• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf is dead.

It's refreshing to see disc golfers feel something about a brand, whether it's negative or not. We're here to provoke thought. Milktoast is done, saturated. Disc Golf needs some boldness.

I for one have never felt the need to be "stylish" or "bold" when I go out on the course, but pretty much every alternative sport out there has no shortage of companies trying to package "hip" apparel to those who play it. I don't see why ours would be any different.

So, while I see nothing for sale that I need, I wish GID much success.

Sad thing is that today's mentality is that you cannot promote one thing without tearing down something else. Happens in politics, restaurants, music -- everything. It's not enough to say something positive about what you're promoting; you have to tear down something else.

Don't like it. Won't take part in it. Won't buy the stuff.

I skimmed some of the responses on this thread, so if this has been said I apologize.

However, regardless if you like or dislike this company, its products, etc... it inspired a thread of 125+ posts about it. That's good marketing.

Sad thing is that today's mentality is that you cannot promote one thing without tearing down something else. Happens in politics, restaurants, music -- everything. It's not enough to say something positive about what you're promoting; you have to tear down something else.

Don't like it. Won't take part in it. Won't buy the stuff.

That is totally not true . . . I feel tearing someone else down makes you look worse . . . let your mind, creativity, communiction ability, personality do the talking. You can be a positive person through and through and promote whatever you are super passionate about. The problem is it is hard to be bold and put yourself out there because noone wants to get bashed but there are so many "haters" out there that just want to tear others down.

With that said, do I like the shirts and logo so far . . . no . . . is it clever and different . . . sure . . . but if you read their statement it is bold and forward thinking and might turn out to be the next big thing. Who am I to limit where they might be able to go with their business. I wonder what Dynamic Discs said first when their business started. Were they made fun of and bashed or was everyone 100% behind them from day 1?

I am starting a disc golf business of my own right now and guess what I am prepared to be bashed because my first tournament I ever run will not be stocked with 1000 discs . . . why because I cannot afford to buy all that stuff up front. i need profit to build inventory. I am sure my logos and stuff will not be up to par with everyone, at least int he beginning. There simply are people who will support and there are people who will tear down. I know it is simply the way of the world. I don't agree with it, because who am I to judge someone passion or creativity. Let them figure out for themselves if they are making a good decision to go into business or not. It's ok to say you don't like something, but don't bash them as if you speak for the masses.

...regardless if you like or dislike this company, its products, etc... it inspired a thread of 125+ posts about it. That's good marketing.

This guy ^ is spot on.

Getting a business off the ground is....well after the initial uphoria of " Imma gone do this thing," comes the hard work and $elling a product or a service is marketing. Remember a short time back that new fangled thing called twitter...lol....it took a lot of initial negative response. But people buy the dog-gon-est things and services.

Finding your initial market. A sale. Feedback. Two sales. That's how it starts and I give 'Golf is Dead' props on going right to the core of potential customers. Disc Golf Course Review. He's getting lots of feedback very quickly. Yeah disc golfers are a quirky bunch. So it's not surprizing to see a negative take from the majority...so far.

Look at the way we talk about innova and their profit minded releasing ever faster continually changing molds. A lot of us throw innova everyday.

I'm waiting on the "Golf is Dead_ What is Par?" tee-shirt. That'll be cool. One in an XL in white please.

How about "Don't like authority figures . . .Come throw your discs at Kops!"

I skimmed some of the responses on this thread, so if this has been said I apologize.

However, regardless if you like or dislike this company, its products, etc... it inspired a thread of 125+ posts about it. That's good marketing.

Only in the short term. Controversy or hype get attention, but they don't have staying power, especially in a world where people are very fickle with their wallets and have so many purchasing choices available.

Just the image it's self without words makes me think of rebel ball golfers, golfers that like ball golf but don't want to wear silly pants, collared shirts, and schedule tee times. Much like myself as a kid who lived a few years of the 6th green of a course in FL and would sneak on after dinner and play a few holes.

Just the image it's self without words makes me think of rebel ball golfers, golfers that like ball golf but don't want to wear silly pants, collared shirts, and schedule tee times. Much like myself as a kid who lived a few years of the 6th green of a course in FL and would sneak on after dinner and play a few holes.

This is why I play disc golf. I love the logo even though it's wrong. I'll be wearing one to the next jimmy b. concert I go to. Oh yeah, I'm also the guy that you flip off because I honked during your backswing. Just a minor battle won in the golf vs. disc golf war. The best thing to do is after a golfer drives and turns around to get into the cart throw 3 or more balls on the fairway. They always get pissed but take the longest ball. Honestly it would have been better to go with something like ; "disc golf, golf's crazy uncle", " disc golf, golf's side bi*ch" etc.

What you'll see represented more in future designs is that we promote an extremely positive and strong portrayal of Disc Golf while maintaining the provocative brand name and statements about the state of traditional golf in this day and age. Most of the launch products simply introduce the brand, and our Declaration of Independence and FAQ on Facebook can tell you the full scope of what we're about. Our DG Love tee is most indicative of future direction, with the entire back sporting nothing but positive words about Disc Golf.

Nobody's bringing down golf. It's our favorite game when you get down to it. The way we golf is with discs, and in order for the general public to understand that Disc Golf is the modern evolution of the game, they're gonna need some shock therapy.

The best thing to do is after a golfer drives and turns around to get into the cart throw 3 or more balls on the fairway. They always get pissed but take the longest ball.

I don't know a golfer that doesn't know the type of golf ball he/she just hit. Usually they have a unique mark on them too (at least mine do). I would just pocket the other three balls and hit my own.

Only in the short term. Controversy or hype get attention, but they don't have staying power, especially in a world where people are very fickle with their wallets and have so many purchasing choices available.
You're point being? Nobody shops in a vacuum. I'm sure you don't always go to the site/store unseen and shop purely on price point. Previous experience, marketing (positive and negative), branding, customer service, and price all figure into your decisions, whether deliberately or subliminally. It's a initial marketing effort to generate buzz and initial purchases which (assuming the experience is good and repeatable) create a customer base and repeat business.

Latest posts