• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good courses around St. Paul, MN??

camb198

Bogey Member
My brother and I are going to Gottagogottathrow in Golden valley mn on Friday and we are wondering what courses are nearby and worth playing. Maybe even other good places to find good deals on discs also. We have already been to fairway fliers, are there any other good disc stores?

Golden Valley on the west side of Minneapolis, and St. Paul east. So unless you want to drive 25 minutes to get to St. Paul I would recommend playing courses around GGGT. Bassett Creek is just NE of GGGT by a mile or two. If you really want to got o St. Paul to play then I highly recommend playing Kaposia, which is just south of downtown by a couple miles on HWY52.

If you are on the west side you may as well make the slightly longer drive to BRP over driving across town to the St. Paul courses.

It says you're from pine city, so I suppose you play BRP a lot. Unfortunately, the good courses in the cities are all a long ways from Golden Valley, in my opinion. Kaposia and North Valley are probably my two favorite courses, but both quite a ways. Out of the courses nearby, I'd just go play Bassett, seems like it's the most worthwhile of the courses near GGGT.

Hey Cameron, Plymouth Creek is close to GGGT, and pretty fun, but at this time of year you're missing out on the Three Rivers Park District courses (Bryant, Hyland, Elm Creek).

Kaposia has been mentioned, but since you're already traveling so far, leave 30 minutes earlier and make time to play the south metro courses, including Oakwood, the Valley, Red Oak and Brockway.

I will actually be driving past BRP on 65 and maybe stopping at a Play it again to check the bargin bins ;-). I kinda wanna play BRP but my bro thinks it will take too much time to play a round. How is BRP in the winter as I have only played in the summer maybe 5 or 6 rounds. Is GGGT the only good store around? Thanks guys for the recommendations! Oh and our timeframe is from 10am-6pm to play

There is also Plymouth Creek. It is 10 minutes or less from GGGT. Take the GGGT exit onto 169, go south less than a mile until you hit 55, take that west until you cross over 494, and then head north on Fernbrook. The course will be on your west side.

Plymouth is a 12 hole that will definitely test your ability to not hit trees but should not completely frustrate you. It is far better than Bassett. The only issue you may have is that it might be sloppy if the snow is melting.

I know that it does not help you now, but in the spring when the Three Rivers courses open, you will have more choices on the west side.

I concur that if you are coming down from Pine City that BRP will be worth the trip. They do have a Pro Shop there, but the prices are generally a dollar to two dollars higher than GGGT. I do not know at what point from Pine City you would have to get on Highway 65, but once you are on there, it should be easy to find.

Otherwise, if you are coming down I35, you still have other choices.

Lochness in Blaine is right off I35W. Not a premier course, but it will test your long game. It is only 9 holes but they have 3 tees for each one, essentially making it a 27 hole course. Holes 1, 2, 5, 8, and 9 even from the short spot are over 400 feet long. Most of those from the long spot are over 700 feet long. It will test your long game, but they are not completely wide open field shots. While most of them are relatively open, they do have squeeze points. Holes 3 and 8 are basically a crap shoot unless you have perfect pinpoint accuracy.

Acorn is a few miles east of I35W, and is only a mile from Fairway Flyerz. An older course and not in the best of shape, but it is an enjoyable course because it still has enough challenge. While not open field, it has open fairways making it possible to park most holes with above average shots.

There are several smaller courses that are on your way to GGGT like Silverview, Hanson, Sunnyside, and Central Park. They are great if you want to boost your total course count here on DGCR. Most of them have one or two really nice holes surrounded by several non-descript ones. You should be able to play multiple rounds rather quickly if that is what you are looking for. They are great for testing out new discs as it is hard to lose discs there, but if this is a rare trip for you, again unless you are boosting your course count and playing several of them, they may not be worth your while.

I am not ragging on Kaposia or The Valley, they are great courses, but if you are making GGGT a necessary trip, getting to those courses during the weekday from Golden Valley could be a nightmare. 62 is generally stacked both directions, 494 is a nightmare nearing Highway 100 and 169, and 94 between the downtowns is rather hit or miss (either 15 minutes or 2 hours).

Those two courses, along with Red Oak, might be worth your while if you are willing to hang out at Air Traffic in Burnsville. They are having a disc swap from 5 to 8pm. They do have some discs and their prices are acceptable, but again not as good as GGGT or quite the selection. I have not cleared it with my wife yet, but I am going to try to make this disc swap but not likely showing up before 6:30pm.

How many people show up to the disc swap? That is pretty sweet! I might have to ask if he wants to go there...just have to be back in Cambridge by 7 to pick up my fiance ;-)

I will actually be driving past BRP on 65 and maybe stopping at a Play it again to check the bargin bins ;-). I kinda wanna play BRP but my bro thinks it will take too much time to play a round. How is BRP in the winter as I have only played in the summer maybe 5 or 6 rounds. Is GGGT the only good store around? Thanks guys for the recommendations! Oh and our timeframe is from 10am-6pm to play

The Blaine PIAS has a good selection of used discs, especially ones that were once pulled from BRP. I think, but do not quote me on this, that the people who were allowed to go swimming at BRP are no longer allowed to bring them to PIAS because they were not turning in the discs with names on them to the BRP Pro Shop. I have personally dumped four or five discs with my name on them at BRP but they have never shown up in the BRP Lost and Found bins. They were lost in the water that most people would not casually go swimming in.

