• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Glidiest, Straightest, Speed 10ish Disc?

I've seen some really good answers so far. My question in reply to your question is : how far do you throw in the open, i.o.w. what kind of power (and snap) do you have?

On my home course is a hole where one throws from a teebox in the open into the woods, slightly uphill, with increasing obstacles (trees and brush) guarding the basket, with a distance of 290 ft. or so. I generally throw my Star TL or S-FD and bite off a chunk of the distance, then go for the long putt/approach shot.

I've thrown in a field and taken a laser range finder with me a few times this year. Just the other day I threw a bunch of discs all similarly and on what I would call a "golf line"- meaning I didn't try to air anything out super high or force a bunch of anhyzer. Rocs and emac Truths went 290ish, Rivals and a TB3 went 345ish, and a couple Wraiths and my most beat Destroyer went right at 400. I threw an SPD and Star Orc somewhere between the fairways and distance drivers. All of these discs fly nice straight lines for me with basically no turn and minimal/reasonable fade.

I've thrown in a field and taken a laser range finder with me a few times this year. Just the other day I threw a bunch of discs all similarly and on what I would call a "golf line"- meaning I didn't try to air anything out super high or force a bunch of anhyzer. Rocs and emac Truths went 290ish, Rivals and a TB3 went 345ish, and a couple Wraiths and my most beat Destroyer went right at 400. I threw an SPD and Star Orc somewhere between the fairways and distance drivers. All of these discs fly nice straight lines for me with basically no turn and minimal/reasonable fade.

Sounds like you have sufficient power to disc down (which may have already been suggested; I didn't see the whole thread). Mid, or even a approach putter might get ya done. I'm envisioning that EMac Truth or Buzzz or Roc3, especially one that is seasoning in, flying in on a rope and landing (relatively) softly...

I have a DX Roc3 that flies an absolutely beautiful laser-straight frozen rope up to about 300' for me. But not quite low enough if I want to keep under the trees in front of this basket and get close. And it would still be short. Same with a fairway- I can throw one far enough, but not quite far enough if I have to keep it under these trees. I've even recently thrown a putter over 300 feet and dead straight- but I had to put probably 20' under it...

I have a DX Roc3 that flies an absolutely beautiful laser-straight frozen rope up to about 300' for me. But not quite low enough if I want to keep under the trees in front of this basket and get close. And it would still be short. Same with a fairway- I can throw one far enough, but not quite far enough if I have to keep it under these trees. I've even recently thrown a putter over 300 feet and dead straight- but I had to put probably 20' under it...

sounds tricky... Discs low enough to get under the trees might come in 'hot'. How far short of the basket are the guardian trees? Maybe throw a little short to drop beneath them (and skid in), then putt/approach to the basket...

Trees are probably 60-80' short of the basket and extending to even with it. They're mature hardwoods. It's no problem to throw a big forehand out left and crash it into the trees leaving a long putt, but I suck at long putts and as my backhand improves, I'd like to be able to attack this one for the deuce more often.

Maybe the key is just waiting until my backhand has improved more so that I can get there with the discs I already throw...

A well seasoned hyzer flipped Champion Roadrunner gets my long glidey tight tunnel shots. Escape is about the same but maybe a half tick less glide unless its in Biofusion.

Roadrunners are great, and if you like the DM brand, the TD is a great pairing to it. I use TDs for all my turnover, distance hyzerflip, and roller shots, and PDs for most other driving duty. S-Line TDs are a bit more stable for dead straight tunnels with a gentle turn and a mild fade, C-Line TDs are more flippy and require a hyzerflip for anything with any power on it.

I just recently moved and the new course closest to my house is very tight and wooded with lots of holes like you are describing. I have had a retro saint (base type plastic if you don't know trilogy) for a while and never clicked with it. Until I started throwing it in the woods. Beat it up a bit and it was money on low straight lines with glide for days. Didn't require a huge snap to get up to speed so I could hit tighter lines easier.

So what happens when you click with a disc like this on a tight course, you clip the left edge of a tree (RHBH) and it takes a 45 degree course change into the unknown. Looked for it for an hour and it is a goner.

You have had many suggestions similar to this. Speed 9ish in base plastic beat up to a hyzerflip. Good glide to begin with is helpful but the icing on the cake is a little stability beat out and the hyzerflip. Those two will make anyone understand what glide really looks like.

Orion LS is something I've been able to hyzerflip and get a niiice long straight turn and fairly straight finish. Also an MVP Volt, I know you asked for speed 10, but my neutron Volt was $ through the woods this weekend, it takes good power and can hold that sliiiight anny like 80% of the flight then straighten out and fade.

I have never thrown an escape but I can see that as a recommendation.

Discmania CD - I'd say S line and beat it up a lil bit
Discmania TD - and hope to get a stable one - they fly like a beat S CD right away. TD is sweet.

For the shot you're describing my closest personal recommendation would be a Discmania TD

I agree with the hyzerflipped Roadrunner or similar disc, crowd, but if you still wanted to try something in the speed range you actually requested that's super glidey, try a Sail.

A disc that actually does fit the OPs initial description is the Westside Northman. Despite the fact that it does fit the OPs description almost perfectly, I am not going to recommend it. It's a larger diameter disc and when you put it in your bag, it sticks out further than all the rest. I was never able to get passed that personally. It really bugged me and for that reason alone, I won't bag it. The Falchion accomplishes the same thing while being only one speed slower but in a traditional diameter.

Hey question for you guys who seem to know a lot about this glidey control driver slot - what would be just a little less stable than a GL saint? Maybe a recycled line saint, or a recycled Falcion?

I have a GL saint and I'm thinking of bagging it, but I wouldn't mind for it to take up a slightly less stable slot for throwing in the woods. Not a huge fan of the Fury BTW, rim is too blunt

Hey question for you guys who seem to know a lot about this glidey control driver slot - what would be just a little less stable than a GL saint? Maybe a recycled line saint, or a recycled Falcion?

I have a GL saint and I'm thinking of bagging it, but I wouldn't mind for it to take up a slightly less stable slot for throwing in the woods. Not a huge fan of the Fury BTW, rim is too blunt

Bio Escape

Latest posts