• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good headwind driver for a Wraith thrower?

money 21 said:
have you tried a heavy opto striker?

Heavy regular PLH or heavy high PLH? I have never tried a striker but know that they vary GREATLY.

I was really looking for something Wraith-speed but without a bigger rim. I will see how the Pulse does (never really hear anything about this disc on DGR) and see how beefy of Wraiths I can find. And there's always the DD. When I don't need all the speed, I've got things covered with Preds or C-PDs.

Of course I always need an excuse to try new discs so Starfire and I might try to make friends.

I have had several domey opto strikers that might fit what you want. An OOP suggestion is the esp venom. this is a solid disc that I never understood why it didn't catch on. imilar to a tee-rex

I stopped using the ESP venom because it would get flipped in a headwind since it was very speed stable.

jamon said:
Flicks have narrow rims and are pretty fast, and with 350' of wraith D it would make a great wind fighter.

It looks like the Flick has my desirable rim width, but might be too beefy into a wind? Is it one of those super speed sensitive discs?

Ah, so this is why you asked. Yes, a flatter S-DD could work very well as a headwind disc for a Wraith-thrower. I won't make any guarantees (I don't throw the flats that much) but it's worth a shot.

I have one that is probably the flattest or the second flattest disc I've ever seen. It worked very well in headwinds when I tried it out. My other flat S that doesn't look quite as freaky also fared well.

Quick update.

Well there was some decent wind today and I got to try out some of my more stable Wraiths and my one Pulse. I have one Star Wraith that, with my current distance, is more than beefy enough to deal with headwinds. And a champ Wraith that is not far behind in terms of stability. The Pulse I have is flat and really beefy and I can't imagine it flipping for anything.

I have a couple of Starfires on the way and a decent C-PD and Predator collection so I think I'm set. Of course I love buying more discs so I'm on the hunt for some flat DDs, but at this point it looks like beefy Wraiths are more than enough disc to handle the wind for me.

A Teerex-X would be a great choice here. Teerex-X's are CFR discs and not as easy to find, but at least they are still in production. The original Teerex's are soooo hard to come by these days.

Another good option would be a beat up Star Max. A Star Max will never let you down in a headwind, but it also doesn't have much glide.

well since you don't like the Avenger then you may want to try a Trident. Pulse seems a good fit too. anyone mentioned a Crush? I also endorse the Predator.

EDIT: what is everyone's beef with the Avenger rim?

I second the TRX and for even more beef a broken in Star Xcaliber. And if more is needed a new Star or even beefier a Champ Xcal or you could get a real wind beater such as a Force or the shorter sick beefy Spirit.

There are probably others that are interested in this thread so keep the suggestions with rims >2.1cm coming. For me they're too big. The Max has a small enough rim, but Teerex and Xcal are to big.

That being said, I just got a Blitz today and the rim width feels the same as the Flow, which I can grip.

I think the Trident doesn't really gain me anything that the Predators in my bag don't already give me.

As for the Avenger rim, it is yucky.

I've been trying trying out OLFs and PDs in the same slot(s). Do the QOLFs do really well in the wind, I haven't given them a good go in that circumstance?

I forgot to mention the XXX as a possibility and it has a way thinner rim and easier shape to grip than most sick beefy discs. It's not long like the Spirit because both are so hard and early fading that they lose serious D to the other alternatives. I use two headwind discs for long drives usually. A beat Star Xcaliber or a Champion TRX for straighter flights and a Force when i need more fade. Xcal/TRX choice depends on the course i'm playing in. Rougher places are the domain of Champion plastic.

Avengers are nasty to those whose skin hasn't thickened and toughened from playing or otherwise. I had trouble with sharp discs for the first two or almost three years of using golf discs. The two years with lids prior to that did probably nothing to toughen up my skin.

Every star wraith I've ever thrown has been a glideless, super over-stable pig of a disc. I throw 3 different champ wraiths and one pro version across every wind condition. A fresh, domey champ wraith is perfect in a headwind for me. My normal drive is a low hyzer-flip to 380'-390', I just adjust the amount of flip based on wind.

I dunno much about disc golf, but if you throw a star wraith 350, you may not be throwing the disc fast enough.

I tried a Force and TeeRex in this slot, like others have mentioned. The Force was noticeably wider. The TeeRex was great but you have to get an old star one.

JR, I love my xXx(s). In a scary wind I might throw only them.

I am most definitely barely meeting the power requirements for Wraiths and preferentially pull out S-PDs or QOLFs unless the little bit of extra distance is needed. And since I throw Predators (or C-PDs) I have something already in my bag that I can rely on in the wind.
All that being said, I figure that getting distance in the wind is hard enough so the fastest disc that I can handle that can also handle the wind is something that is good to have even if it very rarely gets used.

I have 4 champ and 5 star Wraiths. The flippier ones are the seasoned Star ones and the most stable one is Star as well, but it only just barely beats out a 175g regular dome champ in terms of HSS.

How are Glow Wraiths? Are they beefier than regular.

I haven't even seen a glow Wraith. Do you have a Champion Wraith that is way higher in dome than other Wraiths? I'm talking probably over a tenth of an inch taller dome than most Wraiths. For a 350' thrower that should tackle most winds just fine. Super domey Flash should work too and the early flattish beefy Star Starfires. I've only heard of super overstable Starfires in Star and from hearsay later runs aren't as beefy. That is slower than the Wraith and with a thinner wing and an easier grip but may work well if a Wraith still fades out early despite headwinds.

Unfortunately for you in the short term faster discs than Wraiths cut through headwinds better and maintain speed for longer thus fade a little later and go farther. It is a good thing to know more goodies are available once you gain power and flexibility in the hand to handle wider rimmed discs. That should help in motivating you for training hand strength. That will be a limiting factor for distance throwing eventually so it is a good idea to start working on it before hand.

Latest posts