As for BRP, it is the best course for playing in the winter. Ray Jordan goes way above and beyond keeping that course winter playable. Tee pads are always in great shape, and thanks to the warmer weather, he is still working on course improvements. If you are playing on a weekday, it generally takes only 2.5-3 hours per round. You can move faster if you do not have to search for discs. The flow from hole to hole is tremendous, even in the winter (which should especially not be a problem because of the lack of deep snow). If it is just me and maybe one other person and keep up our pace, I have played it 1.5 hours.

The Pro Shop mostly carries Innova and Discraft. Of those two manufacturers they have a very decent selection. A little bit of everything, but likely not going to have a specific weight or color if you are super picky. They do have a few Latitude discs as well as Gateway, but Innova and Discraft are their mainstays. Again, their prices are a dollar to three dollars higher than GGGT, but their saving grace is obviously they have discs there if you lose something on the course and are so desperate to try something out while you are there. They are also open on Sunday, something GGGT and Fairflyerz are not.

How many people show up to the disc swap? That is pretty sweet! I might have to ask if he wants to go there...just have to be back in Cambridge by 7 to pick up my fiance ;-)

You are not going to make it to Cambridge in time. Getting out of Burnsville is going to be a mess if you have to leave before 6pm.

I tried the disc swap at the Roseville Air Traffic and I was the only one there for the first hour and a half. I had a friend show up after I left and he told me than two other people eventually came in but did not have much to trade. I sold a few discs to those who worked there, but really not enough to make it worth my while and my two kids who came with me and had to sit around and not play with the toys for sale in the shop.

However, I have been told that with GGGT and Fairway Flyerz far enough away from Burnsville that that particular Air Traffic sees a decent crowd because of Red Oak and Alimagnet being close. Again, from what I have been told, the best time to show up for these swaps is around 6 to 6:30pm.

You are not going to make it to Cambridge in time. Getting out of Burnsville is going to be a mess if you have to leave before 6pm.

I tried the disc swap at the Roseville Air Traffic and I was the only one there for the first hour and a half. I had a friend show up after I left and he told me than two other people eventually came in but did not have much to trade. I sold a few discs to those who worked there, but really not enough to make it worth my while and my two kids who came with me and had to sit around and not play with the toys for sale in the shop.

However, I have been told that with GGGT and Fairway Flyerz far enough away from Burnsville that that particular Air Traffic sees a decent crowd because of Red Oak and Alimagnet being close. Again, from what I have been told, the best time to show up for these swaps is around 6 to 6:30pm.

I can confirm that the Burnsville Air Traffic gets a nice croud for the disc swap. I used to live down in the south metro and it's the only store that sells discs down there. If you have to be back by 7 then there is no way you're going to be able to get to it and back in time.

If you do plan to come down to the south metro, (red oak, alimagnet, brockway) let me know and I can show you around if you want.

Also one of our local guys has been really vocal about trying to get a bunch of people down there for the disc swap, so I expect a pretty good size, and alot of the guys that show up constantly have a ton of discs with them.

Are there any other swap meets coming up? I want to go but have to leave the cities earlier than that. What are GGGTs hours on friday and do they have some good deals on tourney stamps and stuff? For some reason I can't find the hours on the website.

Since you're driving right past BRP you pretty much have to play. In the winter, it's by far the best place to play.

Hit up GGGT in the morning, and then drive back up to BRP and play the day away. You could even stop at Ham Lake DGC and play a quick warm up 18 there, then go play BRP. You won't have to deal with any traffic on the way out of the city then and you can maximize your disc time and minimize the driving. You play anywhere south of 694 and you end up in a giant cluster**** of traffic after 430 pm or so.

Are there any other swap meets coming up? I want to go but have to leave the cities earlier than that. What are GGGTs hours on friday and do they have some good deals on tourney stamps and stuff? For some reason I can't find the hours on the website.

Monday and Friday 9-5
Tuesday through Thursday 9-7

They toyed with the idea of a disc swap at GGGT but it has not happened yet. There are trying to think up ways of getting people to come in, like mini-games around the store.

As for tourney stamps, I think they ran out of the Winter Carnival Cryztal discs, but they should have the fundraiser stuff that most other stores carry. They would be on the website. They also have in the discs to be stamped/ dyed for the Majestic, but it might be a while before they are available to be purchased. I know they are going to make a bigger push this year to get more unique discs, especially through Discraft's fundraising program.

Since you're driving right past BRP you pretty much have to play. In the winter, it's by far the best place to play.

Hit up GGGT in the morning, and then drive back up to BRP and play the day away. You could even stop at Ham Lake DGC and play a quick warm up 18 there, then go play BRP. You won't have to deal with any traffic on the way out of the city then and you can maximize your disc time and minimize the driving. You play anywhere south of 694 and you end up in a giant cluster**** of traffic after 430 pm or so.

Mostly this. Ham Lake may be a mess though. Holes 14-17 sit lower in the park and are easily flooded. With the melting snow this week, it might be a little sloppy. Otherwise, it is a very nice course that unfortunately suffers because of how close it is to BRP.

Ham Lake will be sloppy for sure. I'd imagine pretty much every course will though. A week of 40's in January tends to have that effect. Bring the appropriate foot wear and/or a back up pair for when you're done.

Well I think we decided upon Heading down 65, Stopping at PIAS to hopefully spot some nice cheapies and then head to GGGT and then back up 65 to BRP until we have to leave around 6:30pm. Anywhere else thats a must go or is this the best midday trip? Thanks for all your help guys!

Ham Lake DGC is literally 1/4 of a mile off 65 between PIAS in Blaine and BRP in East Bethel. It's one of the better short 18 hole courses around. Lots of fun short par 3's. Tons of ace and birdie opportunities. Good warm up and confidence booster for BRP. If you've never played, it's probably worth stopping.