• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf Disc Durability Testing Video

This would be the point I'd hammer away at. I for one would never be caught dead trying to execute a putt or tight approach shot with a Z or Champ or E disc becasue of the complete lack of grip those discs have. If X-Link truly is comparable in durability to those with the grip of a base plastic, that would be news.

It's hard to show good grip on YouTube, though.

It is hard, but not impossible. In this video, I show the grip test that we use in the lab to determine the grip of premium plastics vs. the rubber based X-Link discs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqQATXdVlWA

Steve, I think what this is asking for is to show how much rebound a disc has. One of the reasons I love driving tight fairways with my VP or Ridge is that errant throws that hit trees just die and don't richochet far. I think the "grab the chains" idea is insane. Soft discs absorb impacts and drop while hard ones cannot so they ricochet.

I enjoyed your video and applaud you for using youtube so effectively. Don't beat yourself up over people not appreciating the time you're taking to promote the product.

We have noticed that Ridges & VPs seem to grab the chains really well - and that Summits seem to not (which is why I putt with a Ridge and only use the Summit for tricky approach shots - it is relatively understable and is forgiving for these slower speed shots).

I am working on a repeatable test - or enough empriical evidence - to test (and hopefully prove) this legitimately. It will probably be months before we are satisfied with the tests though.

While I'm sure the X-Link actually does hold up better than the discs you show in the video, my point was more of a pretentious one - if you will. When you take out randomization, introduce a very fallible human element, and record it on your own video camera, validity then becomes lost. Just a simple implementation of the scientific method.

Understood. I had a long response but none is needed. Basically independent testing costs money and I (like you) believe the results that I am getting.

And I believe them so much that I will be going to The Wright Life and Phenix Disc Sports on Saturday, June 12th to talk about the advantages of getting grip AND durability in one disc. We'll also be conducting some durability tests, if you know what I mean. :)

We may conduct a durability test at the High Plains Challenge (which is a Vibram Open Qualifier, by the way) also.

I would love to develop a grab the chains test or have some silly great putter test them for you and compare the number of spit outs adn whatnot
Good idea. Tough to control the variables w/o some pretty sophisticated disc-launching equipment, though.

I've been using the same supersoft magic for two years now (for putting, approaching, and driving when necessary) and anytime it gets a little warped (and it has many times), let it sit for 20 minutes and it goes back to flat

I did this with the discs conducted in the first durability video test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlv5HlAfUx0), although I let them sit overnight. Here are the pics of the discs after a night on my desk:

X-Link Ridge (the warp in the middle went away)
photo5.jpg

Soft Wizard
photo4.jpg

Zero Grip Pure
photo1.jpg

DX Aviar
photo2.jpg

Pro D Magnet
photo3.jpg

From this quick test (which I have done previously with the same results), the rubber based X-Link material goes back to shape. The plastic discs did not go back to shape.

I'll bring these discs with me to The Wright Life and Phenix Disc Sport Vibram Putting Clinics so you all can check them out.

Next time you should compare a ferrari v.s my ford focus in speed, it is about the same comparsion. P.S. Zenbot and Mr Dodge...you are getting pissed that people don't agree with your opinions, but what i saw in the video is vibrams disc....great disc, strong and realible, but you compared it to dx plastic and then tried telling people, that after 3 good hits dx plastic is pretty much warped....The problem with that is 90% of the people in this forum own dx plactic has hit more trees than that and still fly great. In your next video please take a innova dx disc and without editing or stopping the video, hit 3 trees and show us the disc.....Thanks in advance

I don't see a shred of evidence that either zenbot or Mr. Dodge is "getting pissed". Maybe I'm missing something; please provide me some.

I certainly don't think Steve is being anything but level-headed here. These are quality tests which should be tested to an extreme. Hitting one tree isn't going to prove durability and the chance that he's going to hit the tree at the same angle 50 times in a row from 60' away is low. I don't understand why anyone is getting upset here. He's not trying to say all other plasitcs are junk. He's just showing that Vibram's rubber is better.

It's a youtube video. It's not being forced upon you during the superbowl. if you don't like it you don't have to watch it.

