star depending on weather. winter Star, summer Champion, unless raining. Look for ones that are a flatter type disc with a very low dome. The higher domed Valkyries are one you have to throw higher to get the distance from them or the higher domed Valkyries tend to nose into the ground too soon in the flight if you throw them lower, though this is just my experience. Another disc I have seen thrown by a cousin like the Valkyrie is a Avenger SS.

Last edited:
A Legacy Patriot, gummy pinnacle plastic. It's similar to a Leopard but slightly faster and I think straighter.

If you're open to advice that will significantly improve your game not only on this hole but many others, make yourself stick to throwing your truths or rocs on this hole until you have figured it out. I know you said you can't get it there with the low ceiling, however it can be done. Making yourself stick to the mids will teach you a ton about your throws and will turn into more distance and control throughout your whole bag.

Anytime I find a hole that is giving me fits, I play it over and over with mids and putters until I've figured it out. Then I usually throw a personal best on the course shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say a P-Line PD is the straightest, glidiest, and easily the longest speed 10 disc I've ever thrown. Longest 'officially' measured throw I've ever had was 433' and it was with a P-Line PD. I'd probably give honorable mention to a upper 160s champ Orc.

For the specific shot mentioned by the OP, I'd use a pinnacle patriot! They definitely can fly midrange distances on lower lines. I really like to use a slow, slightly understable driver for those type of shots. (FD, patriot, leopard, xl)

Last edited:
Orion LS is something I've been able to hyzerflip and get a niiice long straight turn and fairly straight finish.

Ols is a good disc that will beat into a hyzerflip disc. I found that it is one of those discs that require the right amount of power and flip to get it to do what you want. Granted, mine are not as beat, max weight, and in Sirius plastic. I think the Ols can be too precise in it's requirements to do what you want it to do.

For example, not enough power, it will fade on you. Too much power, it will flip and not come back. It is a great disc when it is thrown just right. In my experience, it is good but more demanding and precise than I would like my understable driver to be .

I had a gummy pinnacle Patriot in the bag for a couple years. It got traded away on Monday. I don't think I ever threw a single good shot with that disc. It was kinda like crd 81 just mentioned- not enough power and it would hyzer out on me, or too much power and it would flip all the way over. I've had much better results with a Champ Leo3.

I threw a dozen shots on that hole last night. Best result was an old Valk that I threw a bit too high and got lucky through the trees. It was laying right under the basket.

If you're open to advice that will significantly improve your game not only on this hole but many others, make yourself stick to throwing your truths or rocs on this hole until you have figured it out. I know you said you can't get it there with the low ceiling, however it can be done. Making yourself stick to the mids will teach you a ton about your throws and will turn into more distance and control throughout your whole bag.

Anytime I find a hole that is giving me fits, I play it over and over with mids and putters until I've figured it out. Then I usually throw a personal best on the course shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, while this is how I'd play the hole, I don't know if choosing a mid on low ceilings is going to improve your game, other than teaching you how to throw mids on low ceiling holes. You may need to mess with nose angle with a mid. (I'll put a Buzzz with a hair of nose up, or if I really need to hug the ground, a Buzzz SS with a pinch more, and drive slightly downward like I was going for a very shallow air bounce. Partly because I love the slow glidey flight of a mid...and the other part is hubris). The other option is discing up and line driving it. I've heard a couple pros in commentary talk of low ceilings, and choosing a disc that will get there quick. Same for tunnels. Something quick, that you can keep low, so there is minimal fade.

Example: EO 2017, hole 6. Slightly uphill but shorter than the OP's hole, tunnel shot that really pinches toward the basket. This isn't a low ceiling shot and McBeth uses his Leopard3 over his Rocs (He comments about it after they all drive.) Doss is using his Buzzz but it gets that glide from the angle (throwing uphill) of the disc as it starts to slow down. Two camps and I don't think one is better than the other. Just have to throw the shot you are comfortable with.

https://youtu.be/Cuw8bXzPcHI?t=20m9s

Can you link to the course or can you post a couple pics. I'm having troubles with a couple similar holes and am having a hard time visualising it. My best recommendation is to work with that Leo3 until it's getting to about 10 of the basket and then make sure that it is something that you can repeat. I throw very similar distances to you and have been trying to consistemtly get my Roc3s to go 300'. I had limited success but it has to be thrown high to get distance which won't work. Only other option I haven't heard mentioned is the MINT Alpha. My two can handle most low lines and still offer me good distance (probably around 320' on a typical low line with my pink one) while not having a crazy skip fade. If you can find a Royal Blue Sublime Alpha you will be all set to go.

The course link doesn't have pics, and I have no idea how to post any.

I threw 7 drives on this hole the other day. A
hyzer-flipped Valk found a lucky gap and was under the basket. A Rival found another lucky gap and left me an easy putt. Everything else either hit trees or was too low to get all the way up to the basket. I guess I can pull off this shot with the discs I have, but I need to get better or get luckier.

I know you want to throw BH on this hole, but have you tried FH something that is fairly straight with manageable fade (S-PD for example)? I would personally BH something similar to a seasoned CD2 or just throw a S-FD and take the 30' putt.

I know you want to throw BH on this hole, but have you tried FH something that is fairly straight with manageable fade (S-PD for example)? I would personally BH something similar to a seasoned CD2 or just throw a S-FD and take the 30' putt.

If I had the ability, I'd throw a huge LHBH or RHFH hyzer into the basket area from the left side.

But since I don't... Probably a TL or FD right up the gut...

Side note: that course looks like fun.

I have tried forehanding an SPD(along with other discs) on this hole. Same trouble of having a narrow gap vertically, with the added bonus of small trees all along the left to miss as well as fading towards the woodsy/swampy area to the right of the basket if it goes long.

I have managed to luckily weave a Felon on some anhyzer through the skinny trees on the left, out wide, and back under the mature trees guarding the basket- once. And I still had a long (for me) putt with a low ceiling from the left. This hole doesn't seem to skip much.

Big high forehands out wide over the road crash into the mature trees guarding the basket. That leaves the same long, low ceiling putt. Unless you want to try and mash one 400' and be way long...

And this course is fun. But I miss the two local courses I had in CO. Trees were shorter, so thumbers were a mainstay. And the scenery was pretty sweet. But if you ever swing through Indiana and want to play, let me know.

Latest posts