Next time you should compare a ferrari v.s my ford focus in speed, it is about the same comparsion. P.S. Zenbot and Mr Dodge...you are getting pissed that people don't agree with your opinions, but what i saw in the video is vibrams disc....great disc, strong and realible, but you compared it to dx plastic and then tried telling people, that after 3 good hits dx plastic is pretty much warped....The problem with that is 90% of the people in this forum own dx plactic has hit more trees than that and still fly great. In your next video please take a innova dx disc and without editing or stopping the video, hit 3 trees and show us the disc.....Thanks in advance
Who's pissed? We're just having a discussion.

I'm not by any means mad, I just find it funny when you take a vibram $15.00 disc and compare it to $8 dollar disc...when most of the other companies have MORE COMPARABLE disc in the same $15,00 price range. However that was not done, I am in no way saying that Vibram don't have strong disc, but rather..next time compare an apple to an apple not a grape...Thanks

I'm not by any means mad, I just find it funny when you take a vibram $15.00 disc and compare it to $8 dollar disc...when most of the other companies have MORE COMPARABLE disc in the same $15,00 price range. However that was not done, I am in no way saying that Vibram don't have strong disc, but rather..next time compare an apple to an apple not a grape...Thanks
I totally get your point. What I was trying to say is that people who care about grip in a putter will find that Vibram's rubber is comparable to Pro plastic and its cross-brand equivalents. I'm a huge soft Pro-Rhyno fan. While I love the disc I don't love that I have to keep buying new ones when they lose their stability.

So, yes, you are correct that in a monetary sense that it is not a good comparison but if you eliminate the price point you're only left with "sticky" putters and "non-sticky" putters. I certainly can go buy a Champ Rhyno knowing that it will outlast the Pro plastic. I won't, though, because I prefer the texture of the cheaper plastic.

Now I have the option to have the best of both worlds. A sticky putter that will keep its original flight pattern much longer.

Are we ok? Do you need a hug?

If you read the thread you would know that Mr. Dodge stated he was in the process of making a video comparing Vibram X-Link to other manufacturers premium plastics. You would also know that the read he chose the cheaper plastic was because they were comparable in grip.

I am quite impressed with Vibram and Mr. Dodge for taking the time to do things like the durability video and then on top of that taking criticisms and making new videos.

It really pays off to read a thread before you post on it.

Good work Steve and Vibram for making our sport a little more environmentally friendly.

Any plans on creating a understable putter. I love my Classic Aviar flight path, no bead. With the lack of "beating in" it would have to be really understable out of the box.

On that note any plans for a full line of discs?

It really pays off to read a thread before you post on it.

Good work Steve and Vibram for making our sport a little more environmentally friendly.

Any plans on creating a understable putter. I love my Classic Aviar flight path, no bead. With the lack of "beating in" it would have to be really understable out of the box.

On that note any plans for a full line of discs?

Thanks all for pointing out the reason we tested against other comparably grippy discs first and for pointing out that I am editing a test against premium plastics. That saved me some typing.

It takes quite a bit to make me pissed. Even the fellow that said that he would never try a Vibram disc because I was clearly a dunderhead (or something like that) only made me chuckle. Kill 'em with kindness is what my mom taught me and she's a smart cookie.

Regarding an understable putt and approach disc right out of the box, we've got the Summit. You can see all three of our discs on this page:

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/index2.html

I expect within two years we will have a relatively complete lineup of discs. Slow and steady and make sure everything is well tested is the motto here.

From what I've read from this post (just the first 2 pages), most of you people just have no idea. Do you think pros are using Champion, Star, ESP, or Z putters? Hahahaha. Wrong.

The video proved a point. And its a valid point.

Steve, it was nice to meet you in St. Paul last month. Don't let the clueless fools get to you.

It's marketing, and in a way it can be viewed as negative marketing becasue he holds up other companies discs and give them a thumbs down. It's not 100% negative marketing because he uses it to illustrate something his disc does well, but the negative aspect is there. People get emotionally attached to products, so if you're a big Magnet head the video of Steve giving it the thumbs down multiple times probably ticks you off. From that aspect I'm really not surprised that it got under some people's skin, and I'm not surprised that the responses were more emotional than rational becasue it is an emotional button that this kind of marketing triggers.

Marketing aside, the Vibram putters make me wish I still retailed golf discs. I really think I could sell a boatload of these discs.

Last edited:
Man I didn't realize that people on this board were so good that they never hit a tree so hard off the tee that they cringed.

Steve, you should set up a sheet of metal and dink them all off the top at putting speeds (thus representing a bogey band). I have seen a DX Aviar get a 2" gash .5" deep after a 30' hit.

Latest posts